Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Avils/travelcalms

SteveElektro

Bluelighter
Just wondering if anyone knows the name of the psycho-active in avils. I personally hate them, (only tried them once, NEVER AGAIN!!) I'm just interested in finding out a bit about the active chemical in them.

This is sketchy, so don't take this as gospal. I'm basing this on a reference I found on this page, so I can't be sure of it's accuracy.
According to that, avils contain a substance called scopolamine, which is an active ingredient in Datura (see erowids Datura FAQ for more info). I'm currently searching for more info to back this up - so until then take it as a starter for more research... :)

OK... scratch that (maybe)...
I've also found references to Pheniramine. This sounds more likely. However I'm going to leave it at that and let someone else who might know more do some searching around. Hopefully I've provided a start to some keywords to look for in various search engines... :)

Active Ingredients
Pheniramine (H1 block)
Mechanism:
Competes with histamine at the receptor site.
Indications:
Allergic conditions such as drug rash, angioneurotic oedema, serum sickness, hay fever, bronchial asthma, allergic eye conditions, mucous colitis. Allergic conditions of the respiratory tract which are accompanied by increased secretion such as vasomotor rhinitis and acute catarrhal rhinitis. Itching skin conditions such as neurodermatitis, eczema of all kinds, lichen ruber planus, acute and chronic urticaria, pruritis ani and vulvae, and pruritis in chicken-pox, in hepatitis and as an accompanying manifestation of diabetes. X-ray sickness.
Contra-Indications:
Hypersensitivity to pheniramine maleate.
Pregnancy and lactation.
Dosage:
Management of overdose:
Symptoms: CNS depression or normally in children cerebral stimulation. Symptoms of stimulation may include insomnia, nervousness, tachycardia, tremors, muscle twitching and convulsions. In children hyperpyrexia and convulsion. Autonomic effects are also possible.
Rx: Symptomatic and supportive.
Side-Effects:
CNS:Muscular weakness, lassitude, hypotension, inco-ordination and dizziness.From drowsiness to deep sleep ...normally transient. CNS stimulation is more common in children. Adults may also have CNS stimulation, with, palpitation, hallucination, restlessness and disorientation.
GIT:Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, constipation, epigastric pain.
AUTONOMIC: Headache, blurred vision, tinnitus, depression, irritability, nightmares, difficulty in micturition, tightness of the chest, tingling, heaviness and weakness of the hands, dryness of the mouth thirst, anorexia.
BLOOD: Blood dyscrasias, including agranulocytosis and haemolytic anaemia are rare, but have been reported with antihistamines.
Precautions:
May cause drowsiness ....warn patient qabout driving/operating machinery etc.
Due to autonomic side-effects ...use with caution in patients with narrow angle glaucoma and prostatic hypertrophy.
Large doses may precipitate fits in epileptics.
Pregnancy: Contra-indicated in pregnancy and lactation.
Porphyria: No data ...best avoided.
Sport: Permitted
Information source: Avil Package Insert

I have two such stories involving Avil. These occurred many years ago in a small country town of NZ where I grew up. Drugs were almost impossible to get at times and Avil was abused by most young dissidents of the area - but usually only once or twice. Put simply, the trip is Shit!!
The first occasion was an ordinary Friday night. Lads were racing cars up the main street, looking for chicks, and drinking modestly.[yeah sure] Someone broke out a few packets of avils and we shared them out. I wasn’t going to have any, but then a really straight guy I sort of looked up to (wicked guitarist) had some so I did as well [Dumb]. Some hours into it, hallucinations were getting pretty intense, when all of a sudden my mate jumped up and started screaming. There were bugs crawling up his arms, big bugs, and we couldn’t convince him they weren’t there. Then just as he was starting to relax, I too saw and felt things crawling up my arms and legs. Panic broke out and we all jumped out of the car. A chick in another car said we looked hilarious – trying to shake off whatever these things were. The strange thing was you sort of knew they weren’t there, only the feelings were so intense you reacted impulsively. Eventually we settled down, but ended up really fucked, sort of a semi comatose state. All recovered but I was the only one foolish enough to do it a second time.
This time the problems were worse. Although I only took 6, others gobbled down whole packets. We were stuck in a house in a far from home city on a rainy night and it was not comfortable. One guy, a loose character at the best of times decided to go out for some air. Shortly after, we heard an almighty crash and smashing of glass. What we saw next was nothing short of horrific. The guy decided to climb up a trellis on the fence line next to a glasshouse next door. We couldn’t understand how he fell until lying there bleeding profusely he laughed saying he was going to sit on the peak of the roof.
We ran him down to a close by hospital and after explaining what had happened, the duty nurse said they have had several avil related incidents in emergency.
None of us who observed that ever touched the stuff again, or for that matter any pharmaceutical for years (me anyway). The guy who fell through the glass house continued to take avil until about the time he got a job in a pharmaceutical warehouse. It was amazing how many bottles were broken during his brief employment. These included practically every known psychiatric drug, and a once off 5 grams of pharm grade cocaine. Of course he was better at cleaning up drugs than handling them ;)
These drugs are fucked people. Definitely not good recreational stuff. If you have any doubts about them (and you should) then please avoid them altogether.
Getting back to pheniramines; if you are interested in the pharmacology and chemistry of these substances; how they work and how they were designed, check out the following.
http://web6.duc.auburn.edu/~deruija/hist_antihis.pdf
Scopolamine like atropine was/is used as a histamine competitive receptor binder. The generic is Hyoscine. This is an interesting substance because at low doses it is an anti-emetic and causes drowsiness. At medium doses, perhaps because of the action as a muscarinic antagonist, it causes hallucinations and agitation, while at high doses it produces sedative effects. Hyoscine is seldom used today but Rang, Pharmacology; states it is given by injection to facilitate endoscopy and gastrointestinal radiology.

Was just wondering if pheniramine is related to that other psychoactive ingredient in travel sickness tablets, dihydrazine i believe? I agree with phase dancer these chems are definately not recreational in the slightest! It's like drinking medical grade ethanol, sure it'll get you pissed, but far too horribly pissed to enjoy yourself.
Disclaimer: The Tabernacle Corporation does not endorse the drinking of medical grade ethanol.

Err don't know if it would have been dihydrazine
dihydrazine sulphate MSDS
ACUTE INGESTION...............:
Ingestion may cause gastroenteritis
(inflammation of the lining membrane of the
stomach and intestines) with abdominal pain,
nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Systemic
effects may follow and may include ringing
of the ears, dizziness, elevated blood
pressure, blurred vision and tremors.
You are probably refering to diphenhydramine (excuse spelling)
motiondrugs.jpg

Although the schematics don't show 3D layout, you can see some structural similarities in the compounds. The 2 phenyl rings are involved in the major receptor binding. The tail end of the molecule will allow variations in the action and duration of the substance at H1 receptors.
From what I can gather, diphenhydramine has been largely replaced with other analogues - those which produce less "undesirable" side effects.
[ 06 September 2002: Message edited by: phase_dancer ]

lol sorry , ill try to do it

hey, im goin to explain my whole avil trip i had when i first took them
i took 30 of them, i kno it was very stupid, well i know now, didnt know then and my god that was the best and worst night of my life.

i was jus havin a quiet one at home an i was layin in bed watchin tv, nothing was happening so i was thinkin these things are sh*t so i was gonna goto sleep.So i rolled over facing the other way facing my blinds,/curtains, an the top of them there was all these vines n stuff growing up them.

I was layin down for about 20 mins jus watchin evreything that was happening to the blinds, then i decided to go tell my flatmate they were workin (he was sleeping in his room), on the way to his room i noticed the carpet in the loungeroom moving. so i went n had a look at it and it was all rippley and bubbly, like there was water underneath it, or it really was water just with a carpet texture.

i was playin wif that for 5 mins then went to flatmates room n it was almost pitch black in there, i told him i was hallucinating n then i looked at his desk, and he had a piece of paper on it and this tin can guy formed out of nothing and rose out of the paper and started dancing, it was like a coke can guy, then i started lookin at his blinds and they went see through and i could see out the front, but there was a gym with gym equipment and people workin out, on my front yard, then i could see the blinds again and like 3 things spun around and went to the middle of the blinds, and it was all sparkly n stuff like i could choose one of them, it was like the blinds were a futureistic tv and i could choose one of the channels with my mind, i chose one of them and a news reporter popped up on the blinds n started doin the news but i couldnt hear him talkin.
anyway after awhile i ended up goin to my room n made my flatmate sleep in my room incase somfin happened to me, i went n layed down in bed and wen my flatmate came in, this huge butterfly thing, it was invisible like predator, it was glowing , and it flew around my room and i was watching it in full detail, it came and landed on my knee and i felt it land on my knee, i reached over an touched it and it popped and i felt it on my finger, then all these lil invisible spider creatures were crawling all over my bed and i freaked out and ran out the room, came back and layed down in my bed.

i was thinking to myself, "they arent real, they cant hurt you" but i could feel them crawling alllll over me, i let this invisible scorpion thing crawl onto my hand, i seen it put its big stinger up and it dug it straight into my finger and it hurt ALOT and i got up and shook it off an still hurting n stinging in pain.

i eventually got to sleep, and next thing i kno im in bed at my work (at a factory) but its all dark and i can only see a few metres away before it turns to pitch blackness, 4 of my workmates are around me and it looks like there thinking "wtf is he sleepin at work in his bed for" but i couldnt hear them, and i layed up and i didnt kno wtf i was sposed to do, i was seriously layin there waiting for something to happen for about 20 minutes, then my boss pointed towards the factory door which icouldnt see cause was pitch black over there but i knew wot he was pointing at, so i went to grab my phone which was on my bed, and that disintergrated in my hand , and i thought i lost my mobile, and i thought my fingers were burning and melting the skin, i grabbed my wallet, that didnt disntinergrate, then i got up outa bed, and i stood on my flat mate that was sleepin on the floor next to me, and then i noticed i was in my bedroom , and none of that was real, except i was doing it all in real life, i think i was hallucinating it all in my room, anyway.

i went to sleep agian, i woke up again, and i seen this little black kid about 12 years old sitting in my computer chair, and another disabled guy about 17 years old sitting in my other chair, i said "hey" and they tried to say "hey" but i couldnt hear them, and i told them i couldnt hear them, i looked at the lil black kid straight into his eyes and i got a huge shiver and got scared, felt like looking a ghost straight in the eyes.
i went back to sleep and woke up again, i went out to the lounge room and the disabled guy was sittin on the floor, i asked if he wanted a lift home cause i just wanted him outa here and he started doing a stabbing motion and i got scared n asked him again, then he pointed out the front door so i went n got my car keys n asked my flat mate if he wants to come for a drive to take the guy home, and hes like "wtf are you talking about its only us two here" and then i realised i was hallucinating and none of it was real,.

thats how real it is, you dunno if its real or not, its 100% real, i went to my computer n chatted for abit, then i lookd at the carpet and seen something moving in the corner so i lookd at it , and it was an invisiblle rat, and it walked over the matress and i could see his foot prints digging into the matress, i could see him too but hes invisibible like predator so i couldnt see him properly but i could still see him, i watched him crawl over the matrtess and then get off, i seen the carpet dig in a tiny bit and move, theres also these little monster guys that have 4 springs as legs/arms, and if he was on the floor and wanted to get onto my computer table, hed stretch his spring and then fling himself up there , which was really scarey cause they could go anywere, they were invisible too.

i ended up going to sleep again, and i woke up again and the 2 guys in my room were leaving, the disabled one grabbed my old mobile tat was sittin on my desk, then they headed out to lounge room were front door is and i heard one of them say "look xbox games", and then i heard the front door shut, i went to my flat mates room and there werent any xbox games on the floor, so i went n told my flatmate that i think they stole his xbox games and he told me no one was here again, n then i realised i was hallucinating again, ALOT more happened too.

im jus gonna finish it off here, but every minute of the night there was something happeneing like that, oh yeah, and a week later i had 20 and experience it again but no where near as intense as that, on 20 was nothing compared to on 30, and then a few weeks later i took only 6 jus to go clubbin cause i had nothing ,i ended up passing out in the line and spewing and going home, so im never having them again and i dont recommend it to anyone , but it was the best trip i ever had and ever will have i think. but very lethal

EDIT: sorry about that, didnt realise the thread was 3 years old, i just did a search for 'avil' and thought id post here instead of making a new thread

Pillbear, welcome to bluelight. Do you know about the edit button?...

Bumping an old thread is fine. You might like to go back and replace your first post with your paragraph edited second one, then delete the copy.

Pillbear said:
hey, im goin to explain my whole avil trip i had when i first took them i took 30 of them

^ 8o 8o 8o

Man, I took 8 and whilst it had an effect the result was more of an uncomfortable and upsetting experience. I didn't like them.

Back to your Trip report though; how much of that where you actually conscious? many parts of it sound like you where in an intense dream state and when your sleep was frequently disrupted you where walking about but still dreaming, if that makes sense.

The report reminds me in part of when I took something like 300mg of 5HTP with red wine one night, now that was terrible!

OT i agree with you eggman i had 400mg of 5HTP and about 5 beers and it made for the most intense and real dreams i have ever had, although not classified as a trip it felt as real as one.

sorry phase_dancer didnt think of editing my old post

i was concious for the whole thing except the part about my work, im not sure if my eyes were closed or if i was seeing my work in my room, when i stood up i didnt feel anything change, just my workplace disappeared and it went back to my room.

when i attempted to talk to the 2 guys, my voice was REALLY loud and then i realised that it was really quiet, cause it felt like there was heaps of noise an stuff, i dont particulary like the avil world you go into, and how you feel on it.

i was still hallucinating the next night, not as intense but still hallucinating very easy, even could still see the invisible springy guys on the third night, still had the avil feeling too.

i jus t remember something else that happened.. i still remember stuff that happened that i completely forget about, i was watching my wall and it went see through, and at the end of my street is a park, and it looked like the wall was showing a zoomed in version of the park

a guy on a motorbike drove up onto the grass all wobbly n he stopped n threw his bike down, then this black car came up andstopped and 5 guys got out and they all started mobbing him.

you are able to unfocus your eyes to the extent where you go blind, i was starin at the blinds and i unfocused my eyes, which makes everything look kewl, then i did it again, and again, and again and about teh 5th time, my whole vision went grey and my body freaked out and tried to fix it, it fixes it in a few seconds, i kept trying to see how long i can do it for cause when it happens you get this special feeling i never felt before, and its like you go deaf.

edit: the scarey thing is, one of the new guys at work looked like the disabled guy i hallucinated, if my workplace gets a blackout my body gets scared for a second cause i always think, "is this real or am i dreaming or what".

edit: one more thing, one of my best mates wanted to try them, so i did them again with him, and we took 20 each.

we were both in the lounge room talkin to eachother, i have NO idea wot really happened next so ill just explain wot happened in my world, my mate was trying to talk to me, i dunno if he was muttering words and not talking properly or if i couldnt hear him, all i heard was a few words which led me to belive his brother had died, and i kept saying "hey?" "pardon?" ALOT cause icouldnt hear anything, then he said something about not to worry and then walked off.

the next thing i know i can hear him trying to breath, so i run around teh house looking for him and i couldnt find him and then i went out the back and he was constantly spewing that he could hardly breath, he had to quickly take little breaths between a few spews, that was scarey, i kept asking if he was alright and the next day i found out he was scared of me cause i had the raised eyebrows you get on avil, were you look like you seen a ghost but you look like that the whole time.

the next day, was still affectging me a tiny bit, and i was in the shower and i heard him talking to my flatmate, and i heard him say "and he still couldnt hear me" so i was thinking, maybe his brother did die, and i kept saying "hey?" and making him repeat it, cause it felt like he was getting sad as he tried to repeat it and then i felt bad.

i asked him if he remembered talking in the lounge room and i told him i heard somfin bout his brother but i couldnt hear him, and he said he cant remember it, so i got nooooooo idea wot really happened, or if i just heard him saying "and he still couldnt hear and kept saying what" or if he really said that, his brother is fine aswell

Last edited:
sounds interesting i thought travacalm was dramamine or something else i cant remember

They are really yucky. They made me go very white-skinned for a couple of days after.. The freakiest thing was looking at a pack of allens snakes and they were all alive in the bag!

pheniramine would be related to chlorpheniramine (an antihistamine) wouldnt it? certainly not a tropane (like scopolamine)

This is very old thread. Strangely enough Steve Elektro who started it 3 years ago Is sitting next to me!
I have had one experince in this poison as 16 year old and have no intention on doing it again. I posted a reply years ago.
I posted this reply years back.

Gotta agree with most other replies I had one experience with Dramamine when i was naive, stupid and immature. And that was one too many, getting poisoned on motion sickness tablet is a ridiculous thing to do. Its not tripping in the tradional sense, it doesn't provide magical images and mind expanding thoughts. Instead it kills your brain cells leaving blurs of vision and a lingering series of physical effects such as wide eyes for days, with extreme sensitivity to light. Im in complete amazement that this pointless poison is abused by a minority of uneducated and bored individuals. Its certainly not a halluceigen more like a deliriant. Total waste of time, if any regular users out their condone its recreational use you need your head checked ASAP. The negative effects outway the positive effects because there aren't any positives.
Old AVIL thread
According to this thread Dramamine is the substance.

wow that sounds so intense!!! How freaky to not be able to distinguish the different between reality and " hallucination " very good read, must say you kept me nicely occupied while im suppose to be working ;)

Ill never try any sort of hallucinogenic.

ok, im friends with pillbear and he mentioned one night he was tripping on it, and being abit of a dumb cunt (highly educated dumb cunt) i was liek fuck yeh, so i went and got some.
first night i had em.. i had 25
didnt think they were workign so i had maybe half a cone to kick em in (which it did straight away) i started looking at my wall and started seeing seethrough snakes ont he wall, so i turned the tv off and has fun lookign at my curtins and shit then i decide ill go have a walk around the house int he dark cause there was white spirals int he dark.. so im walkign around and i goto the front window and peer through them... i thought my neighbour was out the front so i was trying to spy on them cause for some reason i got huge paranoya too, anyway im looking at there place and im lookign at the car and i see somthign moving... i thoguht hmm is it my neighbour then it starts gettign larger and larger and i see its actualy a white gorilla and the gorilla waves at me and starts cossak dancing (that russing thing where they squat and kick there legs out) yeah well its doing this and im like wooooah this is fucken awsome so i went out tha back and had a smoke and i kept feelign like spiders were crawlign on my neck so i kept trying to rub em off... anyway that night was intense and i saw many other shit... but the worst thing was trying to sleep, you cant tell if ya sleep or awake, and it feels pretty sickneing too...
so next day i go see my neighbour am like oi wanna like propper halucinate.. you know see shit thats not there ect i told him about the gorilla and he dont believe me.. so anyway we go get some and have them... we have them and we sitting in my backyard with another friend so theres 3 of us though only 2 of us are on it... nothign happens for a while so i suggest a little cone cause im scared of fuckign myself up if i have a big one... so we both have lil one and sure enough straight after im looking at the ground and it looks liek the ground is about 30cm away from my face... im 6'0 so hats pretty weird.. anyway my mate starts realy getting paranoid and reckons he can see crystal rhino in the gardon lookign at him and crawlign around int he bushes.. then looks at ground and reckosn he can see spiders and crabs everywhere... anyway my normal mate starts entertaining us with fire tricks (hes abit of a pyro) and anyway i look at my mate and he looks like hes seen a ghost his face looks shocked and his eyes are fuuuucked... so after a while hes like man i got to goto bed im fucked... goes to chuck a piss and reckons the garden nome is staring at him and winking... so i goto bed and im in my room and i start hearing these noises in my head like echos and when i move my jaw i can control the sounds and there realy fucken hardcore, and i start hearing voices talkign to me... i start thinking omg ive made myself a schitzo with this shit.. but i keep doign ti anyway cause its fun and tripping and i start making songs with it... anyway that gets abit old and freaky after a while and the voices are makign me very paranoid.. so i decide to close my eyes
i close my eyes nd about 1 second later i can see through them and i can see everythign in my room.. i go walkign around and i can like pickup stuff and its exactly like i got my eyes open... and i made sure they were closed by testing it a few times... anyway apart fromt he most realistic halucinations ive ever seen, i wont take them ever again... for abour 4 days i felt liek my body was dieing and my eyes were playign tricks on me, id watch tv and anythign white would seem to shine off the screen.. almost 3d tv if you can imagen it... i dont realy regret taking it,... but i dont recommend it.. and ill definetly never have it again... if there was no after effects it would be fucken awsome.. but the good and bad are equaly as high. Your choice realy.. but i think youl never trip out as mucha s you will on avil hehe

twominds said:
This is very old thread. Strangely enough Steve Elektro who started it 3 years ago Is sitting next to me!
Whattya mean Dave I started this thread like five minutes ago, just before I went to the toil..........

.......WTF??

Am I on avils again?

=D

STAY AWAY FROM DRUGS, KIDS!