PDA

View Full Version : Phenergan for Insomnia

AyahuascaSeeker13
24-04-2011, 15:22
Hi Guys... Been pretty messed up lately, trying to get off all this shit... I don't have any sleeper around, so I am wondering what dosage should i take of Phenergan to get to sleep...

I have a pack of like 50 25mg blue tabs... Let me know please someone... I need to sleep.

misk
24-04-2011, 15:24
just try one, see what happens.
tolerance can build quickly, but at first a low dose should at least help you get to sleep.

debaser
24-04-2011, 15:26
Yeah, 25mg is quite potent by itself.

AyahuascaSeeker13
24-04-2011, 15:35
ok ill take 1 now and see how we go.

Anon54
24-04-2011, 16:29
25mg isnt enough
the packet says take 1-3 25mg pills ffs.
so take 75mg. thats what it says to take.
if ya turning to otc sleeping shit & ya really messed up u may s well get a good nights sleep.
i used to take phenergan before i got precribed antipsycthocis.
its actually a really good sleeping tablets with little side effects.
good for allergies. itchiness if u take opiates.

AyahuascaSeeker13
24-04-2011, 16:50
well 25mg is like taking a couple panadol, doin nothing.... I'm goin to take another 3, god i hope this works, i need fuckin sleep! and if the itchiness goes too, bonus.

arjans haze
24-04-2011, 16:54
75mg work ok for me but I found restavit to be far better

AyahuascaSeeker13
24-04-2011, 17:01
is restavit OTC?

misk
24-04-2011, 17:20
apparently:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxylamine

drug_mentor
24-04-2011, 17:26
Be careful with Phenergan/Promethazine because a high enough dose can cause deliriant effects. Most accounts of deliriant experiences are neutral at best, and generally very unenjoyable. Personally I think if 75mg or so isn't enough to sedate you taking more probably wont make it much more sedating but increases your odds of funny effects.

I have never experienced full blown delirium but a few times the odd high (in terms of using to potentiate opioids and alleviate some of the itch) dose of antihistamines with a little DXM gave me some intense as dreams and made me babble shite.

Restavit is OTC and it contains doxylamine succinate which is a 1st generation antihistamine much like promethazine, in my experience it is slightly more sedating than promethazine but not by a great deal. I would say if your success is limited with promethazine then restavit is unlikely to yield considerably better results. It is behind the counter so you have to speak to someone, I have been carded a few times and had my details recorded but this is only a few of many times buying it.

It is also worth noting that while 1st generation antihistamines do have somewhat sedating effects and can aid in sleep many people report a 'hangover' effect of feeling lethargic the next day. Frankly I don't find this effect to be over the top but I usually do note a bit of lethargy the next day after using them which I generally attribute to having used them.

jacky09ftw
24-04-2011, 18:00
I have had these before for sleeping problems before defo knock you out but leave you sleeping for like 12 hours and your left very groggy the next morning. Took 5mg once before with cocktails with a few mates before which was a very bad idea, dropped my ipod touch in a bucket and ruined it fs. Also my mate feel asleep on my bathroom floor after being sick and i was out of it on my bed. Parents couldnt get into my bathroom as he blocked the door being opened, also was impossible to wake me up either. Next day was left with complete memory loss no recollection at all of what happened the next day terrible i have to say. Just be careful with phernegan pretty strong

Anon54
25-04-2011, 02:47
restavite (doxlamine) i dont think is as good a phenergan. infact phenergan is was better.
& it potentiates opiates ;)

leftwing
25-04-2011, 04:08
25mg isnt enough
the packet says take 1-3 25mg pills ffs.
so take 75mg. thats what it says to take.
if ya turning to otc sleeping shit & ya really messed up u may s well get a good nights sleep.
i used to take phenergan before i got precribed antipsycthocis.
its actually a really good sleeping tablets with little side effects.
good for allergies. itchiness if u take opiates.

right, the packet recommends 1 to 3 tablets - starting with one tablet and increasing if needed. it's not that wise to suggest to someone to take 3 initially without any experience. OTC drugs need to be approached exactly like illicit street drugs.

personally i find doxylamine more sedating with no delerium at higher doses as experienced with phenergan.

psytaco
25-04-2011, 05:19
I have used both restavit and phernergen for insomnia. I find restavit to be better, though phernergen will do in a pinch. I forget what dosage tablets I was taking of phernergen but I was taking 3 tablets.

For restavit I wouldn't take more than 2 tablets, 3 as an absolute maximum. the delirent effects start to be apparent around these dosages and the effects are just plain weird. not fun at all. restavit also has more of a grogginess the next day which I didn't really notice from phernergen.

Also to help you sleep, have a warm shower before bed, and have a cup of strong camomile tea or a cup of warm milk. cut back on the caffeine late in the day ect.

If you've been using alot of scripted sleeping aids like benzos or stilnox chances are it will take you a while before the over the counter sleeping aids work. so expect a few nights will little sleep.

AyahuascaSeeker13
25-04-2011, 12:31
3 Tabs didn't do shit. I woke up with a feeling like a blocked artery in my right side of chest and a headache... Don't know if that is a side effect, but it did fucking SHIT ALL!

Thanks for everyones info though... I guess it might be doctor time again to see what else I can do, and since i'm out of weed, im fukkkkkd.

misk
25-04-2011, 12:51
if you've used antihistamines in the past to an extent you wont get the sedative effect.
120mg of phenergan has no sedative effect on me at all

slortaone
25-04-2011, 14:44
i find phenergan and restavit to be better sleep aids than any benzodiazepine ive ever tried... its biggest downside for me is that the 'hangover', from restavit more so than phenergan, is pretty bad. especially when you need to be up and working at 7am.

Anon54
26-04-2011, 04:17
edited post out
only just realized when i read your original post again u have te 25mg pills & not the 10mg ones they also come in.

Mr Blonde
26-04-2011, 04:59
Doxylamine is definitely more sedating in my opinion, worse hangover fatigue the next day though. It would be good to get a first-generation antihistamine with a lesser half-life; chlorpheniramine I find sort of fits this but is no where near as sedating as promethazine or doxylamine.

AyahuascaSeeker13
26-04-2011, 15:30
6 X 25mg pills 2 hours ago... wide awake. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!

misk
26-04-2011, 16:17
lol i can relate man, but have you tried any of the other sedating antihistamines?
might be worth giving them a go before giving up completely and i'd be curious to hear if you have any success.

for others that are curious and haven't used antihistamines, i don't think it's fair to give something like phenergan a miss completely, i've had sleeping problems for many years and even i found it did help at first but quickly built up a tolerance.

i haven't tried any of the other sedating antihistamines on their own though, i have only experimented with mirtazapine as it is a H1 antagonist and for some has worked well in lower doses to those prescribed as an anti-depressant, but i had no success with obtaining any sedative effect worth the side effects of the anti-depressant aspect and long half life.

AyahuascaSeeker13
26-04-2011, 16:22
^ Nah aint tried any others... I'll go get some restavit and whatever else tomorrow, see if that works before I go the dreaded benzo route.

misk
26-04-2011, 16:39
have you not used benzos (either normal or 'z' drugs) in the past?

headdah
26-04-2011, 19:27
seroqual. that is all u neeed :)

misk
26-04-2011, 19:48
seroquel also gets its sedative effect from H1 antagonism and only at low doses (25-50mg), so would be interesting if it worked when phenergan doesn't.

i'm curious to know if tolerance to one antihistamine means losing the sedative effect of other antihistamines?
i know for me seroquel is only very slightly sedating, but its pharmacology doesn't agree with my body in other ways.

DoS Death
26-04-2011, 19:51
Could take advantage of one of the many medicinal uses of cannabis.

Of course I understand that the illicit route may not be the way you'd like to go about sleeping.

belarki
27-04-2011, 03:16
6 X 25mg pills 2 hours ago... wide awake. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!

As mentioned be careful with phenergan as it has quite a long half-life. 150mg would have me half-asleep for the entire next day!8o

psytaco
27-04-2011, 03:57
If antihistamines aren't doing the job then you might need to get a script for something. i would recommend stilnox or zopiclone. both pretty similiar, and have alot less abuse potential than benzos. they also keep you asleep for longer than valium/temazepam/oxazepam etc.

Just out of interest, is the insomnia an ongoing thing for you or is it the result of drug withdrawal? if its ongoing, I caution relying on benzos or z drugs, as tolerance, side effects and in some cases addiction can follow if you use them every night for extended periods. if its for withdrawal, then these drugs can be effective in getting over the withdrawal symptom of insomnia until your body and mind right themselves.

bobbydarren
27-04-2011, 10:15
Restavit is OTC and it contains doxylamine succinate which is a 1st generation antihistamine much like promethazine, in my experience it is slightly more sedating than promethazine but not by a great deal. I would say if your success is limited with promethazine then restavit is unlikely to yield considerably better results. .

I'd disagree. Must be different person to person. I dont' get sedation from phenergan, however restavit25mg or snoozeaid50mg (1/2 a tablet) is by far the most potent sleep aid I take when compared to prescription sleep tabs such as temaze,nitraz or stilnox.

It is unfortunate that tolerance to the sedative properties increases more rapidly than prob any real sleeping tablet. If I were to take restavit every 3 -4 days (but not every 3 days) it does a great job of knocking me out. Nothing else knocks me out the way restavit does. There is a cross tolerance between phenergan and restavit. I've discovered this when I haven't had restavit for a while but i've taken phenergan with codeine regularly. Restavit wont' work.