• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

lifelong battle?

beengerman

Bluelighter
Hey. does it ever go away? I'm talking about the craving for opiates.
24 hours a day, all day, every day.
I can beat physical symptoms but I've never been able to overcome that craving.
it just eats at you and eats at you.
every other aspect of your life is just thrown into the back of your mind.
You can't even think. if you've been there you know what I'm talking about.
there's really nothing to compare it to. It's the most powerful thing I've ever come across.

For anyone that considers themselves an "addict" or "ex-addict"
how do you cope with it?
everyone I've talked to has always said "it's a lifelong battle".
Does it get easier?
Does it ever truly go away?

Join the gym. Works wonders for mental cravings. What your body is craving is the release of endorphins, so if you go and work out you will achieve the endorphin release thus satisfying your craving. Always worked for me.

i agree. also hobbies help. for me it is that i am obsessive. whatever i get obsessed with i do.

so it is better to get obsessed with something healthy.

I know the feeling, man. I don't know if it goes away, I wish I had an answer for you. But the best thing you can do it take up some better, healthier hobbies to quell the cravings. Gym/running/exericise is great because it'll tired you out and help promote natural endorphin production.

When I am feeling like shit I like to write and it seems to help me feel better. Bluelight is also a savior, as well as certain friends/family that understand.

Also, personal opinions aside, have you thought about joining NA/AA or a similar group? Just so you have some likeminded individuals to talk to you who are also clean and can help you battle soem cravings.

I stopped a pretty major opiate habit this year and in my experience the longer i was off the opiates the less intense the cravings came; i also had the benefit of no longer having access to them (my contacts moved or stopped selling or whatever) so the knowledge that i didnt have access to them made a huge difference. I used to have the dreams, the freak outs all of it, but gradually it went away..now for the less-good news
I think, no i know, im still an addict, i think ive begun to meddle in other things to take up the space that the opiates once filled-i think ive been an addict since highschool/college-i was a competitive distance runner and back then i was addicted to that!! i had to run twice a day everyday or i would totally freak out (i wish i could get back to that addiction) then after that i kept transfering my addictive behavior to all types of behaviors/substances-
I cant answer your question because i also wonder if some day i can just get up and get through my day without the need to feel "altered" in some way. Its a very isolating feeling to be stuck in your own addiction while the people around you are happy engaged and productive while sober...how the hell do they do it??
Looking at my life i realize now ive been engaging in these addictive/destructive behaviors for a really long time i guess im gonna have to start running again but after doing drugs for like 15 years getting back into shape (the most tenacious addiction-the cigarettes!) seems scary, but i know excercise is a much better addiction than oxys yes??

I think this will do better in The Dark Side so let's try it over there.

OD>>>TDS

Help!

Feel for ya man, I'm about to hit the worst parts right now, there in the post anyways. My script ran out too early this week, Im prescribed alot of Oxys and other opiates for a shattered leg with a steel brace pinned through. Cant score or anything. now feeling ropey!

Any advice for right now anyone??? Rather than the life-long battle...

Smoked a few Js and had a couple of blues, it aint shifting! Any help would be nice, before I cant type anymore 8o

My thoughts go out to anyone with opiate issues. x

I stopped a pretty major opiate habit this year and in my experience the longer i was off the opiates the less intense the cravings came; i also had the benefit of no longer having access to them (my contacts moved or stopped selling or whatever) so the knowledge that i didnt have access to them made a huge difference. I used to have the dreams, the freak outs all of it, but gradually it went away..now for the less-good news
I think, no i know, im still an addict, i think ive begun to meddle in other things to take up the space that the opiates once filled-i think ive been an addict since highschool/college-i was a competitive distance runner and back then i was addicted to that!! i had to run twice a day everyday or i would totally freak out (i wish i could get back to that addiction) then after that i kept transfering my addictive behavior to all types of behaviors/substances-
I cant answer your question because i also wonder if some day i can just get up and get through my day without the need to feel "altered" in some way. Its a very isolating feeling to be stuck in your own addiction while the people around you are happy engaged and productive while sober...how the hell do they do it??
Looking at my life i realize now ive been engaging in these addictive/destructive behaviors for a really long time i guess im gonna have to start running again but after doing drugs for like 15 years getting back into shape (the most tenacious addiction-the cigarettes!) seems scary, but i know excercise is a much better addiction than oxys yes??

Your speaking my mind dude. The question...how the hell do they do it?! Goes through my mind everyday man.

Your speaking my mind dude. The question...how the hell do they do it?! Goes through my mind everyday man.

I constantly question how "normal" people do it..I have always been easily overwhelmed by life(not always in a negative way) i seem to just be more" affected" by things than other people and i always seem to be in some state of existential confusion; the weight of all this stupid "hyper awareness" is what has always drawn me towards drugs and other self destructive behaviors.
I hope someday i wont need a chemical crutch to get me through but i have the sinking feeling that im hard wired to be this way and i just need to learn to manage myself somehow..i have NO idea how though

For me, I just get sick of opiates some days, like eating too much of any food & feeling like you dont wanna see that food for a long time. Thats how I get but I do have to take my Norcos when my back pain gets bad. Maybe im "lucky" if you will but they turn me off sometimes.

Join the gym. Works wonders for mental cravings. What your body is craving is the release of endorphins, so if you go and work out you will achieve the endorphin release thus satisfying your craving. Always worked for me.

I wish I could join the gym & exercise like normal people but I cant because of my back problems but I do walk alot & that definitely releases endorphins. Sex releases endorphins as well. Im not saying to switch one addiction like opiates for sex but it is healthier.........:)

/\ Lol switching opiate addiction for sex addiction is exactly what I plan on doing to stay off of opiates. =]

There is no better motivation (I don't actually have any real motivation for anything else) in this world besides woman when on opiates. Its not intense like when I'm off opiates, but its the only thing that still somewhat gets me interested in life.
And now women have become a huge motivation for me to stop. I partly hate it because its so cliche/typical and is what motivates so many other men in life to become successful, but really taking drugs for motivation is just as cliche. If I gotta trade opiates for sex with a different woman everyday, I think that will be a much much much better life than I'm living now lol.

Sorry to hear that.:( You sound very discouraged and that is understandable. What did you try during the last year?

yes it does get much easier,many different things you can do to help yourself,do you need to detox?if so that would be the 1st step,it does get better,many many people will tell you this i'm sure,best of luck

Sorry to hear that.:( You sound very discouraged and that is understandable. What did you try during the last year?

I've been trying to cope with life without craving opiates. trying to find any room in my head that isn't filled with opiate thoughts.

The depression from opiate abuse is a simple matter of fact when it comes to neuro chemistry and the resulting normalization of brain function that takes place once addiction stops. The brain is highly adaptable and can fix itself in many situations, but it takes time and sometimes that time is too brutal to endure. Sometimes this indicates the need for a psychiatric evaluation for anti-depressants, anti-psychotics and anti-anxiolytic agents. For me, I did a 90 minute eval with a psychiatrist who was able to determine within a range of 3 anti-depressants that I could be prescribed based on my symptoms and the results of his review. Eventually I was put on wellbutrin, which made the transition in rehab different and so much more manageable than any other detox I had ever pursued.

As a result, 5 months after a spinal surgery, I was able to effectively kick pain killers for almost 5 months when my back gave out again necessitating the use of pain medications again. But I hold high hope/expectations that because my psychiatric imbalance has been corrected that I can and WILL be able to kick opiates again.

So to summarize, consider a psych eval and determine if there is a deficiency occurring beyond the symptoms of acute withdrawal. Manage that situation and the depression during acute withdrawal might become more manageable and easily treated. Good luck OP.

It would be a war, not a battle, if it consumed your entire life.

The battle would be to stay off drugs for a day, a week, a month, a year, etc. Those are the battles you would win.

I've been trying to cope with life without craving opiates. trying to find any room in my head that isn't filled with opiate thoughts.

I wish you the best of luck. A lot of us have tried and failed at this, so take comfort in the knowledge that you aren't alone.

i think it's definitely a lifelong battle. i don't think the mental cravings will EVER go away for me. i don't work out or have any hobbies, the only distraction i have is work. actually, eventually i chose to use in moderation, need my occasional fix. since i don't have a constant access to them anymore, i know i'm not going to get addicted. but yeah, i really don't think i can live my life without craving opiates. bummer.

It would be a war, not a battle, if it consumed your entire life.

The battle would be to stay off drugs for a day, a week, a month, a year, etc. Those are the battles you would win.

I wish you the best of luck. A lot of us have tried and failed at this, so take comfort in the knowledge that you aren't alone.

Thank you. I really appreciate this.