Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Police net record ecstasy shipment (Melbourne) - The Age

johnboy

Bluelight Crew
August 20 2002
Police net record ecstasy shipment
More than 200,000 ecstasy tablets with a street value of up to $10 million were seized by police in the biggest haul of its kind in Victoria, federal police said today.
The 54 kilograms of ecstasy was allegedly detected hidden in a pool filter box on a container ship at the Melbourne docks on July 21, federal Justice and Customs Minister Chris Ellison said.
A 36-year-old Melbourne man was arrested last night and was due to appear in Melbourne Magistrates Court today, charged with possessing a trafficable quantity of ecstasy, attempting to possess a commercial quantity of a prohibited import, and aiding and abetting the importation of a prohibited import.
Senator Ellison said the Australian Federal Police mounted a major surveillance operation after the drugs were found on the container ship, which was alleged to have originated in The Netherlands.
"This is the largest seizure of MDMA (ecstasy) ever made in Victoria," Senator Ellison said.
"Although the final purity is yet to be confirmed, the seizure comprises some 216,000 MDMA tablets that have been prevented from reaching Australian streets."
Based on street-level prices, the ecstasy had a potential street value of up to $10.8 million.
The seizure was the fifth-largest in Australia for ecstasy.
"This sends a very clear message to anyone who is intending to import illicit drugs to Australia that they will be caught and if they are caught they will be charged with serious offences," he said.
AAP
This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/08/20/1029114100059.html
and for all you math's wizzes, that estimate is based on $50, which is reasonable... and i like how carefully it is worded...

Well there goes my weekend. I guessing if they found that shipment then it won't be anything thats out at the moment. Shame really because there seems to be a lot of shoddy pills doing the rounds nowdays.

Just saw Channel 9 News, they reported them to be Green Playstations. Interestingly there is a recent report on these in Pillreports....... hmmmmm ;)

Just about to post the same. But it looks like many different colors, not just green. Glad they weren't x-score....

upon inspection of the pills shown closley on 10 news, they would appear to be blue dexters, albeit a darker shade of blue than sighted on the streets recently, kinda speckley aswell.

Don't forget most of the time the footage you see on the news is usually file footage and can be quite old, they usually show the same film of pills for every bust. Saves them sending out a camera crew every time, so don't label them by what you see on the news because it might not be one and the same.
As for one bust causing a shortage..... Probably not. Everyone gets all scared every time the police pull in a huge haul but IMHO there is more than one big player in the Australian drug trade and haven’t we all decided that one of the bigger players probably is a boy in blue anyway ;)

A largish rave would have about 10,000 people. Say on average your looking at 4 pills per person. Thats 40,000 pills bought and sold in one night, at one rave.
So 200,000 aint gonna put a dent in the supply. I would hazard a guess that we would be looking at somewhere in the order of 300,000 of each brand would be coming in every week or two. Just my guess.

"average four pills per person"? don't project your own allowance onto others. i think one per person is still too high an estimate. not everyone does pills at an event, and those who do seldom do more than one. this comes from someone who tests pills at lots of events, and see what people pull out of their pockets to test...
but that aside 200,000 pills is just a drop in the pill ocean as far as our national supply is concerned.

agree with jb, i dont have pills everywhere i go out, recently i havnt had them in ages, and usually not at parties anyway, 4 pills? lol. not everyone needs 4, has money for 4, or has to have them at a rave.

i dont like big busts like these. bah anyway, nothing my whinging can do!!
and a side note, four pills per person? highly unlikely. i think at a rave of 10,000, probably 5000-8000 drop pills, and probably 50% of those people would only have 1 pill for the duration of the night.

This shouldn't effect anything too much I don't think. If it does who cares, everyone needs a bit of a break anyway. ;)
There is always something around, ALWAYS.

Yeah, with the pictures on the news last night of the customs officers smiling while posing with a bag of goodies, anyone know where I can get an image of that pose? I feel like doing some Photoshoping. :D
Yeah, just further to that, updated article in The Herald Sun with the picture I wanted.
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,4939957^2862,00.html
Interesting snippet:
CELEBRITIES on Melbourne's A-list are likely to be quizzed about a record $10.6 million ecstasy seizure.
A man arrested over Victoria's biggest haul of the party drug considers himself a mover and shaker around town.
His luxury black Saab is regularly parked outside gala events and he has rubbed shoulders with socialites and celebrities at a number of opening nights in recent weeks.
Umm.. how about the entire cast of Home and Away and Neighbours? LOL :)
[ 21 August 2002: Message edited by: hoptis ]

He said the seized ecstasy tablets were stamped with the PlayStation logo in a deliberate attempt to make them more appealing to the youth market.
bah. this generalisation about "targeting youth" has always shat me (see the harry potter fiasco) but this instance is even more annoying. why?
Forty-two percent of videogame players are 35 and older.
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.09/borndigital_pr.html
and that same article goes on to say that nearly half of all Harry Potter books ae read by people over the age of 24. These are not youth culture icons, they are mass culture icons. There is no conspiracy to target the young, we are all logo savvy, every one of us born after 1960.

OK let me explain the number 4. Let me first say that 4 is not my personal consumption. I would guess the majority of people out there would be have 2 in a night. But then you will have a fairly large number of people who will have one or none. These are the health consious people, smaller sized people, and the people who go for the vibe.
But then you have the big time users. I'm talking about guys/girls that will be eating up to 10 in a night. It's not as uncommon as you think, and of course we can't condone such consumption but it does exist. I doubt your gonna see these guys at the testing sites, because lets face it if your the kind of person who's eating 10 a night, then you really don't give a toss whats in it.
But this doesn't distract from the point that this bust is but a drop in the ocean.

200 000?
From the Netherlands?
OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you mean after that 100,000 and the other 200,000 we only have 500,000 pills left. Shit what are we gonna do?