• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Two Quick Questions about Temazepam

Mr_Fluffykins

Bluelighter
I have two quick Questions about temazepam
1) this one is about the bio-availability of intranasal temazepam, i know that xanax and other benzo's have poor bio-availability when snorted, but what about temazepam, it comes in a capsule, that i can pull apart and take the powder out, but since my psych only gives me 10 at a time, i don't want it to be a waste.

2)I suffer from GERD( gastro esophageal reflux disorder, ) so i am going back on proton pump inhibitors to reduce my stomach acid to none, so i am not woken up at night by horrible excruciating pain, i am on 2mg of risperidone, 200mg of lamotrigine, and 15-30mg of temazepam, do i have to worry about any of these being potentiated by the use of proton pump inhibitors, well my main question was about the temazepam, will it affect the bioaviablity? hopefully potentiating the effect,

thank you bluelight

1)
Oral bioavailability of 96%
Bioavailability/Half-life MEGA Thread
Temazepam is one of the most available and fasted absorbed benzo when taken orally. There is no reason I can see to snort it instead.

2)
risperidone: Hepatic (CYP2D6-mediated)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risperidone

lamotrigine: Hepatic (mostly UGT1A4-mediated)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamotrigine

Both of these drugs are metabolized in the liver and PPIs should have minimal interactions unless slightly slowing the absorption.

I don't think you will notice any difference in bio-availability or effect by taking a PPI with any of these 3 drugs. It may slightly delay absorption and therefore onset due to slower dissolution of the drugs in your stomach, so I would think your best bet is to dissolve your medication into solution before taking it orally.

PPIs are heavily metabolized in the liver, which does affect the metabolism of some other drugs (diazepam, for example.) The ones in your list, however, should not be affected.

No use in insufflating the Temazepam. Just take it orally.

OP: what dosage are the 10 capsules you receive?

No use in insufflating the Temazepam. Just take it orally.

OP: what dosage are the 10 capsules you receive?

15mg, i have somethign similar to phase sleep disorder, and use the temazepam to realighn my sleep patern every once and while, plus my psych knows i have drug abuse tendancies so she won't give it for nightlighy use,

on the bottle it says 1-2 pills a bedtime when needed

Temazepam is the fastest acting oral benzodiazepine there is (confirmed by a British study, and corroborated by other studies). But the capsules really (Restoril form) really hamper it's fast action, slowing it down considerably. If you want, you can open the capsules, put the powder on a little sheet of tissue and swallow that with water. It will kick in in 10 minutes flat, usually less. Temazepam is the most rapidly absorbed benzo, that is why it is the most toxic - so you have to be careful not to overdo it and not to mix it with other CNS depressants.

Temazepam is not like other benzodiazepines - it can kill you, with relative ease when mixed with other CNS depressants (not that other benzos can't, just that with temazepam it doesn't take much) or even alone when taken in enough amounts. It's fatal toxicity index is 11.9, which is significantly higher than any other benzodiazepine. Benzo's as a whole have an average of 5.7, so you can see temazepam has a much higher toxicity index. It's higher than some tricyclic antidepressants and equal to some barbiturates.

^The fact that the toxicity index is close to some barbiturates means it should be treated with extra extra special care both by itself and in combination cocktails with other drugs.

Tread carefully. :)

It's why it was dropping people like flies in Europe back in the 1980's and early 90's. In Scotland, temazepam related overdoses out did cocaine OD's in a lot of years in the late 80's and early 90's.