Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

E and parkinson's disease

rocket33

Bluelighter
Just thought i would share this with everyone,found in telegraph[saturday] With reference to the multitude of letters articles and editorials on ecstacy use: no one mentioned that its use is linked to parkinsons disease The feel-good effect of E is caused by manipulating dopamine levels and cells.Over seas doctors state that with repeated use,dopamine cells are irreveribly depleted. It is known that a gradual erosion of dopamine- producing cells leads to the onset of parkinson disease. Articles in last weeks paper state that most ecstasy pills come from the Netherlans. They also state that "the appetite for E has fallen in Holland" Could it be that the lax drug policy of Holland is now producing many with PD and the word has circulated.

I thought the effect of MDXX on dopamine levels was fairly minor, and that speed has a much greater influence on dopamine levels. So I would have expected speed to be the greater "evil".

From www.erowid.org hosted - Info-E Rave Flyer (c. 1996) Practical Information About Ecstacy
Myths abound concerning Ecstasy's effects after repeated usage. Most claims (such as that it causes Parkinsons disease or drains spinal fluid) actually refer to other drugs or common misconceptions.
Furthermore, MDMA has far greater impact on the serotonin system, than the dopamine system. MDMA affects serotonin in the brain similarly to the way amphetamines affect dopamine. It is primarily a serotonergic drug. It also has an effect on the psychedelic (5-HT2) and cardiovascular (alpha-2 adrenergic) receptor sites. MDMA's effects on dopamine appear have been implicated in both its postulated neurotoxicity and psychological effects.
Further information (reference from Erowid): M. Rattray - "Ecstasy: towards an understanding of the biochemical basis of the actions of MDMA." Essays in Biochemistry, 26, pp77-87 (1991)
Moreover - MDMA has in fact been investigated as a treatment for symptoms of Parkinsons Disease. In 1941, the drug was tested as a relief for Parkinsons disease but dropped when one trial subject experienced rigidity of the muscles.
A BBC documentary (called "The Big Picture Ecstasy and Agony" when aired on ABC TV) shown on television last year showed a much more recent investigation where a British PD patient who spent most of his time frozen with symptoms of PD and unable to perform basic motor function skills was observed taking an MDMA tablet. Ninety minutes later he was able to walk, perform backflips and was essentially liberated from his symptoms for the duration of the chemicals effects.
The results of the trial astounded the scientists involved and they believe the use of Ecstasy in the treatment of Parkinson's Disease is worthy of further investigation.
See: http://www.parkinsons-vic.org.au/news.html
The confusion in this issue may be explained by the following quote:
MDMA also is related in its structure and effects to methamphetamine, which has been shown to cause degeneration of neurons containing the neurotransmitter dopamine. Damage to these neurons is the underlying cause of the motor disturbances seen in Parkinson's disease. Symptoms of this disease begin with lack of coordination and tremors and can eventually result in a form of paralysis.
From http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofax/ecstasy.html
If I'm missing something, let me know.
BigTrancer :)

They also state that "the appetite for E has fallen in Holland" Could it be that the lax drug policy of Holland is now producing many with PD and the word has circulated.
an interesting assumption... but without evidence, I'd have to say unlikely.

interesting choice for a parkinson patient.
spend most of your life frozen stiff and unable to move.
or risk some brain damage and move like normal people for a few hours.
a frozen body with a functioning brain.
or
a "possibly "IN THE LONG RUN" damaged" brain in a functioning body.
if i was in that position...
i know what i'd choose.
and **** everyone else.