Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Raver Peer Education - Ravesafe NSW ?

mibrane

Bluelighter
Having finally seen Ravesafe Melbourne receive ongoing funding after seven years, I'm now here at the NSW Users' & AIDS Association (NUAA) working as Tribes coordinator.
Tribes was responsible for the first amazing Ravesafe project in this country, here in Sydney in 1993. It produced a video and guide, and the guide was then expanded into a booklet a few years later. massive kudos to all those who participated in those two projects.
Tribes provides funding for drug users from different subcultures to do peer education work in their own community, with a focus on reducing drug related harm. Projects have heaps of scope for addressing the issues of importance to that network, although it does need to contain a component of education about Hepatitis C and HIV.
It has been about five years now since Tribes worked in the rave scene (on the expanded RAVESAFE booklet.)
I'd really encourage ravers interested in party health, and ensuring punters can enjoy the wonderful aspects of our activities while reducing the chances of harm (fun maximixsation!) to contact me at NUAA. Many of you are probably already the ones who look after and support your mates when they've overdone it, or have made it your missions to learn about drug effects and interactions. Why not look into a way you can do what you love doing and get paid for it?! Tribes projects generally include funds for a project manager for a few months, and pay for peer educators.
Tribes funding is limited, and there are likely to be several other strong applications competing for the money pool, so their is now guarantee that a raver project will get up. But i'd love to do what i can to support party people to get something off the ground.
We'll be looking at closing applications in October, and dishing out funds around November (just in time for the summer season). So get in quick.
NUAA has a responsibility to drug users from right across NSW - so don't think this is only for Sydney punters.
To find out more call Michael, Tribes Coordinator on 02 9557 1476 or Freecall 1800 644 413 or email [email protected].
[ 27 August 2002: Message edited by: mibrane ]

heya mibrane,
go to australia events and get the email address fot the moderator:Djc*
he in our canberra HR crew and now has moved to sydney im sure he'llb keen to keep on with it once he settles down
[Edit: Disabled smilies so DJC*'s name would print out ok. BT]
[ 27 August 2002: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]

on the off chance that anyone was using my very out-of-date profile top contact me, it has now been updated.