Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

effects of depression on e

Burna_chick

Bluelighter
i was wondering can depression cause ecxtasy to have less effect. i recently droped a pill and some friends had exactly the same pills. they were peaking hard, and i felt nothing. could depression be related to me not getting as up as they did?

I have absoluterly no med training at all...
Just my opinion.......but based on the fact the pills work by releasing the serotonin in your brain.......to my fucked up pill brain it would make sense if you didnt peak as hard as your friends because you have depression.
I dont know much about depression but if its caused by some sort of serotonin deficiency - meaning you arent happy because youre lacking serotonin or whatever - then I guess pills would have less effect.
Can anyone with some accurate knowledge or facts back up what I said?......or call me a liar!
Maybe get some 5-htp into ya!

What has been echoed many a times is that mindset and setting have a significant effect on the pill. If your not feeling tip top then the pill won't suddenly make you feel happy. I been through a night trying to drown my sorrows with pills. I didn't think the pills were working because I was so caught up in my own personal problems. But the time I clicked that they were working it was too late.
So if your feeling down, don't take the pill hoping it will magically make you feel happy. Still go out and stay straight then if your having a good time then drop the pill.
Also exactly what scale of depression are we talking. If your on SSRI's then the pill will have very little effect. Also don't discount quality of pills. Take the this years case of the Versace pills which were all over the place as far as dosage was concerned.

I second Sllip's comments, about mindest and setting. While the idea of "depression is caused by inadequate amounts of (insert neurotransmitter here)" is thrown around regularly, there is no firm proof that this is the case. Your mindset can, however, have an effect on the MD** high.

if you suffer depression u shouldnt be taking e.
fuck now thats good advice i never listen to.
now im stuck back on fucken prozac and its going to be a good long while b4 im off that.
burna_chick: y would u even want to mix 5htp and ssris? let me put it this way it dont sound too healthy.

Not to take anything away from sydkiwis in depth and informative response...
Burna_chick, SSRIs block serotonin reuptake, meaning it's around for longer before being reabsorbed. 5-HTP makes your brain produce more serotonin. This could lead to serotonin syndrome - put simply, a serotonin overload in your brain. All sorts of problems can result... Agitation, restlessness, confusion, tachycardia (increased heart rate), poor coordination, sweating, diarrhoea, muscle tremors, seizures and even comatoseness.
Be wary :)

As far as I recall, you shouldn't be taking MDMA with SSRI's either - for exactly the same reason. MDMA causes the release of serotonin - and the SSRI's prevent it being taken up again, causing serotonin syndrome as well.

mort: Well, AFAIK, SSRI's do not cause serotonin syndrome when you just take MDMA with them, as MDMA has to enter the neuron via serotonin reuptake transport, and and an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) would be "inhibiting" the absorbtion of MDMA. That is why people on SSRI's usually get little to no effect from MDMA, unless they take much more.
But, if you take an SSRI and a MAOI, that can cause serotonin syndrome.
[ 01 December 2002: Message edited by: Fetish Jester ]

^^ Further to that, SSRIs like Prozac can be used as a harm minimisation measure. Users take them just after their pill wears off to minimise neurotoxic harm caused by MDMA - the idea being to prevent the possibility of a neurotoxin entering a 5-HT cell and damaging its axons...
For anyone who doesn't quite understand the above - have a look through this slideshow at Dancesafe.