• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

After a big night, why is it that I have trouble going to the toilet?

Energizer

Bluelighter
Hi all,
I have noticed that after a night out with our friendly friend MDMA, I have trouble urinating. Its seems as though my muscle control doesnt work properly, almost like I have to give permission for it to happen? Then when I finally do go, 5mins later, I feel the need to go again, yet, when I do, nothing happens?
Is this a side effect of MDMA use. I dont drink or smoke and I am physically fit also.
Thanks in advance.

Difficuklty urinating is one of the side affects of MDMA use. Many a time have i stood at the urinals feeling like im busting to pee and not a drip would come out. Im not exactly sure as to the reasons for this, but my theory is that being that MDMA generally causes muscle tensing and such, while your bladder may be fit to bursting, youre unable to relax the muscle which stops you from wetting yourself normally....
if anyone knows any better, please feel free to correct me.

i am not sure what the problem is medically, but i have never had this problem... its always all good... ;)

via http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma_article2.shtml
"One of the growing areas of understanding is that ecstasy-related hyponatremia may be exacerbated by a direct pharmacological action of MDMA. MDMA has been shown to cause an increase in the anti-diuretic hormone (ADH or Vasopressin). While diuretics cause increased urination, increases in anti-diuretic hormone reduce urination and levels of salt in the bloodstream. Drinking too much water and an increase of ADH combine to make hyponatremia more likely."

This is a fairly common problem - the explanation above is a good one. In my experience, the problem is worse with stronger pills/multiple pills. Drinking caffeine (a diuretic) seems to help. Providing you don't drink too much water, other than being uncomfortable, this isn't a big problem. If you drink too much water however, you won't be able to excrete it, and you can dilute the sodium in your bloodstream - this is called hyponatremia / aka water intoxication, which is described here.

If you're having heaps of trouble, take the time to sit on the toilet and relax yourself. Turning a tap on in the bathroom for a bit of trickling water noises can help too.
BigTrancer :)

babydoc_vic...I've started drinking a coffee of a morning the last few weeks for work, and EVERY day, i think geeze, it's got the same sort of water retention properties as MDXX.
Is that not the case??? A cappachino of the morning, and i don't feel the need to eat or piss until about 2-3pm, which is 4-5 hours after i've had it. In the mean time i've had @ least 2 litres of water....

^^^^^^^^
Caffeine is a diuretic, so theoretically it should be having the exact opposite effect.
-plaz out-

i never used to have this problem, but lately i have found that it does happen sometimes! and its fucking annoying!! hehe
one of my friends who is a girl has had this same problem on sunday after being "out" for quite some time, so she told me to try the listen to water trickle thingy, and sometimes it helps, but sometimes it makes u want to go more! haha
but..
anyone heard of that party trick that u do, when someone has passed out or is asleep, u can get a bowl of warm water and put their hand in it, and it makes them pee them selves?
sometimes if u run your hand under warm/hottish water while trying to pee it seems to like relax your muscles for just long enough to break the seal!
ive tried this a few times, and sometimes it works, other times not.
but u have to make sure the first bit of water u touch is warm, u cant go gradually into warm water from cold, it has to be kind of sudden, like nothing to warm/hot hehe
hope this helps! damn not being able to pee sucks.

Is there anything else in a coffee that would stop me from peeing???? I've had say 4 more coffees since my last post, and it's still happening, it's not a placebo :(

How do diuretics work?
Diuretics act by altering the transportation of selected electrolytes or ions, eg sodium, chloride or bicarbonate, through the kidneys. This alteration reduces the reabsorbtion of these ions, and as a consequence, because the body regulates the concentration of the urine, more water is excreted.
Now I ask this question, how do anti-diuretics work? In the reversal of the above or just the same process but act in a different way?
I remember reading in a thread (and I'll be buggered if I remember which one) that methamphetamine, MDMA and anti-diuretics act on the brain/body in a certain way causing your kidneys and bladder not to recieve messages to excrete urine, can anybody medically confirm or deny this?

This is a good synopsis:
Maintaining Water Volume
Your kidneys have the ability to conserve or waste water. For example, if you drink a large glass of water, you will find that you will have the urge to urinate within an hour or so. In contrast, if you do not drink for a while, such as overnight, you will not produce much urine and it will usually be very concentrated (i.e. darker). How does your kidney know the difference? The answer to this question involves two mechanisms:
[*] The structure and transport properties of the loop of Henle in the nephron. [*] The anti-diuretic hormone (ADH), also called vasopressin, secreted by the pituitary gland.
Loop of Henle
The loop of Henle has a descending limb and an ascending limb. As filtrate moves down the loop of Henle, water is reabsorbed, but ions (Na,Cl) are not. The removal of water serves to concentrate the Na and Cl in the lumen. Now, as the filtrate moves up the other side (ascending limb), Na and Cl are reabsorbed, but water is not. What these two transport properties do is set up a concentration difference in NaCl along the length of the loop, with the highest concentration at the bottom and lowest concentration at the top. The loop of Henle can then concentrate NaCl in the medulla. The longer the loop, the bigger the concentration gradient. This also means that the medulla tissue tends to be saltier than the cortex tissue.
Now, as the filtrate flows through the collecting ducts, which go back down through the medulla, water can be reabsorbed from the filtrate by osmosis. Water moves from an area of low Na concentration (high water concentration) in the collecting ducts to an area of high Na concentration (low water concentration) in the medullary tissue. If you remove water from the filtrate at this final stage, you can concentrate the urine.
Anti-Diuretic Hormone (ADH)
ADH, which is secreted by the pituitary gland, controls the ability of water to pass through the cells in the walls of the collecting ducts. If no ADH is present, then no water can pass through the walls of the ducts. The more ADH present, the more water can pass through.
Specialized nerve cells, called osmoreceptors, in the hypothalamus of the brain sense the Na concentration of the blood. The nerve endings of these osmoreceptors are located in the posterior pituitary gland and secrete ADH. If the Na concentration of the blood is high, the osmoreceptors secrete ADH. If the Na concentration of the blood is low, they do not secrete ADH. In reality, there is always some very low level of ADH secreted from the osmoreceptors.
(snip)
When you drink a large glass of water, the water gets absorbed into the blood and the following happens:
The absorbed water increases the amount of water filtered in the glomerulus.
The absorbed water in the blood reduces the Na concentration a little.
The reduced Na concentration lowers the amount of Na filtered in the glomerulus.
The nephron reabsorbs all of the reduced Na load and some of the accompanying water, leaving excess water in the filtrate.
The reduced Na concentration is sensed by the osmoreceptors.
The osmoreceptors do not secrete as much ADH.
Because the collecting ducts do not see as much ADH, they do not allow much water to be reabsorbed in response to the Na concentration gradient set up by the loop of Henle.
The excess water gets excreted in the urine.
When the excess water is excreted, the Na concentration of the blood returns to normal.
(snip)
Typically, we do not drink water overnight when we sleep. So, our intestines are not absorbing water:
Decreased water absorption by the intestine reduces the amount of water in the blood.
Decreased water in the blood reduces the amount of water filtered in the glomerulus.
Decreased water in the blood increases the Na concentration in the blood.
Increased Na concentration in the blood increases the amount of Na filtered in the glomerulus.
The nephron does not reabsorb all of the filtered Na, and some water remains with it in the filtrate.
The increased Na concentration in the blood is sensed by the osmoreceptors.
The osmoreceptors secrete ADH.
The collecting ducts see more ADH and allow water to be reabsorbed in response to the Na concentration gradient set up by the loop of Henle.
More water gets reabsorbed from the collecting ducts, producing a concentrated urine. A little water is lost in the urine because of the Na; we cannot excrete solid urine.
The removal of Na and increased reabsorption of water help return the blood concentration of Na to normal.
So, the loop of Henle sets up the Na concentration gradient across the medulla, allowing for water to be reabsorbed from the collecting ducts, and ADH allows the water to pass through those collecting ducts.
Hope that helps.
BigTrancer :)