• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

RCs Passing out

Dr Farnsworth

Bluelighter
In general i have had a friend pass out and start shaking/twitching on bad tabs.
A friend passed out after taking at least 4acoDmt + codeine and hit his head needing staples.
Another friend passed out on 2cE.

When people pass out should on various substances is it best to try to wake them? Or just monitor pulse and breathing?

I guess i want to be prepared in case it (or something similar) happens again.

Just make sure they don't fall and hit themselves, or hit something if they twitch... If you feel like you're gonna pass out, sit down...

If they start seizing for longer than 5 min you should call an ambulance.

And if they are just passed out is it alright to leave them for an extended period of time?

If they're breathing normally thry should recover fairly quickly on most standard psychedelics. With dissociative drugs they may be out for a few hours at most. If they stop breathing or are totally unresponsive to stimuli (be careful before you go prying people's eyes open looking for a reflex) you should definitely get EMS.

With respect to proper first aid protocol you should contact emergency medical services if someone has a loss of consciousness. You are also supposed to call them for (amongst others) chest pain, difficulty breathing, and mental confusion or disorientation. Unfortunately these can be regular symptoms of drug intoxication and the line between what is a safe level of poisoning yourself and what is a dangerous life-threatening one can be quite fine.

If a person is unconsciousness you should attempt to wake them. If you can't wake them then breathing and circulation should definitely be constantly monitored, but calling the paramedics will be up to you. Each situation will be different and often given time they will recover, but there is no way anyone can ever say it is completely safe to wait.

And if they are just passed out is it alright to leave them for an extended period of time?
It is difficult to tell if they have just "passed out" or had a stroke, petit mal seizure, brain aneurysm, or other serious medical condition.

Thanks amapola, thats what i thought. If you tell a doctor/the hospital that someone is hurt/messed up because they took a drug can that person be in trouble?

Not that i would ever avoid the hospital if i thought someone was hurt but a week or two ago when my friend tried 4acodmt and passed out we debated to tell them the truth or just that he feel skateboarding (chose the later because i dont think knowing that he took that would do them any good).

But with other drugs i would be worried about the chance of an OD/health problem or possibly drug interactions.

Thoughts? Would you go to jail if they knew you shot up (requiem for a dream)?

Thanks amapola, thats what i thought. If you tell a doctor/the hospital that someone is hurt/messed up because they took a drug can that person be in trouble?

They can be in trouble yes. Obviously it's not smart for OD patients to be subjected to criminal charges for calling for an ambulance or going to the hospital as it deters them from seeking help when they really need it. That being said occasionally the police will be first responders to the scene if they are in the area, and they also might be called if there is a perceived risk to the ambulance attendants (eg. known drugs house or something).

I'm really not sure in what cases and in what locales the authorities will find out and feel it will differ each time as well. Once medical personnel are involved though misleading them about the cause can drastically change how the patient is treated including causing incorrect methods to be used and I don't think there is much to be gained from legal-wise. Hell I bet you could even be held responsible for your buddy's death if you outright lie to the EMTs and it causes harm.