• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Animal Drugs used in Party scene - News Article

BayCityRolla

Bluelighter
Taken from News.com.au
Animal drugs on party scene
By Michelle Cazzulino
November 27, 2002
AN ANAESTHETIC used primarily to operate on pets and a product found in paint stripper are among the most popular party drugs in Sydney, according to a study being released today.
The research, conducted by the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC), revealed that an increasing number of regular ecstasy users are also experimenting with other illicit drugs.
Primarily, these include methamphetamine base, "ice" and GHB, commonly found in paint stripper, as well as pharmaceutical products including anti-depressant medications.
Ketamine, an anaesthetic used mainly in veterinary surgery, had also been used by almost two-thirds of the 88 people interviewed as part of the study.
Yesterday Paul Dillon from NDARC said there had been a significant rise in the number of party drug users who were also taking drugs like GHB, which is variously known as "Liquid E" or "Fantasy".
"In 2000, 25 per cent of the sample reported they had ever used ketamine, this year that figure had leapt to 59 per cent, with 20 per cent reporting they usually used it when they took ecstasy," he said.
"In 2000, less than 1 per cent reported ever using GHB. This year, 35 per cent said they had tried it, with 7 per cent of them reported usually using the drug when they took ecstasy."
The number of Australians who took ecstasy between 1998 and 2001 also rose, from 4.8 per cent to 6.1 per cent.
But the news was not all bad – the study did show a decrease in the recreational use of LSD and inhalants such as amyl nitrate.
Mr Dillon said one of the major concerns related to the results was the fact that the long-term effects of many party drugs simply were not known.
"This is a large market and if you look at the figures for 20-29 year olds, a staggering 20 per cent of that age group have tried ecstasy," he said.
"This is a growing and constantly changing market that we need to continue to monitor, particularly as we know so little about the harms associated with many of these sorts of newer drugs that they are now experimenting with."
Despite numerous campaigns being mounted in a bid to deter young people from using party drugs, Mr Dillon said it was obvious the warnings were not being heeded.
"One thing that we do know is that using drugs in combination increases the risks," he said.
"This is a message that we need to get across to the growing number of party drug users. These are drugs that we've been really putting out information about the risks of.
"It just appears that many ecstasy users are disregarding it. We need to find out why that is."
The Daily Telegraph
BCR

But the news was not all bad – the study did show a decrease in the recreational use of LSD
"Not all bad?" Sure, I'd rather people G out and K-hole than use LSD. Heaven forbid! 8)
"It just appears that many ecstasy users are disregarding it. We need to find out why that is."
It's quite simple, I've never understood why people ask this question. People do drugs BECAUSE IT FEELS GOOD. It's not rebellion, it's not post adolescent "experimenting", drugs are done because they are pleasurable. I fail to understand why anti-drug groups don't tackle the hedonistic imperative behind use.
Oh, and another thing, GHB isn't used in paint stripper, it's the precoursers to it, dammit. Do your research, you hack. ;)
NEWSFLASH: Breakfast may consist of mammary excretions from bovines and crushed seeds topped with bee vomit, recent studies have shown.
It's all in the way it's portrayed, I guess. :\
[ 26 November 2002: Message edited by: Fetish Jester ]

^^^^^^^ LOL@FJ
Goddamn hacks, highly dubious :) :) :)
And we all know that the majority of journalists are coke heads, a generalised piece of shit statement on a par with this article.

Paul Dillon, the NDARC lightweight strikes yet again... Duh, when is someone here going to steal his job already? I cringe every time this guy pontificates his naive drug 'facts,' it truly is a travesty that this guy has gained such legitimacy among the media and government. In any other discipline, he would have been shot down due to his nebulous understanding a long time ago.
To his credit, I guess he probably was not responsible for this comment:
Primarily, these include methamphetamine base, "ice" and GHB, commonly found in paint stripper, as well as pharmaceutical products including anti-depressant medications.
Meth base is not 'ice,' GHB is not in paint stripper, and who the fudge gets high off SSRI's?
There was not a coherent fact in that whole scare-mongering sentence.
[ 27 November 2002: Message edited by: -Thoth ]

^^^^
The way I read it, i says methamphetamine base, "ice" and GHB are all distinct drugs used by these people.
I dont think the article infers that meth base is ice... However, I think it does infer the GHB is found in paint stripper.

The way I read it, I see Thoth's angle. The 'explanatory' tone, and the placement of the commas indicate to me that it's saying the drugs include:
"... methamphetamine base, "ice"
and
GHB, commonly found in paint stripper,
as well as
pharmaceutical products including anti-depressant medications..."
So... I'm guessing they're pushing the 'ice'=meth angle and confusing GHB-like precursor solvents for GHB.
OK, fair enough nobody gets high on SSRI anti-depressants, but people have been known to (extremely dangerously and extremely stupidly) combine moclobemide (Aurorix anti-depressant) and MDMA. --> Reasons not to do this = (o)(o)(o).
Also, some people use SSRI's to postload from MDMA so they might mention these as part of a weekend's consumption.
BigTrancer :)
[ 27 November 2002: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]