• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: 21 year old ODs while broadcasting over webcam.

Cowboy Mac

Bluelighter
he was being a dickhead and got owned. respect drugs, or they will fuck you over.
New York Daily News
IRC Weblog
edit: webcam pics of the incident.
"I told u I was hardcore."
Those were the last coherent words Brandon Vedas, 21, typed into the computer in his Phoenix bedroom as he showed off for Internet pals watching on a Web cam by swallowing more and more prescription drugs.
Vedas died online as a crowd of virtual onlookers egged him to "eat more!" A chilling record of the Jan. 12 chat reads like an Internet version of the notorious 1964 Kew Gardens, Queens, stabbing of Kitty Genovese as her neighbors watched from their windows.
In Vedas' case, some did try to help — begging him to stop, to call 911, to get his mother from the next room. After he passed out, some tried frantically to figure out his location while others argued against getting involved.
But the technology that brought as many as a dozen chatters into the intimacy of Vedas' bedroom was unable to tell them where he was. Internet Relay Chat is anonymous, and no one in the drug users' chat group knew the last name of the young man who called himself Ripper.
Vedas was a casualty of a new epidemic: a surge in the recreational use of pharmaceuticals, even as the rate of illegal drug use holds steady or declines. The most recent survey by the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration says 11.1 million people used prescription drugs for fun in 2000, nearly half of whom were under 25.
In New York City, the number of people showing up in emergency rooms after taking too many legal narcotics jumped 47.6% from 2000 to 2001, the most recent year for which numbers are available.
"In 2001, for the first time, we had more emergency room mentions of prescription narcotic analgesics nationally than for heroin," said Dr. Westley Clark, director of the administration's Center for Substance Abuse Treatment.
In Internet discussion groups, users trade tips on how to fake symptoms to con a doctor into prescribing pain relievers, tranquilizers, stimulants and sedatives.
By his own account, bragging in the hour before he died, Vedas ingested large doses of Klonopin, Methadone, Restoril and Inderal, along with marijuana and 151-proof rum. All but the pot and the rum apparently were legally prescribed for him by a doctor and a psychiatric nurse, according to his angry and mystified family.
"It's the ideal situation — it's legal and it's free," said Vedas' brother Rich. "And most people assume that if a doctor is giving you something, it must be fine."
Vedas, who worked in computer support at the University of Phoenix, knew a lot about the dangers of mixing drugs. But he also bragged delusionally about his "high tolerance." His mother knew he had been prescribed pills for depression — but no one in the family knew he was mixing his medicine for fun, his brother said.
On the night of Jan. 12, Vedas urged chat pals to log onto his Web site and watch him go through his stash. "Bottoms up, fellas!" he crowed.
"Don't OD on us, Ripper," said one of the onlookers watching Vedas swallow pill after pill.
"That's not much," said a teenager from rural Oklahoma who calls himself Smoke2K. "Eat more. I wanna see if you survive or if you just black out."
In the macho atmosphere of the druggie chat room, Vedas seemed to have something to prove. "This is usual weekend behavior. U all said I was lying," he said.
He said it was safe and noted, "My mom is in the next room doing crozzwordz."
As he took more and more, Vedas' typing became disjointed. His chat pals cheered him on.
"Ripper — you should try to pass out in front of the cam," suggested one gleeful voyeur.
Vedas even tried to protect himself against disaster.
"In fase anything goe wrong," he said, typing his cell phone number. "Call if I look dead."
Soon, he did.
Soon, he was.
"I am online with 911. Is this the right choice?" asked one chatter. "NO NO NO NO NO," said another. "I talked my way out of it," came the reply. "I didn't give them any info."
In the end, there was nothing they could do.
Vedas' cell phone was off or not loud enough to rouse anyone else in the house. They looked up his Web site registry, but he had listed his home number as 555-1234.
And the online chatters didn't know his real name or location.
His mother found him at 1 p.m. the next day sprawled on his bed. The tech whiz's computer had shut down and locked itself automatically, so it wasn't until more than a week later that the family found out his death had had witnesses.
"It seems like the group mentality really contributed to it," said his brother, calling the transcript "disgusting."
"These people treat it like somehow it's not the real world," he said. "They forget it's not just words on a screen."
[ 09 February 2003: Message edited by: Cowboy Mac ]

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME . . .
peace and blessed be . . .
crow011 . . .

hey, pardon my ignorance, but where on your compoota are chats logged or would they have got them from somewhere else? Thanx for any help

you have to log it yourself
its in the options somewhere
gets saved to c:/mIRC/logs
(on my comp anyway)

I hope this shows how stupid it is to mess with high doses of any substance...especially when taking more than one substance in the one sitting :( We must study up first, as we can't later if we OD & die.

The thing is that if you read the transcript, he said a few times that he knew what he was doing, he just had "a high tolerance".
Unfortunately he overestimated his knowledge on combining the drugs, or forgot it between one or other of the doses :\

Inderal????? why the hell was he taking inderal to get a hit????
i've been prescribed this for stomach problems, and have been told it has something to do with blood pressure but i'm not sure. as far as i know, taking inderal would have done nothing for his hit at all!! maybe it would have thinned his blood so everything else would get into his system quicker, but that's it.

I checked into this after reading the story.
Here are some more links on the subject:
Post Ripper IRC log
Online memorial (really wrenching stuff)
By the sounds of things this guy was probably aiming for suicide. He was mentally unstable already.
I checked out on irc the channel where this all happened as well which has some tight security going, you dont get a voice without being an Op and most of the channels are passworded. Half the people in the transcript go by different alias's now. Did have a word to 'grphish' who features prominently in the log:
<grphish> i know
<grphish> i didn't do anyhting, i told him to stop, im not blamed for anything
<grphish> we all loved ripper
<grphish> but this causes too much attention, this is just too much
<cheshire> You dont need to explain anything to me. its a fucked situation and def not something that anyone would want to be reminded about
(cheshire is my usual nick)
All up it is a fucking tragedy regardless if this was a mistake due to a mental imbalance or sheer ignorance.
I just am a touch iffy on the ignorance claims because the channel that this occured on is a harm minimization chat, in the same vein as Bluelight or Erowid.
Words from his Brother, on a Bulletin Board post
In case you missed my previous post, I am Brandon's brother Rich.
I have read through this entire thread and wanted to make a few comments:
First off, I have read the IRC logs and they are disgusting. That being said,
I do wish that I had been given the chance to see them before they were posted
publicly. However, I am not opposed to them being out there because as so many
of you know, Brandon's death was senseless. He was a genius in many ways, but
in some ways he had no common sense. Good needs to come from this.
I loved Brandon. I do believe though that it is important to be honest about
his death. It is true that ultimately he was responsible for his actions, but
I do hope that (as some have posted and/or alluded to) you can realize that he
was a 21 year old kid who had a messy childhood and was seeking attention.
You feel invincible at 21 and group mentality tends to exaggerate these feelings even more.
So yes there were factors that played into his death (I mean WTF was a doctor
doing prescribing the various meds he was on). I just hope you that are treating
this as some clinical study or worried about being discovered can come to grips
with the fact that Brandon was a real person, with real family and friends that are
hurting. Thank you to those that have realized this and posted kind words. To those
that would say he was a worthless piece of shit or good riddance, simply never knew
him or the potential he had. Drugs can be a slippery slope, especially when there is
no accountability or support system.

Well put it this way.
Technology doesn't, and never professed to prevent idiocy.
-plaz out-

Yeah I am not totally ruling idiocy out.
However just by being a known and recognized member of The Shroomery and a regular on their irc channel you would have thought he would have picked up the basics.
Would have been a very surreal thing to witness an OD live on webcam as he was mashing out his final words on a keyboard and you had no possible way to get help. *shudders*

AFAIK Inderal is a beta-blocker and masks the effects of increased heart rate/pulpatations (sp?), it's also prescribed for migraines. I think this would have made it easier for him to take too much and think he was still OK.

However just by being a known and recognized member of The Shroomery and a regular on their irc channel you would have thought he would have picked up the basics.
Perhaps he did pick up the basics but didn't use the information in the correct way... just being a member of the Shroomery (or Erowid, or Bluelight, et cetera) doesn't make you invincible to the risks of drug use. Knowing harm minimisation principles is not the same thing as practising harm minimisation, and knowing the 'normal' dose ranges for a number of drugs doesn't mean you can take those doses at the same time for added effect.
IMHO a lot of people get wrapped up in the 'socially encouraged' alcohol drug use mindset of "if one drink feels good, two drinks feels great, four drinks feels excellent"... however unfortunately the safety margin with many drugs is FAR lower than with alcohol or other similarly forgiving drugs. I guess some people forget that.
It seems to me that the 'desired' dose level of certain drugs is for many people a dose that runs hazardously close to overdose. Examples: Heroin, GHB. The fact that people repeatedly aim for doses just this side of falling unconscious is a concern, and when the drugs are unknown concentration and the people are inexperienced, the danger multiplies significantly.
My sympathies to this young man's family, he clearly either didn't think through the possible consequences of taking such large doses, or didn't care that he'd leave behind a grieving family to clean up his mess.
BigTrancer.

Wow, i just read the chat log and its very chilling, another startling thing was the amount of time this all happened, in just over an hour and a half, and the way the ppl are acting, there seems to be only 2 or so ppl concearned and even then they come up with jokes about the whole situation.
Surely they would have realised that the amount he had had was deffinetly an OD'able amount. I seriously wonder if his life coul dhave been saved, considering one of the kids was on the phone to him for a good 20 minutes.

Honestly, I read the entire log recently and he was a fool. BT, have you?
He was asking to die if you ask me, I mean I feel sorry for him because he wasn't bright enough to not take lethal doses of multiple drugs in the face of plentiful harm minimisation information... But you must understand, he rejected it and disregarded it, and only skimped over it. In it's place he accepted the idea that the more you take, the more hardcore you are.
I have sympathy for his family, but his peers and his behavior is disgusting.
So RIP dumb arse *looks up and shakes head*

That irc log seriously made me want to vomit.
That is truly the most disgusting, awful and just plain idiotic thing i have ever heard anyone doing... EVER!
poor stupid stupid boy.
Andromeda :(

Reading the log felt very surreal. A certain amount of time disappeared from my day reading that and I'm not sure where it went. Very weird.
Hindsight is very useful and it is easy to say now what people should've done. I don't think everyone on IRC fully believed he actually had the drugs or was taking them. They still believed he was a toss. Some probably didn't believe him at all so were playing along or winding him up.
Yes, a stupid thing to do if you don't know for sure. But I'm guessing they have come across his bragging before. He may have bullshitted just a bit too much in the past so why believe him now?
However, once they were aware of what was happening they should've reacted a bit more appropriately.

Another sad, sad step in the devolution of man. It seems a great wave of stupidity is washing across the globe growing in strength with each new batch of cock craniums who tap into it. Ah well reminds me of bill hicks, "He's dead....good!" At least no progeny will issued forth with the defective pharmalogical invincibility delusional gene.

^^^ Agreed... There were moments while i was reading the other people in the chat room's encouragement to swallow more that i honestly wanted to vomit... :( How could they have not called the hospital or something when they KNEW he'd had way too much to still be alive and well? I hope they feel guilty for the rest of their lives for what they did (or didn't do)...