Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Reload 5HTP question

MOTOMAN

Bluelighter
Reload anyone used it?
Done a search and found too much on 5HTP but nothing on Reload. Any info would be great, my brother just ordered a bottle of it to try.
Mods please close this if there is a post already made on, I can't find it. thanks
[ 02 February 2003: Message edited by: MOTOMAN ]

I've never used it, but I've got a bit of information for ya if you're interested.
A point of controversy - It contains both B6 and 5-HTP. There's been a lot of discussion about the effectiveness/possible dangers of this combination.
Alas, one company I know packages their 5-HTP in 50 mg
capsules with 10 mg of B6. They do this ostensibly so that 5-HTP
can be converted to serotonin in the brain. Duh. This insures
that any 5-HTP will get converted to serotonin in the liver
instead, and thus never make it to the brain. Vitamin B6 is the
*LAST* thing you want in an 5-HTP product.
At the very best, people who take B-vitamins with 5-HTP, or
who take 5-HTP products with B6, waste their money. All this
would be merely humorous (caveat emptor) were it not for some
other facts. At worst, ignorant people fooling with 5-HTP
actually risk their health, since serotonin in the peripheral
blood is not benign. Serotonin causes not only harmless flushing
and diarrhea, but people with serotonin secreting tumors (hindgut
carcinoids) also have problems with fibrosis of the endocardium
and valves in their right hearts, which can cause heart failure.
This fibrosis is caused by the serotonin. This effect can also
be seen with dietary intake of only modest amounts of serotonin,
and there has actually been described in the medical literature a
tribe of South Sea islanders with right heart fibrosis as a
result of eating green banana mash (matuki), which poisons them
with its serotonin content. No, I'm not making this up. The
hydroxylation of tryptophan is a rate-limiting step in the
peripheral production of serotonin, and one bypasses it at one's
peril. - from this article. It's also been discussed at length in Possible danger associated with 5-HTP?. Quite a bit to swallow I know, but it's all worth reading if you're planning on taking 5-HTP and B6.
DL-phenylalanine (which they spelt incorrectly) is an interesting one which I haven't seen in a multi-vitamin before (but then I haven't seen many multi-vitamins targeted at MDxx users.) It is a combination of two types of this amino acid... l-phenylalanine which helps suppress hunger, and elevate your mood. It gets metabolised into norepinephrine and epinephrine (two hormones which are part of what we call adrenaline - hormones stored in the adrenal gland and released during times of mental/physical stress) resulting in increased blood pressure, stimulation of the heart and increased sugar levels in the blood. d-phenylalanine apparently stops the metabolisation of enkephalins (neurotransmitters similar in effect to opiates and related to endorphins) in the brain. They're responsible for euphoric feelings and pain relief, thus this should provide relief of minor aches and the blues the day after. I highly endorse dl-phenylalanine :)
L-glutamine is commonly used as a body building suppliment as it's depelted by physical activities is a vital part of muscle integrity... Is this something they've thrown in to protect the muscles of the clubbers? I can't think of any other explaination. Proof, if you ask me, that this really is a designer pharmaceutical specifically aimed at MDxx using clubbers/ravers.
Anyway, back on track. The site seems a little ambiguous to me. There's a lot of silly shit like
A complete nutrient support system, tailor-made for today’s hectic clubbing lifestyle, reload is specifically formulated to help satisfy the special dietary considerations of the serious party person on the go!" for example. It all breaks down, in my eyes to "coming down like a bitch? wanna recover as soon as possible? here is the holy grail!" But then I suppose that's just my take on their marketing strategy.
I'm not going to knock it till I've tried it. I'm a firm believer that a few strong antioxidants, some milk thistle, breakfast and a decent sleep is the best way to recover.
I doubt this has been much use, but it's my take on the gear. I'd be interested to hear how it goes :)

Thanks heaps apollo. That story kinda means all mumble jumble to me, so I'll think I'll have to do the old fashion method and just try and see how it goes. I'll put a post in after I have tried it.

Yes I remember that there were a few studies into what serotonin can do to you heart. But if I remember correctly isnt there a way to limit this at all?

These capsules contain 200mg of 5-htp.... their saying to take three at a time... i dont know about you guys, but 600mg of 5-htp is a pretty high dosage no?

MOTOMAN - I didn't really say anything conclusive about the product as a whole, just a little about its contents.
In a single dose I can't see 600mg being a problem, especially when serotonin levels are depleted. Sustained use at levels that high is another story... But anyone taking that much on a regular basis without a doctors advice deserves what they've got coming.
:)

I was taking supplements that contained all sorts of vitamins including b6 and 5htp, i found after i swapped to a 5htp only tablet it seemed to work alot better even though it had 10mg less per pill.
{edit} - also, the pills containing all the different vitamins were called mood lifters, supposed to help make you happy, i can't remember what the other vitamins were..
[ 06 February 2003: Message edited by: DeMenTia02 ]

question: how far spaced apart could you take both 5-htp and B vitamins? I take both, B vitamins in the morning and 5-htp @ night.
what sort of timing of this combination would be dangerous? is it only dangerous to just take them together, or even within a few hours?
p* ;)

^ I'm not sure if any one will be able to give a concrete answer there, as I think it's still a fairly debatable issue. However I'm prepared to be corrected if someone has a concrete theory on 5-HTP and B6 loading. I have read differing opinions from taking them at the same time, to taking the 5-HTP and then waiting up to 6-8 hours before taking B6 (presumably to give the 5-HTP chance to begin working and cross blood/brain barrier). I don't know if either method has conclusively been shown to be better than the other. My gut feeling when I first read of this issue was more that we need to take B6 as a supplement anyway because we're using our body's B6 to help convert 5-HTP into serotonin.
Unfortunately I know far too little about the neurochemistry to give any more than a hand-waving description of what goes on. Perhaps if you're really worried, you could purchase a 5-HTP ONLY supplement.
BigTrancer :)

I have also noticed that mood enhancement products sometimes contain SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine) , which supposedly is a natural anti-depressant and may help process B6.
http://www.psycom.net/depression.central.same.html
Maybe this could be something to add to post-loading, Anyone got any info on how this may compare to a SSRI ??
[ 12 February 2003: Message edited by: DeMenTia02 ]

Originally posted by Malfunctions:
These capsules contain 200mg of 5-htp.... their saying to take three at a time... i dont know about you guys, but 600mg of 5-htp is a pretty high dosage no?
The capsule contain 66mg, so a "dose" is 3 capsules, 200mg.
i made the same mistake as u when i first got these.... seemed to work rather well. i think it was all the extra's in them....

Dementia02: SAM-e is pretty much worthless many people here have found - search this forum for threads on people's experiences.
BigTrancer :)