• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Does alcohol strengthen the effects of G?

mutant

Bluelighter
I know it's not a good idea to mix alcohol with GHB but I'm not clear about *why*. I half-remember reading somewhere that it's because it increases the effect of the G so it's easier to overdose; is that true? Say I have half a hit of G left - would it be okay to have a drink with that and see how things go?
I did a search for GHB and alcohol but I can't find *why* it's bad to mix.. thankz*

Basically they're both central nervous system depressants, but they depress different parts of the CNS. So in combination, there's a whole lot of CNS depression going on and the risks of passing out are greatly increased.
It's not so much that the two substances react with each other, it's the double depression factor that can have severe effects on your breathing, and if you happen to pass out you might just stop (given a large enough dose)...
I'm pretty sure that's the reason - I might be slightly off on some technical bits, but the general gist is that both cause your body to slow down, and in combination you could slow to a dangerous level... :)

From Erowid --> Plants & Drugs --> GHB Vault: Health

WARNINGS:

* Be safe...avoid mixing GHB with alcohol. GHB can be dangerous when used improperly or when mixed with other depressants. Combining a normal GHB dose with alcohol can trigger the overdose reaction of temporarily unrouseable sleep. GHB has been associated with 60 deaths in the US, according to the DEA, though most have involved other drugs (most commonly, alcohol) or high doses.

* GHB may dangerously depress breathing in some people, at very high doses, or in combination with other drugs (primarily alcohol). GHB can also cause vomiting in combination with unconsciousness, which can be a fatal combination. It has also been known to cause breathing similar to Cheynes-Stokes Breathing. GHB has been associated with 60 deaths in the US as of Jan 2000, according to the DEA, though only ~20 have been confirmed as GHB-only deaths.

* Be extremely careful with your GHB dose. Just as you don't want to drink 4x the amount of alcohol needed to get you intoxicated, you don't want to ingest more than a single dose of GHB. As with other substances, start low and work up slowly to find your own, individual level.

* If you take a double dose of GHB you may FALL UNCONSCIOUS and be UNROUSEABLE for up to 4 or 5 hours.

* If you take 3 - 4 times your Personal Threshold Dose, you may find yourself Unconscious and Vomiting.

* If you take more than 3-4 times your Personal Threshold Dose, there is risk of death.

* If you take GHB, make sure your friends know about its sleep inducing characteristics. One of the most common dangers of a mild GHB overdose is being taken to a hospital and treated as if you have OD'd on a depressant. This include stomach pumps, breathing tubes and IV's, not to mention huge hospital bills.
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/ghb/ghb_health.shtml
Basically GHB and alcohol potentiate (increase) each others effects. Taking them together makes your central nervous system slow down, and your breathing shallower. Your dose of GHB effect you much harder than it should, putting you to into a deep, unrousable sleep, and your alcohol dose will hit you WAY harder, possibly leading to you vomiting while unconscious. (Possibly inhaling the vomit and suffocating, with no possibility of waking up or coughing to remove the material from your oesophagus).

Even small doses are not OK. You just can't predict how much each drug will increase the effects of the other, so it's not like Russian roulette where you may have a known chance of surviving the risk. Everyone is different and someone else taking a dose of GHB with a dose of alcohol may respond differently to you.

BigTrancer :)

Last edited:
ghb, 1,4b and alcohol are both metabolised by the same enzyme in your body. both the ghb and 1,4b are metabolised before the alcohol is so basically if you were to take ghb or 1,4b and alcohol at the same time you'd have all this alcohol in your body for a longer amount of time than normal..... this can cause complications with your central nervous system (as discussed above).
basically, due to the unpredictability of how the two substances interact together, mixing is strongly unadvised......
bk