Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

2003 NDARC PARTY DRUG SYMPOSIUM

johnboy

Bluelight Crew
UPDATE: .pdfs of most of the presentations added. They have all the exact figures and statistics in them. Well worth the download. Especially Dr Quinn's

Here's my report on the symposium. I will be adding links to the recordings, as well as elaborating on specific parts as I remember things, or anyone asks specific questions.

I was invited to attend by Paul Dillon, to represent a user group as well as to introduce the activities of Enlighten, and Bluelight, to the conventional harm reduction world.

The 2003 NDARC Party Drugs Symposium was held at the Millenium Hotel , Kings Cross on Thursday, February 20.
This forum addressed a range of issues surrounding the use, harms and responses to the use of party drugs such as ecstasy, methamphetamines (speed, crystal, ice), ketamine, and GHB.
The forum attracted a wide audience including health, law enforcement, community groups, users, and researchers. The impetus for the forum came from repeated interest in presentations that members of the NDARC staff have given around the country on topics regarding party drug use, and continued demand for information particularly on the use, harms and issues surrounding the use of newer party drugs.

http://notes.med.unsw.edu.au/ndarc.nsf/website/News.symposium

8.15 am REGISTRATION

Only just made this as my flight was cancelled. Went up to the desk and introduced myself. They couldn't find a name tag for me and asked suspiciously if I had registered. "Er no, I'm giving a presentation". So I had to write out my own badge, and I wrote "Enlighten Pill Testing Guy" on it.

9.00 am Introduction and Opening Address – Professor Richard Mattick

While he was talking I was trying to subtly set up the mini-disc.

• New drugs, new risks: the current state of play in Australia - Mr Paul Dillon .pdf here

An overview of where we are at today and how things have change. I'll be putting up the file of this as soon as possible as it is most pertinent to us. Paul actually says that the reality is that MDMA is a "relatively benign substance" and the dangers have been blown totally out of proportion by the media. I refer to this, and his comments that this has turned most people away from the media, in my talk.

• Party drug use in NSW – the results of the 2002 IDRS Party Drug Trends - Dr Louisa Degenhardt .pdf here

Basically running through the results of this survey.

• Party drugs – the New South Wales Police perspective - Superintendent Frank Hansen .pdf here

Umm I don't actually remember much about this. The usual mix of commitment to harm reduction mixed with a strong commitment to supply reduction.

10.30 am MORNING TEA

This is when I got grabbed by Bernadette from JJJ to do those sound bites. This meant not only did I miss out on the yummy cakes but I also missed the beginning of...

11.00 am SESSION 2 – Dr Jan Copeland, CHAIR
• Ecstasy: patterns of use and harms in Australia - Ms Bridget Barker
.pdf here

I'll have to listen to the recording of this myself.

• What is actually in your ecstasy? - Dr Cate Quinn, Manager Drug Branch, Victoria Forensic Science Centre .pdf here

Fascinating. Not so much because it was anything we didn't already know but more that was exactly what we suspected and completely contrary to what has been released to the media.
Dr Quinn was one of only two people to refuse to allow me to put her talk up on the net, although she did allow me to talk about it.
The trends with pills are much as we have observed; increasingly high amount of pills containing MDxx, dropping rates of amphetamine and a leveling amount of ketamine pills. Of those pills that contain MDMA 84% don't contain anything else, 7% contain amphetamine, 4% contain ketamine and 1% contain other minor stimulants like caffeine and ephedrine. This means that only 4% of pills contain nothing or dangerous chemicals. (the above figures refer to pills seized and analyzed within Victoria)

This is very important for our work, as we can infer from this that a purple/black test will 84% of the time not be masking anything else. Of course we still need to worry about the unknown and can never be complacent but it is still encouraging.
It was also stressed that much of the danger with pills comes from the left over chemicals, or by products of, the clandestine manufacturing process.

Dr Quinn also introduced the new State and Federal Pill Testing Database and discussed it's implementation. The screenshot looked hilariously like pillreports. I had to laugh, especially as later on I'd be showing an actual shot of pillreports and it would be obvious to everyone.

During the question section I asked whether harm reduction groups would be allowed access to the database. She replied that applications would have to be made and I would be welcome to make one. We'll see how that goes ;)

• Ketamine: patterns of use and harms associated with non-medical ketamine use - Mr Paul Dillon .pdf here

Interesting summary of a project NDARC has just completed. Recording up soon.

• Crystal: is it a passing fad? - Dr Louisa Degenhardt .pdf here

Another study by NDARC. Again you'll have to wait for the recording.

12.30 pm LUNCH

Me, I was too nervous to eat but the food looked good. Caught up with the guys from AIVIL and discussed the Meth Injectors project I've been helping them with. Might be asking here for people who would like to contribute to a survey.

1.30 pm SESSION 3 – Dr Rebecca McKetin, CHAIR
• GHB: characteristics of users, use patterns and associated harms - Dr Louisa Degenhardt
.pdf here

This was the study that many of us Bluelighters were involved in.
.wma file here (2.8 meg file)

• GHB, predatory drugs and the Attack of the Clones - Dr David Caldicott, Emergency Registrar
Royal Adelaide Hospital

Fascinating and very honest description of G use in Adelaide as well as national and international trends. I will shortly be putting up the recording but I have had to bleep it a few times as he mentions the names of a few suppliers, and to post it here intact would be a violation of BLUA. I've emailed him about this and he has agreed.

• Drug facilitated sexual assault – can toxicological screening prove it? - Dr John Lewis, Head of the Toxicology Unit, Pacific Laboratory Medicine Services

This guy was a no-bullshit scientist who very quickly cut thru the crap surrounding this controversial topic.

3.00 pm AFTERNOON TEA

Spent the whole thing nervously pacing around.

3.30 pm SESSION 4 – Dr Louisa Degenhardt, CHAIR
• Party drug emergencies: what is happening and how should we respond? - Dr Gordian Fulde, Head of Accident and Emergency, St Vincent’s Hospital

This would have to have been the oddest presentation by far. It began with a video of a sketch from Not The Nine O'clock News, and was interspersed with seemingly random Larson cartoons. That said Dr Fulde is a guy who knows his shit. He presented a summary of the types of incidents that St Vincent’s has to deal with on a daily basis. I will try to put up the recording but Dr Fulde asked to be able to listen to it first.

• Adulterants testing in Australia: a grass roots initiative - Mr John Davidson, Enlighten

.wma file here (5 meg file)
.mp3 file here (6 meg file)
lame Powerpoint presentation here (500k file)

Transcript of the questions at the end:

• Harm reduction: a nightclub response to party drugs - Mr Tim Waugh, C-Moog Nightclub .pdf here

Tim used to be the manager of Home in Sydney. His talk outlined the security and harm reduction methods they initiated at Home, and talked about the realities of the nightclub world. What ever you might think about Home at least they tried. Alas they sold up and left after the third death there. This last death wasn't even an ecstasy related one, the girl succumbed to a mixture of anti-depressants, used recreationally.

(please let me know if any links are dead)

Last edited:
Johnboy : Can you post a copy of your "lame" powerpoint presentation :)

done. all the presentations will soon be available from the NDARC site, or so I hear.

There were a lot of cops there, from both Federal and State services, and many were high in their respective Drug Policy sections, from what I could tell. Quite a few lower level police as well.
Steve Vaughn, who is apparently the AFP guy in charge of Drug Analysis was also there and heard my talk. Paul said he enjoyed it, but alas he left before I could have a chat with him.
I think there were quite a few government health department people there as well.
I think the link to Loise's .wma file is broken. Farkin' Telstra Cable is messed up right now.
[ 24 February 2003: Message edited by: johnboy ]

Much appreciated, thanks johnboy :)
Lets hope we can get access to this state and nation wide pill testing database when it's ready...
It says there was a wide audience, but can any average Joe Blow attend?

Great work JB, sounds like this could be great for Bluelight. Authorities appreciating us for what we are and sharing information for the greater good.

Great post JB - I am sure you got the required message across & hope at least most of the audience was receptive to enlightened dialogue. Anyhow, curious as to Dr Quins stats: what was the quantum of pills tested, i.e was it substantial or was it a small batch and the results were inferred? Was it by volume 'brand'/ pill logo? etc etc. Given the amount of bickkies that have been siezed in the past 12 months, you would think the samply would be quite large.
Anyhow, cheers and thanks from all the Bluelighters for all of your hard work in getting the right message across.
< Panda out >

Fucking excellent speech johnboy. :) Excellent work..
Love the cold & flu joke ;)
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
Double thumbs up :D

Many thanks on behalf of everyone who really does care about this issue.
One of the most positive things i have seen in a LONG time.
I'm interested in those figures you gave on the pills. The pills with only MDMA: the bottom 4% would have to include MDA and MDEA combinations yes as they did not appear elsewhere?
Also did they outline the percentage of MDXX pills vs the TOTAL seised, and how many MDXX pills were MDMA containing?
We may be finally able to dispel this myth here on Bluelight and particularly pillreports that many MDXX pills are something other than MDMA or are MDMA in combinations with other subtances including other MDXXs.
I also like how she highlighted it was the precursors/reagents which were left over in the majority of pills which posed a great danger.
I have long believed that it is this cleanliness factor, or purity of a pill, which contributes to the massive variations in their effects on users. (along with dose and set/setting of course).
When one considers the subjective effects of ketamine and real GHB they are remarkably similar, between separate sources and across users. Why, they are almost always a "pure" source.
Effects of amphetamines on the other hand are grossly different between samples and its more than simply dose - why, due to their massive differences in purity as they are illicitly produced. But rarely do people get worked up on trying to blame the IDENTITY of the drug as they do for pills.
As JB has now proven, if it tests as MDXX its very likely to be only MDMA - all the massive differences are due to the in part the same reasons for the variations in speed - the purity of the sample of MDMA going into that little pill.
Again thanks JB; will look forward to wading through all the transcripts.

Perhaps I have been to one too many of these symposiums, but Johnboy's presentation was pretty much the only thing I enjoyed all day (perhaps it was because i'd been up for more than 48 hours as well, but that's another story.)
it wasn't that there was no valuable information, there was, although NDARC are saying they will be holding an "advanced" symposium to more cater to user group/ harm reduction workers sometime in May.
There were a few things which ticked me off:
(i) as Johnboy has already mentioned - there were a lot of cops - in fact I think you could probably say 10-15% of the room (given my state of mind things felt a little too Fear & Loathing at times, but I have been in that situation b4 and still got a lot out of a conference.) My concern was that numbers were limited, and having any one sector - particularly when they are intelligence gathering and not actually going to be involved in reducing harm - dominate in terms of numbers like that is a problem
Nicky (Bath, AIVL) spoke up at the end of the first session to take issue with what a cop presenter had said (he used the words "harm reduction" and "creating a hostile environment for dealers" in the one sentence, which really doesn't wash), and there were people literally coming up to her all day identifying themselves as cops. Niccky & I were also behind a big group of them during JBs prez, and you should have seen the pencils move! nothing, of course, they couldn't get through a netsearch, but it was just annoying.
(ii) Nicky and I both felt there was a real "freak-show" response from many there, and that it was encouraged by the tone of some of the presentations. During Paul Dillon's look at Ketamine he talked about diferent efects, how many K users had experienced them, and whether or not they saw those effects as desireable.
(eg (and this isn't accurate, just an example) 48% of users had trouble moving, 40% said it was desireable). the room pissed itself laughing after each effect. now, i'm all up for jokes about drugs and users, we do some funny stuff, but the tone that came across to me was "ooh, look at that, aren't they odd." there's nothing wrong with trying to achieve a particular effect, that's why we use, and the faster people realise this, the better. that should have been said, all the more so given the very limited time for questions and comments ( i'd really hoped to take this up, but there just wasn't the opportunity at the end of the session.)
(iii) i attended another workshop at the same hotel only a couple of months ago, and the food was at least 10 times better. V cheapskatey, NDARC!
(iv) the ettiquette is that when media are present, they should identify themselves, or the organisers should let people know, which they eventually did. b4 they did, there were several instances where users were easily identifiable from comments, and manhy not have done so had they been aware of the media presence. Much of the outcomes from this, including JBs soundbites, were very positive, but it is wrong to remove the right from audience members to know where things are going to end up if they say something.
Again, i thought your presentation was the definite highlight, Johnboy.
[ 26 February 2003: Message edited by: mibrane ]
[ 26 February 2003: Message edited by: mibrane ]

Was just watching ABC News and there was a report on that woman who was driving home from a rave two years ago and killed the cyclist, I think she was sentenced today in Melbourne or something but I can't find an article on ABC Online.
I was looking around though and found this:
At:
http://www.abc.net.au/pm/s789058.htm
Drug testers warn Police of ecstacy chemical mix
PM - Thursday, February 20, 2003 18:25
MARK COLVIN: The drug ecstasy, it appears, is in much wider use than many Australians realise. Figures out today reveal the use of ecstasy has tripled in the last decade. And a national drug symposium in Sydney has also revealed the existence of a group of people many Australians wouldn't know about; underground drug testers.
They're volunteers who test the purity or otherwise of pills sold or used illegally in nightclubs and other venues. And these underground drug testers are warning that Police don't have the real facts about what's contained in the drugs.
Tanya Nolan reports.
TANYA NOLAN: The figures may be small, but more teenagers are using designer drugs and depending on whose data you rely on, may be using more potent drugs.
A household survey of nearly 3,000 people, conducted by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, reveals 4% of 14 to 17-year-olds have used ecstasy at least once in their lives, and 3% have used the drug in the last year.
And while researchers say those numbers are small, underground drug testers say Police don't have the real picture about the sorts of chemicals being used.
A symposium held today by the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre at the University of New South Wales, heard that police have more information than ever on what designer drugs are around and what's contained in them
Cate Quinn is manager of the Forensic Science Centre within the drug branch of the Victorian Police Service.
CATE QUINN: If you're looking at an authentic ecstasy tablet, which is one that would have MDMA in it and probably an imported tablet, you could be looking at greater than say, 20%-40% of MDMA in it. If you're looking at some of the speed-based tablets and perhaps the more locally manufactured tablets, you're looking at a lower level, maybe around about 5%.
TANYA NOLAN: Cate Quinn says most ecstasy tablets contain fairly benign pharmaceuticals but the impurities created during manufacturing are the potentially harmful component. And she is helping prepare a national database to help gather a greater range of information on the drugs.
She says some of that information relates to the marketing of ecstasy, which helps police track the make-up of various types of tablets.
CATE QUINN: Things like the Mitsubishi logo or there's been, there's another common one, the CK logo and things of that nature. So they tend to appear and be marketed as a logo, and then we look at that logo and we can relate a number or variation within that system.
TANYA NOLAN: But John Davidson says relying on information like logos can give a misleading picture. He's a volunteer with the Victorian group, 'Enlighten', which illegally tests pills bought by patrons in nightclubs and other venues, to determine whether they contain pure ecstasy, certain pharmaceuticals or other potentially harmful substances. And he says more pills are being shown to contain MDMA or pure ecstasy than ever before.
JOHN DAVIDSON: People come up to us at events and they've bought the pills already and they're having them tested there, and they're about to take them at an event, and these people are bringing forth pills that have a higher, well, not higher content of MDMA, but more of the pills we test contain MDMA than you would think.
We're getting up to levels of 60%-80% of the pills that we test contain some MDMA or MDX [inaudible] product. Now, this means that the speed pills in Australia have shrunk considerably over the last five years. When we started testing it was about a 50/50 split.
TANYA NOLAN: Such testing is illegal in Australia, which generally prevents groups like Enlighten from alerting authorities to their findings, a situation John Davidson wants to remedy through changes to the law.
Warnings of potentially fatal drugs are posted on the group's website, but John Davidson says more deaths could be prevented if their testing was made legal and that information could be shared with Police.
JOHN DAVIDSON: Some pills we found last year that contained morphine, morphine and Clemazepan [phonetic], and these were making people very sick, you had hospital admissions left, right and centre. We found out this through gossip that these pills were bad.
We got them into our hands, we tested [inaudible] agents, they gave a reaction and gave opiates. So, we were so worried by this, we took this pill, we sent it away to Amsterdam to be tested, another illegal thing, we broke the law once again, and the test results came back with a high percentage of morphine.
So then we were able to alert people through the websites and various media, to avoid these pills where possible. It was a red CK, this is from last year. CK's were a popular brand a couple of years ago. A logo tells you nothing at all.
So these CKs were produced obviously, to rip off the market of the original good ones, but they were putting some of the worst possible stuff you can imagine in them. People died from these pills.
TANYA NOLAN: Australian Federal Police and the New South Wales Drug Program and Policy State Crime Command were unavailable for comment.
MARK COLVIN: Tanya Nolan.

Very interesting stuff.
I wonder whether that % purity of MDMA in pills is accounting for the amount of binder in there.
25-40% is about right, MDMA to binder. For a 300mg pill thats 75-120mg.
If they were excluding the binder, for a 100mg pill at 30% purity of substance going INTO pill, and another 1/2 worth of binder, your pill would be around 670mg. Doesnt really work does it.
Its also probably why they say the amphetamine pills are only 5% pure. 300mg x 5% = 15mg; a fair dose of amphetamine/methamphetamine.
Dexies are a prime example. Unquestionable PURE source going into the pill, but after inactive binder is added then its "purity" is supposedly 2-4%.
Its poor science like this which is half the problem.
Obviously the MDMA is not pure, but its considerably more than 25-40%.
[ 27 February 2003: Message edited by: Biscuit ]

Bsicuit: I totaly agree. We are trapped by language more suited for the discussion of powders than pills. Drug science, especially in the law enforcement end, is in a timewarp, harking back to the days of heroin and cocaine.
As for Dr Quin's comments on purity, in her defence she addressed this very issue in her talk, discussing the common binders and fillers used in pill manufacture, and how this is a large part of a pills make up. Unfortunately I can't put her speech up for you all to listen.
But one thing she mentioned in this part of her talk was that these binders/fillers were almost always standard types used in pharmeceuticals, and even went on to add that (paraphrasing) "This may upset some of my colleagues (looking at the police in the audience perhaps?) but we have found no ground glass in pills, and no kitty litter" She went on to mention that paper is sometimes found, supposedly trips, but no LSD has been detected.

just a random thought on paper in pills...
I know paper towel tests black to EZ-Tests... would it be possible they'd chuck some in to fool the tester? Not sure if it'd be possible, just had a thought.

Absolutely. That's why you look for blue/purple as the reaction proceeds to black. Sometimes the purple will even appear after the black. This is probably due to reaction with binder constituents or masking agents. Soma or Cowboy Mac may be able to offer further explanation.
As you have noted anfalicious, most paper turns black with Marquis and Mandelin. Many other things do also. Therefore it is highly unreliable to just look for just a black colour change.
If ever the result is doubtful, try repeating on a piece of glass over a light source. Short lived colour changes are usually more visible.

Actually paper towel does not turn the Marquis solution black, the paper turns black. Remember that Marquis is largely acid so it will turn most organic things black, including your skin if you leave it there long enuf. It is a colour change in the chemical itself you are looking for.
[ 01 March 2003: Message edited by: johnboy ]

Thanks for that JB. I'll make sure I'll read the presentations once I am home tomorrow.. Cheers.....................................

Awesome work JB, I know I'll be spending many hours of study time reading those pdf's :)

Great stuff JB. Couple of questions in regards to Kate Quinn's presentation. Page 5, Combination tablets;
e.g.
--------------- Methylamphetamine 7%
|
MDMA ---------------Ketamine 2%
|
--------------- Mild stimulants (caffeine/ephedrine) 9%

I pressume she is saying; where the major constituent was MDMA, 7% of combination tablets analysed also contained meth, 2% contained Ketamine etc.

Also with the purity breakdown chart on page 4, what's the maximum value on the y axis? I thought 80%, but this would mean not one of those tested were this pure.

And lastly, where can one get a prog for deciphering tablet information on page 9 ;)