• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Don't want to WD again - how often can I use?

Betty-dragon

Greenlighter
I am new here and have tried to find the answer to my question using the search engine but with no luck.

I have been addicted to opiates before because of pain (and the nice feeling), and decided to stop for a while because I didn't wan't to be addicted anymore. The WD's was horrible and I won't go through 'em again.

How often can I use again without going through WD again? If I take 3 days in a row on opiates and a week off after that - will that make me go through WD again?

Since I stopped my daily usage I have used a couple of times and that didn't give me any WD's.

I really don't want to test it myself since the WD's scared the shit out of me :)

in theory that could work but 3 days will turn to 4 and then 4 will be 5 and before u know it its a everyday thing again ..if u can stick to doing it afew days then taking a week off or what ever combinatio of on and off that will work without becoming physical depended on it then yea it can work but it will creep up on you

Once or week to once a month is probably the most frequent to be on the safe side - every day or every other day is definitely pushing it.

I agree with captain heroin but would add that if you're serious about not becoming addicted you should steer clear. Opiates are seductive and will insinuate themselves into your life without you realising it. Before you know it you will be addicted again. So many of us began as weekend warriors and it just downspiralled - though if you have the discipline you may and I say that tentatively be able to manage chipping

^ I think that that's probably fairly risky. A 3 day binge for alot of people if done regularly would easily be enough to induce dependance. I imagine that it'd also take alot of discipline to maintain that. I was using every 3 days at one point as inn Monday Thursday Sunday and still ended up with dependance so i'm not certain that would be effective for everyone

the best method i've had with not catching a habit again is not using at all but i've also had decent results using 2 days on 3 days off 2 days etc etc 3 days is really pushing it.. usually for me anyways if use 3 days in a row im hooked again... but my best advice is dont use at all it just fucks u mentally n u will go back on a run its inevitable

I remember posting this exact same post.. 8 Years later, addicted to dop for 5 of those years.. Wish I would have listeened

The less often you dose, the easier it will be to avoid addiction. As some in this thread are describing, regular use such as planned use (X number of times per week, etc) can easily turn into addiction as you are doing it so regularly that it only takes a small slip to be addicted. If you are counting days till the next time you can dose, your mindset is still like it is in addiction and this can make it easy to slip up.

What I recommend is to not keep a very strict schedule but more of a loose guideline for yourself. Leave ample breaks between occasions so that the drug has time to completely clear out of your body. Don't set up exact days of when you can dose next but be truthful with yourself if you have or have not waited long enough or are using more often than is reasonable. I'd aim for around 1 dose per week on average, but again, don't focus on exactly how often you will take the drug, but rather on whether or not you are truly behaving in a way that will not get you addicted.

As an opiate user myself, I understand that limiting yourself to this much usage will not be easy, but your mindset seems to be right for this transition. W/d is really horrible and it can be avoided if you are dedicated to not letting it happen. Honesty with yourself on your real limits and determination are the keys to success, IMO.

Hello, I have studied medication for over 12 yrs and opana has one of the worst w/d's . I am just wondering though if you can take them for 3 days and then stop if you will go in w/ds. I got my sat and I will be out tomorrow so I hope I don't go into bad w/d I have to save one to take before i go to the dr so it will be in my system when he drug testes me.. I have tried many things I don't want people to get on anything else. But Kratom help ease w/d's greatly actually. What poppy seeds are people talking about were can you get them? I would like to try poppy tea. But their are other things to do. I have been going through w/d for over 10 . I have a really bad back and I have been doing better cause my back is getting worse . SO I am learning my lesson. E mail me if you have any comment. [email protected]

You know what I hate (or love) about w/d.. Is they stop me from going over board. When I do H for a whole week then stop.. I feel like shit...and instead of looking at it as my body telling me to do more.. i look at as a bad sucky hang over..and that usually makes me no want to do it for a while..its kinda like a "i had to much to drink" feeling that last..longer

^ I think that that's probably fairly risky. A 3 day binge for alot of people if done regularly would easily be enough to induce dependance. I imagine that it'd also take alot of discipline to maintain that. I was using every 3 days at one point as inn Monday Thursday Sunday and still ended up with dependance so i'm not certain that would be effective for everyone

How much of a dependence did you end up with using every three days?

maybe my body is just weird but i've been doing opiates for 4-5 years now and even with heroin i can use 5-6 days straight (heavy iv use aswell, like .5 g a day) and have no withdrawals the next day
i've been dependent twice for around a year both times and even after that it still takes my body i'd say 7+ days to develope a physical dependency

I would not push harder than once a week at the very most. I've been through the hell of opiate addiction. I used to have a 200mg/oxy a day habit, and if oxy wasn't around it was a bundle a day of very good heroin(IV'd). I did that for about 9 months straight, every day. It was absolutely hell trying to come off, and I couldn't do it anymore past the 3rd day. I ended up getting on suboxone, and I've been on 8mg/day ever since.

Now, I still dabble with heroin once in a while. I get a bundle once every 1 to 2 weeks, and I make a day out of it(I make sure to use it all in ONE day as to not break my boundary of ONE day only). The day before, I don't take a suboxone, and when I get it, I will get it early and use the bundle over the course of one day. Starting in the morning, and doing my last bags right before I get in bed at night. Then I wake up, take a suboxone in the morning, and that's my fun for the week. I have the money to do more, but I know if I do it more actively I will be right back where I started. Even just doing it once a week, I still feel like I'm flirting a very fine line but so far I haven't been tempted to use more than once a week(and I do take weeks off here and there) and it's only because I am on suboxone that I feel confident in not indulging anymore than I am right now. What I do is very risky, because with the suboxone I am never withdrawaling.

Do not do it more than once a week. Once you start doing that, 2 days will become 3, and 3 will become 4. If you plan on using again, you need to set a BOUNDARY right now. You need to set it in stone and tell yourself over and over again that you are not going to use anymore than that. Period. Under no circumstances. It doesn't matter if it's a special occasion or if maybe you're feeling a bit down mentally. If you do not set your boundaries, you will be right back where you started. Once an addict, always an addict. The difference is whether we can keep it in remission and stay in recovery, or if we can't.

Personally, unless you are absolutely very sure that you will not use more than once a week, and you have a solid amount of self-control, I would stay in remission and continue your journey through recovery. I do not condone using again. But the choice lies in your hands.

I totally agree with the posters above, you might have the willpower to do it for 2-3 days and then stay off for a week but the odds are not very good.
That monkey will start to seduce you to only do a little bump the next morning to get out of bed. And he is very clever and charismatic that one!

I don't know anyone that uses opioids regularly 2-3 times a week but I know someone who uses once every week.
He has been using opioids on Fridays for a couple of years now, every Friday he uses how much opioids he wants then stays off them until next Friday.
It is doable but you need willpower, I for one would never make it..