Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Is DMT in Melbourne a big thing?

recalcitrant

Bluelighter
I've been reading various experiences about DMT use, and have been interested to know if its widely used in Melbourne.
I've read about E and K being more popular over here, but was interested to know about DMT. For instance dope is fairly common anywhere - particularly Amsterdam or BC, Canada but how "popular" is DMT in Melbourne & what form??
[ 07 October 2002: Message edited by: recalcitrant ]

due to the actual trip that DMT induces i doubt it will ever become widley used. compared to the other substances youve listed, mdma, ketamine and marijuana, dmt is a lot more exotic. in my opinion its not used by a lot of people, but there would be some who do use it.

Possibly, though your availability is only as good as your dealer's connections. It's pretty much a matter of who you know. I personally think that DMT is probably way too strong an experience for most people, not everyone is looking for that kind of psychedelic experience intensity.
BigTrancer :)

The day DMT is dealt on the streets with the same undiscriminating blasé-ness as pills are, is the day I become an anti-drug activist. Seriously.
Also, if you can't seem to get any DMT, then you shouldn't be doing it. The people that have it are usually very selective as to who they give it to - making sure that you're ready for it (as ready as you can be at least) before handing it over...
In short, if you're interested in DMT, do your reading, then do some more reading, and make sure to treat it with respect.
[ 08 October 2002: Message edited by: Pleonastic ]

DMT is in Melbourne, as far as I'm aware I can second whats stated above that those who have it are careful who they give it to.
It's not a 'big thing' by any means, I'm fairly certain that DMT will always be a rare and sacred item in the psychedelic community.
Rest assured it is out there, let it find you when you're ready.

I wouldn't say it is widely used, but there is definetly a small group of users who regularly partake in the "spirit molecule". As people have said, this is more due to nature of the trip than any issues of availability. Afterall, many australian acacias contain dmt and the extraction procedure is relatively straightforward. Search and you will find.
What form? If you mean what form does it come in, it is usually found as a moist orangy crystaline substance.
If you are interested in trying DMT, there was a good thread running over in the psychedelics forum:
ready for DMT?
and ofcourse check erowid.

I remember reading somewhere (though for the life of me I can't remember where) a sentence that went something like this:
The average number of times a user of DMT will try the experience is approximately one.
I gather this means that in general, most people never try it twice. I've read nearly every DMT trip report (and nearly every 5-MeO-DMT report) online, and I can see why.
PS: Pre-emptive answer to the inevitable question: "DMT is also known as N,N-dimethyltryptamine, a short-lasting and overwhelmingly intense psychedelic of the tryptamine class ... more information can be found at www.erowid.org both in the DMT Vault and in Alexander Shulgin's text TiHKAL"

*cough* The single most euphoric experience I've ever had. Only reason I haven't done it again is that I haven't run across that guy again. (and I'm not prepared to make it!)

Thank you people for your replies. I've just been reading about it and wanted to know about it in terms of "popularity" and see why other drugs like dope or E or K are more widespread (if thats the right word). I throroughly agree with you about reading about things. Educating is always good ;)
One thing that intrigues me is the shamanisitic history DMT has (like peyote).

DMT as you'll find it in Melbourne (in crystal form) has very little to do with Shamanic history. Read about the synthesis here.
If you meant ayahuasca, you'd be closer to the truth - it's been used for a very long time in South America, namely in and around the equally spooky Amazon. It is taken orally. DMT is not active orally as MAO (mono amine oxidase) breaks it down very quickly in the brain... Thus it must be consumed with a MAOI (MAO inhibitor). There are a lot of combinations of various plants, however the most common is psychotria viridis (which natrually contains DMT) and banisteriopsis caapi (a vine containing harmaline - an MAOI).
I'll stand to correction here, but as far as I know none of the plants used to put together Ayahuasca brews grow anywhere near Melbourne, let alone Australia.
Smoking DMT will result in a truly terrorfying 10 minutes. Most people wish it was over within 30 seconds of smoking it, and you wont have trouble finding people who've been reduced to a quivering mess & begged for it to stop. I myself heard from someone who witnessed a friend try to commit suicide after DMT...
Drinking an Ayahuasca brew is commiting yourself to a DMT experience lasting around 5 hours. It's also far more hallucinogenic than smoked DMT. What's more, you'll never know the potency of the plants you're consuming.
More on auahuasca here.
Enough blabbing from me.
:)
[ 09 October 2002: Message edited by: apollo ]

I'll stand to correction here, but as far as I know none of the plants used to put together Ayahuasca brews grow anywhere near Melbourne, let alone Australia.
Maybe not the traditional Ayahuasca brews, but there are certainly no shortage of plants containing DMT around Melbourne and Australia, and syrian rue (which contains an MAOI) has been naturalised in some parts of Australia (apparently it is considered a noxious weed in SA). Hence you have all you need for a ayahuasca brew.
It's (the ayahuasca brew) also far more hallucinogenic than smoked DMT
How so?
Smoking DMT will result in a truly terrorfying 10 minutes.
Do you mean 'may result'? Check Soma's post above. Sorry, I'm probably being a bit picky :) . However, while bad experiences are certainly possible, they are far from a certainty. All my experiences with DMT have been positive, and the people I have spoken to about DMT have also mostly had good things to say.
johnny

^^^^^^^^
From my experiences (which apollo witnessed) I can tell you straight out, that terrifying does NOT preclude euphoria. When a substance tells you, deep down, that the next few minutes are your last, and you understand and accept that calmly (which very few, as I would note from erowid's trip reports are able to do), then you can experience a very interesting kind of euphoria.
-plaz out-

Smoking DMT will result in a truly terrorfying 10 minutes. Most people wish it was over within 30 seconds of smoking it, and you wont have trouble finding people who've been reduced to a quivering mess & begged for it to stop. I myself heard from someone who witnessed a friend try to commit suicide after DMT...
No one else I know has had the same experience.
I know 8-10 people that have smoked DMT. All with fantastic results. "User friendly" tripping was one phrase that was thrown around.
I haven't seen DMT in a crystal format, only the resin - and I undertand that to get the crystal you need to do some more refining, which is not really needed anyway.
The smell of the smoke... lol its like smoking an old rubber tire!
Apollo - come on man, you should know better than to make statements like that. Perhaps I can make one along the same lines:
Smoking DMT will give you an intense and extremely pleasant pysaedelic experience, one that you will treasure always.
...of course this is DMT and not 5meo-DMT

How did you all identify clearly that you were using DMT and not some other random chemical? Like, besides intense psychedelia after smoking.

5-MeO-DMT is another substance altogether... It's important to distinguish between the two.
Sorry lads, let me correct myself & verify a few things...
Smoking DMT will result in a truly terrorfying 10 minutes. You're right johnnyonelove, I should have set "may result" in a truly terrorfying 10 minutes. Every experience is dependent on set, setting and the individual involved...
Maybe not the traditional Ayahuasca brews, but there are certainly no shortage of plants containing DMT around Melbourne and Australia, and syrian rue (which contains an MAOI) has been naturalised in some parts of Australia (apparently it is considered a noxious weed in SA). Hence you have all you need for a ayahuasca brew. Thus I stand corrected. :) Out of interest - is syrian rue the only MAOI containing plant with a noted presence in Australia?
I based my comment on Ayahuasca being more hallucinogenic than smoked DMT upon dozens of trip reports that I have read. Not all users who smoke DMT achieve visual effects - however seldom will you read an Ayahuasca trip report where the user does not experience potent hallucinations.
Soma,
Smoking DMT will give you an intense and extremely pleasant pysaedelic experience, one that you will treasure always. Clearly this is as single minded as my comment. Your experiences with DMT are contrary to mine, and mine contrary to yours.
I think it is fair to say the following:
DMT is not a drug to be taken lightly - it is an intense experience which one will not easily forget. Users have reported experiences ranging from psychadelic bliss to pure pure fear. Which way the effects swing comes down to set and setting.
My apologies guys & gals.
[ 10 October 2002: Message edited by: apollo ]

BT: it was AFOAF (said friend has now gone OS to live) who *cough*madeitthemselves
Besides: I don't think one can replicate that smell too easily. It has a certain... texture to it

Syrian Rue is the only MAOI containing plant I know of which grows naturally in Austraia. The Natural Highs of Australia text only lists Syrian Rue (but this is far from a definitive guide). Could be others ofcourse.
I'm guessing the people who wrote reports on smoking DMT with little visual effect did not smoke it correctly. It is quite a tricky affair to vaporise DMT and manage to inhale enough to get a good effect. Oral DMT with an MAOI is probably less hit and miss, resulting in definete effect. Also, If you try and smoke DMT and don't mange to get enough for a strong dose, you have to wait an hour before trying again, as there seems to be some sort of tolerance which lasts an hours or so after dmt consumption.
DMT is not a drug to be taken lightly - it is an intense experience which one will not easily forget. Users have reported experiences ranging from psychadelic bliss to pure pure fear. Which way the effects swing comes down to set and setting.
Couldn't have put it better myself.
How did you all identify clearly that you were using DMT and not some other random chemical? Like, besides intense psychedelia after smoking.
Well unless you make it yourself (probably even then :) ), or have access to some GS or HPLC equipment, there is no way to tell for sure. The best we can do is see if it fits the descriptions offered on Erowid, TIHKAL, PIHKAL, etc. But this is the same with any illict drug.
johnny
[ 11 October 2002: Message edited by: johnnyonelove ]