Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Hep C and snorting equipment

mibrane

Bluelighter
AIVL - the Australian Injecting & Illicit Drug Users League - which is the peak body for Australian udrug user groups, has just released an AVANTCARD (the postcards in cafes, nightclubs, cinemas etc) resource exploring the risk of Hepatitis C transmission related to sharing snorting equipment (ie. straws and plastic notes). because regular snorting can lead to weakening of the nasal wall, and becasue the edges of straws are a little sharp, and can easily scrape the lining while inside, if the straw is then shared and the scenario repeated by6 the enxt punter, their is a real chance of Hep C transmission. even microscopic amounts of Hep C infected blood, if they enter someone else's bloodstream, can cause transmission.
we've seen research from Europe which suggests sharing snorting equipment as the most likely route of transmission for at least a couple of people infected by the Hepatitis C virus.
harm reduction equipment companies in Europe are now producing the equivalent of a fitpack, but which has your own straws, a mirror and plastic card to chop up on and with, a couple of little half-cotton buds dipped in a nasal softener to ease the damage to the nasal lining. they're pretty cool.
we're really encouraging everyone to use your own equipment when snorting. watch out for the AVANTCARDS, they have two straws sticking out the front of the card, going up the drawn character's nose!
contact your local drug user group to find out more about this issue - or if you're in Sydney come along to our techno tribes harm reduction info night at NUAA, thursday september 12, 6pm, 45 bedford st newtown.

Excellent mibrane! Nobody I've spoken to who works in the Hep C area has been able to clarify this for me other than agreeing about the theoretical risk of transmission via straws, so it's great to get some evidence-based info.
I am also interested in the risks associated with snuff dispensers used to bump K and snorting out of miniature spoons or even the ends of keys.
I will be along next Thursday evening if at all possible.
:)
[ 05 September 2002: Message edited by: D&AWg ]

Hey is there a risk of catching HIV that way too, i heard that somewhere...
Scary stuff.

Not only Hep C, but any contagious disease or blood born infection can potentially be spread via the sharing of snorting equipment. Herpes is a common one, and I know personally of 2 separate incidents where it was almost conclusively proven Staphylococcus aureus was transmitted via sharing a snorting implement. The person shared with in both instances had the infection.
This is probably made worse with coke, as you not only tend to have more frequent lines, but you also tend to anesthetize your nose, and are more prone to cutting the fine tissue with the sharp edges of a rolled up note or a straw.
Use your own implement – not a straw or note, and make sure the edges are smooth.
It’s more than good policy to not too share any delivery device.