Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age 19 Dec 02: Out of the frying pan, into the pot

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Out of the frying pan, into the pot
December 19 2002
By Steve Butcher

A respected doctor was conducting a laboratory experiment at his North Fitzroy home when it blew up in his face - in more ways than one.
The Melbourne Magistrates Court heard yesterday that William Boyd Kelly, 32, suffered severe burns on March 21 when he sparked an explosion and fire while using acacia oil.
Dr Kelly, who worked in emergency and intensive care at the Western Hospital, ignored his injuries and fought to save his house.
But his recovery was complicated when police investigating the incident found a small marijuana plant in his back yard.
Senior Constable Wayne Taylor, prosecuting, said that Dr Kelly had watered and nurtured the plant and harvested some of it.
Senior Constable Taylor said Dr Kelly had cooperated with police and showed remorse.
Defence lawyer Bob Galbally said that "unfortunately an explosion resulted" when Dr Kelly, 32, performed a "laboratory" experiment.
Mr Galbally said Dr Kelly's laboratory was "very different" from others often seen in the criminal courts.
Mr Galbally said Dr Kelly's first priority was to save his house before an ambulance took him to hospital with burns to 18per cent of his body. Dr Kelly needed skin grafts, which left scars. Dr Kelly, who has no prior convictions, was a social smoker, much like "having two light ales in the fridge", he said.
Character witness Stephen Priestley, director of emergency services for Western Health, told the court that Dr Kelly, who now works in Sydney, was widely respected.
"I can't speak highly enough of him," Dr Priestley said. "He is at the highest end of competence and professionalism."
Dr Kelly, formerly of Newry Street, North Fitzroy, pleaded guilty to charges of cultivating and possessing marijuana.
Magistrate Jane Patrick released Dr Kelly on a non-conviction undertaking to be of good behaviour for a year. He was ordered to pay $250 to the court fund.
From: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/12/18/1040174296392.html
Now... don't get me wrong, but does acacia oil set off anyone else's spider sense? Not to malign the good doctor, but I do somehow recall that among a myriad of other uses, acacia maidenii plants contain 0.6% alkaloids in their bark, 2/3 of which is DMT. I wonder if the doctor was playing with a simple extraction that accidentally caught fire? Probably not, I guess, as otherwise it would have presumably been fairly obvious that the laboratory was set up to make drugs... and the article notes that it was 'different' to normal drug labs.
It strikes me funny thought, that this doctor was involved in a household laboratory explosion and was found cultivating a marijuana plant, and got off with a $250 'contribution' to pay (yes, and hideous scarring and trauma associated with the lab accident). I wonder if the same penalty would have been handed down for a 'social smoking' university chemistry student who had been overzealous in a home lab setup?
Of course, the whole issue could be absolutely innocent and I probably have no right to read so much fabricated detail into it, but it makes an interesting story...
BigTrancer :)
PS: Thanks to waz for dropping those links.

Interesting. I found this bit amusing:
Senior Constable Taylor said Dr Kelly had cooperated with police and showed remorse.
For the heinous crime of cultivating a marijuana plant?
Dr Kelly, who has no prior convictions, was a social smoker, much like "having two light ales in the fridge", he said.
So why show remorse if you believe it is okay? I'm guessing it is a legal term which gets you a lighter sentence.

Sounds to me that our good doctor was in the midst of a DMT extraction. Are there any other uses for "acacia oil"? A quick google search brings up some places selling "Acacia Fragrance Oil", which I suppose he could have been making. But they must have been some pretty dam volatile chems he was using. Would it be worth the trouble for some fragrance oil you can buy?
Mr Galbally said Dr Kelly's laboratory was "very different" from others often seen in the criminal courts.
Guessing the courts haven't seen many DMT extraction setups. Probably would look a whole lot different from a Meth synth lab. However, I would think that the police would be aware of the possible uses for acacias. And given that he was found growing a dope plant, I imagine they would have looked into these possiblities. So maybe he wasn't extracting DMT!
Well I just hope he wasn't using the endangered Acacia Phlebophylla (Buffalo Sallow Wattle).

This is all wild speculation, but he could very well have been preparing a preparation which he was legitimately researching. An insect or animal repellant based upon a plant /tree not affected /eaten by the species? Or perhaps he was investigating allergies to acacia products?
Anyway, who’s to say he wasn't preparing a DMT extract. After all he is a “doctor”, so animal research is a possibility. A license to work with this may not have been hard to obtain…
…or maybe DMT was being made illegally, but for some unknown reason he wasn’t charged…..perhaps by way of a greater donation ;)
Regarding the hypothetical production of DMT in this case, I would think there are two things likely to stem from such a charge, things which police wouldn’t want the greater public to be too well informed of:
1) DMT can be easily extracted from acacia oil (if you don't blow yourself up)
2) A respectable doctor may use DMT and even make his own!
This is all mere speculation. In reality, short of hearing a first hand whisper from the good doctor himself, we shall never know.
But in the end one has to ask, what sort of chemist was he anyway? Since when does any self respecting researcher conduct such work outside of a fume cupboard? These are easy to obtain, or make with pressure releasing ends which can contain quite extensive explosions and dissipate any released energy away from the operator.
….unless of course lab design was seen to be more in line with commonly used forms of clandestine compromise ;)

Yeah, as I said in my original post - my theories are probably false, but it's an interesting case regardless hehehe.
BigTrancer :)