Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Good vs Evil (buds)

Evil Witch

Bluelighter
Yesterday, for the first time in nearly two years of daily pot smoking, I tried choof other than that i normally score off my dealer. The change was remarkable... instead of sitting down like a zombie for hours unable to conjure up the motivation even to play ps, getting hell paranoid, and negatively analysing my life... my smoking buddy and me were hyper, upbeat, silly, and giggly for the duration of the night. Lately i had started wondering if the type of choof we normally score was to blame for my lack of sillyness "aliveness" when bent, but in the end i put it down to the fact that i'm a longterm smoker and my chem usage has gone up lately. Now i'm not so sure at all. Am i just smoking shit bud??? How different can types of stoned from diff buds really be? I mean i've tried at least 20 + diff types of bud in my smoking days, but never really noticed a much of a diff till now. I suppose my question is.... how greatly does the quality of bud we got in oz differ?? are all the experienced smokers out there smoking the mad shit and i'm just a little slow to catch up?? does anyone know what i'm on about?
i thought i'd post this here rather than drug basics because it's kinda location specific... maybe even melbourne specific (in relation to my q's)....
thanks fo ya help

Very interesting topic! :)
Both Mr Samadhi and I firmly believe that there are a number of factors that contribute to what kind of stoned you experience...
1. Mind set and setting (environment you smoke in). Alot of people don't realise that marijuana is a psychedelic, and like other psychs, set and setting can play a massive role in how you perceive your experience.
2. The type of bud you're smoking...sativa strains tend to generally produce a more relaxed stoned, it's less "physical", not as full-on...you're not left feeling like you've been hit with the "pot-bat", so to speak. Indica strains tend to produce more of a physical stoned effect and are generally more psychedelic, you do tend to feel like you've been hit with the 'pot-bat'. Of course when you are dealing with cross breeds or "skunk" these two effects can be mixed, and depending on what the particular strain is, can have a myriad of effects.
So, to answer your question..in OHO, the type of pot you are smoking can have very different effects :)
Samadhi
[ 25 October 2002: Message edited by: samadhi ]

mmmmmm
i dunno im in oz too(perth) i reckon we get some pretty strong stuff here sometimes...
could be when your on chems do ya smoke dope??? if ya do most people that do that get such a huge tolerance to dope because they smoke soooo many when theyre pinging!! just my 2 cents

Many things influence the effects from dope. Disregarding set /setting, which in this case may be more anticipation / expectation, the pharmacological reasons are many.
Cannabis strains each have unique mixtures of THC like chemicals. Levels of each of these also vary depending on the age of the plant. An early-mid bud plant will usually be higher in THC and lower in CBN.
CBN and other such substances can make you lethargic. Many growers grow their plants past their "THC optimum" for reasons of taste or because they want more weight. Although the high is the main focus when breeding, taste and smoothness of smoke are also considered important, especially with older smokers.
It is widely accepted that Sativa strains (larger variety traditionally used in the west to make hemp products) produce more of a cerebral get up and go high, than the Indica strains. Indica strains are shorter plants which often produce more resins and often a higher THC content but usually together with extra CBN, CBD etc.
These two species have been interbred to produce countless varieties. Hydro strains ( generally but not always based upon the shorter Indica strain) have been taken outdoors and crossed with local sativa strains then selectively bred for smaller plants which are taken back indoors to grow.
So each strain may have higher or lower levels of the less "buzzy" cannabiniods. THC is usually the most active compound, although some rare strains produce natural variations of the molecule which are more potent than THC itself.
Dope may seem like a simple enough thing, but the phytochemistry is complex, and how the special molecules fit into your receptors seems even more complex.
As you become used to one particular strain, enzymes and metabolites within your body become very efficient at eliminating THC. Also your receptors can become "desensitised" by altering the way they bind to THC and related compounds.
Often all it takes is to be given a different variety and your tolerance is temporarily reduced.
It is common knowledge that regular smokers should change their strain often. From what I've heard, many hydro growers/suppliers rotate varieties to avoid their customers becoming sick of a single product.
if you go to the overgrow site u will find many such explanations. Hope this helps a bit :)

...err just to explain the anomaly with Mr and Mrs samadhi; many people believe indica = more energy, sativa less. Personally I have found it to be the other way, but really it probably comes down to what you're used to. I grew up with sativa, and indica stains almost knocked me down when I first tried them.
Then after smoking indica strains for a period, a sativa gave me lift and enthusiasm. Perhaps that was just because the THC was lower in the sativa?
its all very subjective, but one thing is for sure. A change is as good as a holiday ;)

Interesting ideas samahdi. unfortuately i don't think set and setting play much of a role in this case because no matter where i smoke the (downer) bud, i always feel the same kinda stoned. i mean, it's not really an "evil" stoned, i still enjoy it, but all in all it really just bums you out. this happens EVERY time with this bud, like i was saying, for approx. 2 years. i know exactly what to expect - if you know what i mean.
good read phase dancer. very helpful. would there be any way of know whether the majority of bud sold in melbourne was indica or sativa? or a hybrid? which gets me wondering, on the street, what would the percentage of hydro and bush weed sold?
for dudes that this topic may irritate - i know the bottom line is just smoke ya choof and be happy for it. why does it matter what other ppl are getting etc etc.... but for me personally it really is just a matter of curiosity. this stuff interests me heaps ;)

I really have no idea what's around Melbourne. As for your topic being offensive, I think if you stay on track there should be no probs.
I imagine in the cities that hydro is most common, although depending again on who you know it could easily be bush - preferred by many.
Go to overgrow and have a look at classic indica and sativa buds. Drying can make it harder to distinguish variety, particularly if buds have been squashed. One general (but not guaranteed rule) is that the indica calyx (seed pod) is larger than the sativa. This is not however always the case. For someone with experience, simply smelling will tell.
I'll just mention that in suggesting a smoker should change pot regularly, I do not wish to suggest you should actually smoke pot or anything, nor that you should place yourself in unnecessary danger through acquiring it. Dope is still basically illegal, so some of the best harm minimisation advice is to limit your contacts so as to limit your risk. I do believe though, that for health reasons it may be better to vary.
Be safe and good luck in identifying the parsley you're chewing :\

I love this debate. I may have more to add later, but I think sometimes if you get a few pipes into a mix and realise that you're becoming way stoned and shutting down, it's a sign to mix it a bit weaker or have smaller pipes. Sometimes by reducing the dose, you can turn a heavy stone into that happy, light, motivated feeling that lets you function normally and enjoy doing things. That's why I find choof to be so dynamic, because if you tailor your dose right there's no need to become a couch potato, you can go about your day. Because of the variability of strains and THC concentrations, it just takes a bit of test-driving ;)
BigTrancer :)

I've tended to fall into this pattern of my smoking that when i smoke, i'll have however many cones straight up, and just ride it out till its finished and not smoke more.
I really don't know why this is, possibly because i either smoke late at night at home and theres no need to smoke more because i goto sleep, or because normally when i smoke if i go out, i drive home, so i can't be getting really bent and keep toking up.
It seems as though this has become my pattern of smoking and something i'm used to. Evidently, i have weed for alot longer than friends, especially cos when i do that first toke up I only have 1 or 2 cones (green).
Due to the fact i only smoke on weekends it always suffices and as BT said, it gives a nice edge to everything and enables you to do normal tasks but with this nice stonedness about everything. As opposed to getting totally blazed and being in it just for the effect, i more enjoy whatever i'm doing, but with a supplement.
As far as quality of bud goes,
It certainly does play a part. Although the feeling of being stoned is a nice familiarity to us all, some bud has a very different manner about it and can make you feel quite differently.
When my friends and I happened to come across a particularly potent strain of weed it didn't make us dreg (tired and shit afterwards) and it was a more active type of stoned, like your mind could still function properly.
I mean, i read a HUGE essay on How the US got involved in Vietnam whilst i was high on it. Normally i find it hell hard to concentrate on reading when i'm bent.
Just a question Evil Witch:
If this weed made u "unable to conjure up the motivation even to play ps, getting hell paranoid, and negatively analysing my life"
Why the fuck did you smoke it for 2 yrs?
Seems like a foolish choice to me...
Explore, theres many strains out there, and someday, goto the marijuana cup or whatever its called in amsterdam :)
Adikkal

overgrow was helpful - thanks phase dancer.
the thing is, smoking this same bud over such an extended period, it's hard to pinpoint when exactly the negative effects started to outweigh the positive. when we first started smoking it we were like "mad" but then after a while it just became average bud. it wasn't until about 8 or 9 months ago that i really realised that i hadn't had a good giggle session in ages. also, like i said, the chem consump. went up a bit around this point too so at first i blamed it on that...
i've since smoked the better bud again and it seems to actually be better - totally different mindset/setting than the first time... yay

Most hydro seems to be on the indica side of things in adelaide. But I really love that clear headed (well kinda) sativa high when I get the chance. It is really easy to notice the difference imo. It seems like indica strains give bigger/heavier buds so people who grow to sell probably use that over sativa. Pity :(
There are also all sorts of chemicals used on hydro (some idiots even use insecticides), and if they don't flush the plants with water for a couple of weeks before they harvest them to get rid of the chemicals, it could make you feel pretty lethargic when smoked.

If you want to do something TOTALLY insane save a few cones from each different type of green u get and chop it up all fine and save it till you get a few (6). then bong on, the stone is amazing, its like being stoned off different buds all at teh same time. i currently have a 25 mix of buds, tho dont smoke anymore, but maybe one day i will try :)
I remember one night from a 3 mix, and then a 6 mix we made after we had 2 buckets each of the 3 being so ripped i couldnt move, felt like i was being magnetized to the ground... but the next day i was still reefed and had a fuckin headache to die for!!!!
Party mixes are the way for HELL mind blowing stones.
CHoof oN CHooFers
haha

^ Haha, you nutballs :D Isn't that like saving the last inch from every bottle of spirits you drink, and pouring it all into one big flagon to get spastic from later? I spose it's not so bad since it's all relatively the same stuff.
Smoking green, personally I prefer preserving the purity of the strain for the unique flavour and aroma it produces on smoking. I spose this is like the single malt whiskey, often harder flavours, not as smooth, but with characteristic elements that stand out. Mixing n matching to get unbelievably wasted on a conglomeration of strains, like the blended whiskey approach probably produces an 'average' flavour representing the most common parts of each constituent. When mixing with tobacco, though, the difference is probably negligible.
How funny is it that "party" usually means "fuck you up so much you can't party" when it comes to choof... party mix, party cone, etc?
BigTrancer :)