Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Interesting books on Drugs or Drug use

Boo Boo

Bluelighter
I was wondering whether people here could recommend interesting or informative books on drugs or drug use?

Great book on LSD
Acid Dreams - The complete Social History Of LSD, The CIA, The Sixties and Beyond.
Author: Martin A. Lee & Bruce Shlain
Good book so far ...only got thru first couple of chapters about the CIA etc Much of the info I have read in Learys books and Robert Anton Wilsons Stuff, but if you want a comprehensive overview of it all grab this book.

Terrence McKenna's "Food of the Gods"
Given to me by a friend who said "This should be right up your alley." It was. Possibly the best book I've read on drug use ever.

can't go past Shulgin's TIHKAL (trytamines I have know and loved) and PIHKAL (phenethylamines I have ...).

"storming heaven. LSD and the great american dream." by Jay Stevens.
this book should not be missed by anyone interested in the history of LSD in america.
if you do go out and get it, let us know what you think.. and if anyone else has read it, back me up here.

Originally posted by Boo Boo:
I was wondering whether people here could recommend interesting or informative books on drugs or drug use?
Zig Zag Zen: Buddhism and Psychedelics, by Allan Hunt, ISBN: 0811832864
Interesting book. Pretty much what the name says... some of the artwork in it is fabulous as well.
Dweller.

Read anything you can by Timothy Leary, the daddy of LSD. His autobiography is fascinating and gives a '60s perspective on today's war on drugs. Unfortunately I don't remember the titles of any of his works, but a web search should help. I found the autobiography tucked away in a public library a few years back - just as well, as much of his stuff may be out of print now.
And then there's this one, complete with ad...
New Textbook on Ecstacy
Probably the most comprehensive work on MDMA written to date---Published 2001
Not since the 1960's has the world witnessed a drug phenomenon like the rapid and widespread emergence of Ecstasy. Described by enthusiasts as the most intense euphoria they know and by detractors as a cause of brain damage and even death, Ecstasy has engendered unprecedented levels of interest-and misinformation. While Ecstasy is found across America in living rooms and dance clubs, reliable information about the drug is not. Now, Ecstasy: The Complete Guide takes the first unbiased look at the risks and the benefits of Ecstasy and the real drug behind it, MDMA, offering a critical resource for anyone seeking credible information.
From the world's leading experts on MDMA, readers will learn the science of how it works; the health risks associated with the drug; its promise as a treatment for depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, chronic pain, and other illnesses; and how to minimize the health risks of illicit use. Whether you are a concerned parent, a professional wanting the most recent reports on MDMA research, or a raver, Ecstasy: The Complete Guide provides the answers for you.
CHAPTER HEADINGS
LET X = MDMA
The History of MDMA
What Does MDMA Feel Like?
How MDMA Works in the Brain
The Chemistry of MDMA
MDMA Myths and Rumours Dispelled
The Godparents of MDMA
RISKS OF MDMA USE
Medical Risks Associated with MDMA Use
Mental Health Problems Associated with MDMA Use
Does MDMA Cause Brain Damage?
The Legal Status of MDMA Around the World
Minimizing Risk in the Dance Community
MDMA-ASSISTED PSYCHOTHERAPY
Using MDMA in Healing, Psychotherapy, and Spiritual Practice
Experience with the Interpersonal Psychedelics
Clinical Experience with MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy
POTENTIAL CLINICAL USES FOR MDMA
Using MDMA in the Treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorders
Using MDMA in the Treatment of Depression
Using MDMA in the Treatment of Schizophrenia
Using MDMA in Alternative Medicine
MDMA RESEARCH
Clinical Research with MDMA: A Worldwide Review
Giving MDMA to Human Volunteers in Switzerland
Giving MDMA to Human Volunteers in the United States
MDMA AND SOCIETY
Ecstasy: Prescription for Cultural Renaissance
MDMA and Spirituality
MDMA'S Promise as a Prescription Medicine
APPENDICES
History Timeline
Statistics Timeline
Table l: Studies of Long-Term Behavioural or Functional Changes After MDMA in Animals
Table ll: Reported Neurofunctional Differences Between Ecstasy Users and Non-Users
Table lll: Memory Studies of Ecstasy Users VS Non-Users
Edited by Julie Holland M.D.
Contributers include Andrew Weil, Ralf Metzner, Rick Doblin, Douglas Rushkoff, Sasha & Ann Shuglin, Rabbi Zaman Schachter and many others.
Published by Park Street Press Copyright 2001
Price $54.95 + $4.95 Postage &Packing
George Thompson
Living Solutions Bookshop
74 Station Street
Somerville 3912
Victoria
Phone: 03 5977 6366
Fax: 03 5977 6388
Mobile: 0419 500 802
Email: [email protected]
That should be enough bedtime reading for now... ;)

I actually had read "Ecstacy, the complete guide" about 3 months ago and it was totaly mind blowing. It had been the first book i had read on MDMA and related drugs and the amount of work they put in it was outstanding. I picked the book up from a public library and eventualy gave it to a friend to read.

Ketamine: Dreams and Realities
Just picked it up on Saturday, should be a rather interesting read.
The author escapes me at the moment, will update when I'm home.

"Plants of the Gods"- Albert Hoffmann and Richard Evans Schultes and "Psychedelics Encyclopaedia"- by Peter Stafford.
Both great reads.