• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids withdrawal fast with self admin. of Narcan?

OCitchy714

Greenlighter
Okay i want to know if i where to go to a hospital and tell them that i od on heroin and they gave me narcan would it bring out all of my withdrawals in a short peroid of times thus rapid detoxing myself so i dont have too go through those terrible days. instead just suffer fierce wd in a short time and be done with it. Will this work

I have never been hit with a shot of Narcan, but I know people that have, and from what I understand it is quite a horrible experience. I don't think it will shorten your withdrawls, just make them kick in instantly.

Try looking up rapid detox. It usually involves putting the patient under though and you can't expect just a 45min naloxone shot to do it.

I'm guessing if you WALKED in the hospital its gonna be hard to sell the whole od scenario.

^Good point.

Narcan will start withdrawals, but I don't think it'll "condense" withdrawals in any measurable way. Just brings them about quicker.

I'd be happier that the hospital staff saved your life from an overdose more than anything else :)

No. It'll just bring on precipitated withdrawals for an hour or so, then it'll just fade back into normal withdrawals. One shot of narcan isn't just a magical addiction cure. Many times during times of over dose numerous shots of narcan are needed, since narcan is fairly short acting. Once it wears off the opiate you OD'd on just comes back en force since the narcan just doesn't magically clear all your receptors.

You don't want a shot of narcan. I have done a shot of bupe too early after taking methadone and if I had a gun I would have shot myself it was so bad. I seriously debated calling the ambulance but i rode it out and it just faded back into (now tolerable) normal withdrawals.

Bad idea.

you'd ruin a great heroin high by going to the E.R. and telling them you OD'd to get a shot of narcan? Man you really aren't an addict!!!

But seriously... it won't shorten the length of your W/Ds (although that is an interesting idea), it will just make them come on much stronger and quicker, I'd imagine you'd still feel like hell for the same number of days if you just went cold turkey...

also how would you convince them you OD'd on heroin if you are coherent? they probably wouldn't give you narcan unless the OD was causing severe respiratory depression and stuff like that... they will probably just monitor you and wait for you to get the H outta your system (3-4 hours). Talk about wasting a high! Reminds me of Chappelle saying he wouldn't want to waste his marijuana high talking to a cop..."it would be a waste of weed"...very analagous situation.

If you want W/D's to kick in quicker maybe take some Suboxone? You'll go into W/D right away and maybe 1-2 hours later the Buprenorphine will take over and you'll be W/D free and feeling a LOT better...

If you want W/D's to kick in quicker maybe take some Suboxone? You'll go into W/D right away and maybe 1-2 hours later the Buprenorphine will take over and you'll be W/D free and feeling a LOT better...

In my experience, taking suboxone(bupe) with methadone still in my system just threw me into precipitated withdrawals, and then an hour later there was still a lot of methadone on my receptors, but not enough. There wasn't enough bupe to out-compete the majority of the methadone so I just went back into normal withdrawals.

You'd have to take enough bupe to over-power basically ALL the opiates on your receptors.

I guess with heroin's shorter half life this is more possible, but taking more bupe during precipitated withdrawals just makes it worse. The only thing that made me better was a huge shot of heroin to break through the bupe/remaining methadone.

Fucking horrible.

I don't know about methadone but when I was using H/Oxy and was fed up with being a junky I took a tiny dose of suboxone 4 hours after having taken H and went through 1.5 hours of hell followed by 24 hours of feeling like a normal human from the buprenorphine binding to my mu-opioid receptors. I guess the naloxone in the suboxone made the h in my system jump off the receptors and then the bupe took over once the nalaxone wore off? i'm totally assuming this, but it did take about 1.5 hours of precipitated w/d's and then the bupe kicked in and i felt great again!

^No it was just the bupe. Bupe ripped the H/oxy off and then took a few hours to properly kick in. Naloxone is just a marketing device.

For the love of all that is holy, DO NOT take Naloxone/Naltraxone while having opiates in your system! Imagine day three / four of a heroin withdrawal, the peak if you will, coming on in about 5 minutes, and I mean FULL ON. It was the most terrifying experience of my life.

I, like you, thought "yeah, I'll just do some Nalaxone and be clean, job done". Oh no...within 2 minutes I had a back ache and felt sick, and got that horribly panicky feeling that I'd made a BIG mistake. I stuck my fingers down my throat but it had dissolved instantly. Then I started throwing up properly, withdrawal stylee, and having back and leg spasm's that literally threw me off the sofa. Within a max of ten minutes, probably more like 6 or 8 (and this is from a tablet of Naltraxone remember, not anything IV!) I was in full on withdrawal; weak, couldn't stand, being sick, spasm's, the full works. At this point I very very nearly called an ambulance but a friend crushed up about 8mg Xanax that I manages to not throw up and ride it out for the next 6-8 hours.

Trust me on this one, BAD IDEA.

well im going too rehab in a day and i just dont wana be up there kicking hard being on a tight schedule and doing chores. its gona suck just trying to think of things to help out but looks im gona just have too go though with it ... yes i have had narcan before in the past from a methadone overdose it was the worst pain ive ever through i was shaking violently, skin burning, hallucinating, extreme pain , the nurse was from some part of africa she kept asking me "what did you take what did you take what did you take" i was out of it i didnt know how to awnser' i thought they were using some experimental drug on me a truth syrum of sorts. it was pure torture enoughorangejiuce how do you know im not an addict man ive been going through the viscious opiate cycle for some time now this last time i was in rehan i came out did great then i got some bullshit staph infection that almost kill me and was givin iv dilly every 2 hours 4 mg that just totally fucked me over when i got out i was in the hospital a llitle over a month and when i came home and took all my scripts i started bangin heroin again now im going back and gettin my life striaght

well im going too rehab in a day and i just dont wana be up there kicking hard being on a tight schedule and doing chores. its gona suck just trying to think of things to help out but looks im gona just have too go though with it ... yes i have had narcan before in the past from a methadone overdose it was the worst pain ive ever through i was shaking violently, skin burning, hallucinating, extreme pain , the nurse was from some part of africa she kept asking me "what did you take what did you take what did you take" i was out of it i didnt know how to awnser' i thought they were using some experimental drug on me a truth syrum of sorts. it was pure torture enoughorangejiuce how do you know im not an addict man ive been going through the viscious opiate cycle for some time now this last time i was in rehan i came out did great then i got some bullshit staph infection that almost kill me and was givin iv dilly every 2 hours 4 mg that just totally fucked me over when i got out i was in the hospital a llitle over a month and when i came home and took all my scripts i started bangin heroin again now im going back and gettin my life striaght

No one can judge weather another person is an addict... Ignorance was apparent from the second I read that post. If it is a legit rehab facility you will probably be put on Suboxone/Subutex and have a taper regimine, I have found from many various Opiate related withdrawals that there is NO way to cheat it, however for me talking to people who are going thru/have gone through the same thing is EXTREMELY helpful and you should find that in your treatment center, good luck man!!

Naloxones half life is extremely short it will initiate Wds by ripping the mu receptors of its opiates. But if you have enough opiate agonist corsing through your system you can return to being high again, since the naloxone will be excreted quicker and you will be left with some opiates in your system. Thats why in a emergency room the protocol is for repetive administration of naloxone until patient stabalization. Naltrexone will do the same thing but less dosage is need due to its longer half life. Honestly there is nothing that will "condense" your wds. Only option is to treat the symptomology (nausea, diarreah, anxiety, dehydration, chills...etc). In my detox, i used cannabis as a GREAT tool in combination with clonazepam and loperamide. With allot of electrolytics such as gatorade or coconut water.

i got a shot of narcan a couple of months ago. long story.

it definitely did not cause immediate onset of wd's or condensed wd's. i didn't go for longer than about 36hrs before i was back on oxy, but that's long enough for wd's to start kicking in.

Everyone posting so far seems to be of the mindset that there is nothing that can shorten your withdrawals which I don't believe is correct. Maintaining a consistent high level of an antagonist like naloxone over a period of six to eight hours at the onset of regular withdrawal symptoms will indeed condense the symptoms of the first three to five days of regular withdrawal into that time period. There may be some of the longer lasting symptoms and PAWS afterwords but the more acute aspect will be over.

That being said the unfathomable levels of pain and agony that this would result in means it is only attempted while unconscious under general anesthesia in a medical setting. It is known as rapid detoxification.

Obviously the OP's idea about walking into a hospital saying you ODed won't mean they start you on this procedure, but it is an option for dependent users. Of course there was a big scandal in Canada when people died in unlicensed clinics, the chance of relapse as compared to traditional methods (where you feel the good times come back to bite you in the ass) is greater, and it costs thousands of dollars, but nevertheless it is possible.

I have seen those rapid detox procedures on the discovery channel. It was very very scary.

In simple terms, they basically knock you out and chemically rip all the opiates off your brain. The lady that was having the procedure done was going through all the symptoms that you would normally expect from withdrawl. She was sneezing (while unconsious), kicking her legs, moaning in agony, her nose was flowing like a river and her heartbeat was very erratic.

I couldn't imagine doing that while awake, it looked like absolute hell.

Edit: I should clarify that when she was going through her symptoms it was all happening very quickly, she would sneeze and kick her legs about every 3 seconds and then start moaning in agony, it was horrible, but after a few hours she was just fine.

Last edited:
FYI, about narcan or other rapid WD methods, it may be better short term... but the faster you get off, the more it exacerbates the post acute withdrawal, which is the big kicker.

^I have suspected this for awhile, but have not read any study in which this is discussed. Do you have an article in mind that you have read this from? I'm seriously asking, not trying to argue anything...

With benzos, this is almost certainly the case, but I have not read anything opiate specific... It makes sense that the same would hold true though...

I accidentally took a 50mg naltrexone pill while still high as fuck on heroin and I literally thought I was going to die. My heart rate must have been 180+ and the thought of dying made it worse. Terrible anxiety, chest pain, back pain, restless legs, rocking back and forth, short of breath

unless you are a serious masochist DEFINITELY AVOID THIS IDEA