Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: CNN.com 27 Nov 02: Attention disorder drug approved

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Attention disorder drug approved
Wednesday, November 27, 2002 Posted: 9:54 AM EST

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana (AP) -- The first non-stimulant drug designed to treat attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder won approval Tuesday from the Food and Drug Administration.
Indianapolis-based Eli Lilly and Co. expects Strattera to be available in pharmacies in January.
Lilly has tested Strattera on more than 4,000 patients, some for as long as 21/2 years. It has not been tested in children under 6.
Strattera is the first drug to be approved for ADHD that is not a stimulant under the federal Controlled Substances Act. The drug comes in a capsule and can be taken once or twice a day. Lilly said it provides full-day relief from the symptoms of ADHD.
ADHD is one of the most common behavioral disorders of childhood. Although not widely recognized in adults, experts estimate that 4 percent, more than 8 million people, have the disorder, Lilly said.
Scientists believe it works by blocking or slowing reabsorption of norepinephrine, a brain chemical considered important in regulating attention, impulsiveness and activity levels.
The most common side effects of the drug are decreased appetite, nausea and vomiting.
From: http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/conditions/11/27/adhd.drug.ap/index.html
Very interesting... from a quick search of the web it looks like Strattera (Atomoxetine HCl) is a SNRI (selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor). A relevant chunk of FAQ follows.
From www.strattera.com -- Strattera.com - Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Strattera?
Strattera is a norepinephine reuptake inhibitor, a new class of treatment that works differently from the other ADHD medications available. What is Strattera?
2. How does Strattera work?
Strattera works by selectively blocking the reuptake of norepinephrine, a chemical messenger, or neurotransmitter, by certain nerve cells in the brain. This action increases the availability of norepinephrine, which is thought to be essential in regulating impulse control, organization and attention. The precise mechanism by which Strattera works on ADHD is not known.
3. How do I take Strattera?
• Take Strattera exactly as directed by your doctor. Strattera offers flexible dosing, once or twice daily. Discuss a convenient schedule for taking Strattera with your doctor.
• Strattera may be taken with or without food.
• If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible, but do not take more than your total daily dose in any 24-hour period.
• If possible, take Strattera at the same time every day to keep on schedule.
• Strattera capsules should never be broken and sprinkled on food. They must be taken whole.
4. How effective is Strattera in controlling ADHD symptoms?
In each of six clinical trials, Strattera was statistically superior to placebo in reducing the symptoms of ADHD in children, adolescents and adults. The positive effects of Strattera were seen for overall ADHD symptoms including hyperactive/impulsive symptoms and inattentive symptoms.
5. What data are being used to support the approval of Strattera?
In six placebo-controlled studies, two in children, two in children and adolescents, and two in adults, Strattera significantly reduced core symptoms of ADHD, and was well tolerated. In all studies, participants met Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, 4th Edition (DSM-IV), criteria for ADHD.
Eli Lilly and Company is continuing to study Strattera in short-term and long-term trials. As of October 2002, more than 4,000 child and adolescents have taken Strattera in clinical trials for ADHD.
Now, ordinarily I'd not even bother mentioning novel medications here on the Bluelight forums, because we're mostly interested in the discussion of recreational drugs and harm minimisation related to them. However, IMHO this development could spell the end to the epidemic of stimulant abuse that is currently associated with over-prescribing ADHD medications.
Wherever will kids be able to get extra pocket money now, if they can't sell ther ADHD tablets? ;)
BigTrancer :)

Oh yay, another drug that doctors can overprescribe to kids who's parents thing they have a "behaviour problem". Fucking around with brain chemistry is not the way to "cure" most cases of ADHD.
Only a small minority of kids ever diagnosed with ADHD actually have the neurological abnormalities.
This stuff could become the new prozac. Over overprescribed, over used.
Fucken.

If the medication works as well as the current medication and doctors take it up I can only see this as a good thing. Abuse of the current ADD medication is a huge problem with teenagers and by providing them with a drug to combat the problem of overactive children and at the same time not giving them a legal way of obtaining amphetamines can only be a positive move. I personally have no problem with amphetamines ;) but the practise of feeding them to developing minds is wrong IMO.
Fetish, I agree doctors do overprescribe these kind of drugs to childeren. But the current medication is sought after by people for its stimulant properties. This drug may however affect childrens minds in a way yet unknown but I can imagine the presrciption rate wouldnt be as high as people won't be specifically trying to get hooked up with it....
[ 03 December 2002: Message edited by: Fry-d- ]

well coming from someone who has ADD, and has been taking medication since i was about 12, and i've had all of the tests done to prove it, i would be keen on trying this new medication if it does ever make it's way over to Australia, Yeah i do reakon it is over used both for the right and wrong reasons, ADD medication used to be easy to obtain, and i still think it is easy to get hold off.

Amphetamines are a character numbing, soul destroying drug, IMHO. If they can be replaced as treatment for ADD/ADHD, I think that's a good thing.
I've seen a lot of kids flogging off dexies, ritalin & whatnot to their friends at school. Frankly, it ain't cool.
I've also known a particular person to become relatively dependant on stimulants as treatment for his disorder, and I sometimes wonder if he'd be better off braving life with ADD than living with a reduced level of ADD and an awful dependance on dexamphetamine...
:)

A lot of my beef with drugs, especially drugs that are going to be prescribed with the intent of longterm use is how lightly people take this as a "fix".
For example, altering serotonin levels to combat depression. It's the chemical equivalent of using carpet bombing a jungle to kill one guerllia. People don't realise exactly WHAT these drugs are doing. That's why I'm never going to touch the damn things.
This new drug behaves like an antidepressant (why, we could call it a SNRI), but instead changes the levels of another very important chemical in the brain, norepinephrine, just to fix one thing it is related to.
If people (read "the general public) knew how important these chemicals were in the body, I highly doubt that they'd be so quick to take them longterm.
That said, it sure seems a "safer" alternative to increase norepinephrine levels than using amphetamine, just because it seems more focussed on the job at hand as it were.
But I say fuck it, my words aren't going to change people's blind faith in the "miracle of modern science." Take your drugs, just don't go suing every drug company in sight when they discover that increased levels of norepinephrine causes head explosions or something.