• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Xanax tolerance

tripkillagorilla

Greenlighter
hello, so i would really like some help. I came off heroin about 3 months ago and got a klonopin prescription, but then about a month ago my doctor switched me to 1mg xanax. It was really awesome the first week or so, i would just pop a couple everytime i was craving or was super worked up or shit like that. I was told to take 3 to 4 mg a day and thats basically how many i was taking and bulit up a HUGE tolerance fast! so ive been slowly decreasing on the pills i take a day and for the past couple weeks have been down to only 1mg a day. is it safe to just stop taking them for 3 to 4 weeks? because i know it wouldnt be safe if i was taking 3 to 4 mg. a day but im not. im only taking 1mg. I would really like to completely rid my tolerance so i can get back in to popping them when i really need them. and please dont reply saying i should do what my doctor said. thats not helpful and is really not the advice im trying to achive here, I need to know HOW TO GET RIDE OF MY TOLERANCE!!! thank you so much for reading and hope to here from others people experiences or what and how to get rid of this awful tolerance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Clonazepam (Rivotril, Klonopin) is one of the more potent benzo's in terms of dose/effect and long half-life or the time the drug and its metabolites stay in your system. 1 mg per day doesn't sound a high dose and in the grand scheme of things it isn't though it is still a significant dose. If you simply stop taking it you risk a having a seizure. May not seem a big deal; if you are driving it may well be.
I've been addicted to practically every family of drugs i existence;
http://ehealthforum.com/health/dihydrocodeine-addiction-t242942.html
.... benzo's, opiates, barbs, non-barb sedatives (Doriden, Equanil...never did get a taste for Quaaludes - methaqualone), ketamine, MDMA, amphetamines . And yeah, good old clonazepam or klonopin is a regular companion.
If you are currently on 1 mg per day, taper off gradually and divide the doses if possible.
Go to 0.5 mg per day - 0.25 mg morning, 0.25 mg night for 7-10 days.
Then 0.25 mg per day for 7-14 days...not really practical or even necessary.
You can go to half that dose for the same time though shouldn't be required...see how you feel.
Don't forget cross-tolerance; tolerance to one benzo translates to aprox. the same tolerance to other benzo's generally and more specifically those benzo's belonging to the same sub-class. That is, long, medium, short acting/half-life, onset of effects and relative potency.
Klonopin and Xanaz are both potent (low dosage produce desired result).
Xanax is medium to long acting with long half-life.
Klonopin is long acting with a long half-life.

Search the net for benzo comparison tables - only believe the ones from reliable sources.

Just have to believe that you can do it and use these and other drugs without becoming enslaved to them.
Don't believe the government propaganda.

^ I'm pretty sure the op is talking about Xanax not klonopin but either way benzos are tricky when you stop doing them to be on the safe side just taper to .5 mg and then stop doing them

Well the only way I know of lowering your tolerance would be to taper down as low as possible to minimize W/D if you get any then just take a break from benzos all together. That has worked for me in the past so I help that helps. But i stopped taking benzos for about 2 months and my tolerance went down quite a bit and if i needed anxiety relief I used Phenibut to help in place of the benzos which worked good for me but not everybody likes Phenibut as much as I do.

Since you've only been on benzos for a couple months, stopping xanax at 1mg daily may not be very comfortable, and you'll probably experience some withdrawal, but unless you are already seizure prone I doubt you'll have one. I stopped a significantly larger xanax habit CT and went through some shitty withdrawal, but luckily didn't have a seizure.

But if you have access to the meds, and want to stop, I highly recommend tapering down even lower, to .5mg or .25mg per day before stopping. Xanax is a shorter acting benzo, so abrupt cessation will be more painful than if you were taking klonopin still.

When people are trying to taper off of benzos, they ideally get switched to a longer acting benzo such as valium or klonoping to do their taper. This isn't necessary in your case, but just saying.

Benzo tolerance is a bitch, though, it can take many months/years for it to go back to zero. You haven't been on them very long, though, so just only take them if you really need it, or feel like withdrawal is hitting you too hard. Take just enough to feel okay, not fucked up.

The magic with benzos disappears very quickly.

yeah with benzo w/d- you gotta wake up and go hard (and i don't mean with Enzyte)

I just finished my over a year long benzo taper and stopped at 1mg clonazepam and w/d was enough to make me WANT to get re addicted to opiates that i had kicked a month prior after taking them daily for 7 yrs.. so i went through benzo and opiate withdrawal together at the end of it all and now i feel like i can eat a bowl of nails for breakfast (WITH NO MILK).. short story.. the harder the w/d, the tougher you come out in the end.

/rant

EDIT: Didn't read any of the thread i just read xanax tolerance and with tolerance comes dependence and with dependence eventually comes w/d.. that was my reason for saying what i said. lol. sorry im a little off today.

I've been on benzos for 8+ years and nothing short of an end of the world type of situation would get me off them. I need them to be able to live at least somewhat normal life.

Today when i left for work i got a bad panic attack and i've had a couple lurking around the corner, wihtout my xanax i would had freaked out and simply left or quitted...

Good luck!

I used to use 6-8mg up to twice a day for a fair few months and stopped cold turkey and never had a seizure, im definitely not saying to do what I did but I dont think you would have a seizure stopping at the dose your on.

The real problem for me is that I have been off the xannies for over a year and when I rarely come across them I still need at least 6mg, I tried 4mg and it did nothing. It seems like my tolerance will never leave me which really sucks.

yeah with benzo w/d- you gotta wake up and go hard (and i don't mean with Enzyte)

I just finished my over a year long benzo taper and stopped at 1mg clonazepam and w/d was enough to make me WANT to get re addicted to opiates that i had kicked a month prior after taking them daily for 7 yrs.. so i went through benzo and opiate withdrawal together at the end of it all and now i feel like i can eat a bowl of nails for breakfast (WITH NO MILK).. short story.. the harder the w/d, the tougher you come out in the end.

/rant

EDIT: Didn't read any of the thread i just read xanax tolerance and with tolerance comes dependence and with dependence eventually comes w/d.. that was my reason for saying what i said. lol. sorry im a little off today.

Good comparison HOOD.

I am glad to hear you made it through both WD's too, that's amazing. :)

The best way to avoid benzo tolerance is to not take it regularly. If you have to, keep your dose low. Still take a day off here and there to help your tolerance start to drop down.

If you have used benzos long enough, it is likely that a permanent tolerance can happen, in which case, quitting is the best option.

I used to use 6-8mg up to twice a day for a fair few months and stopped cold turkey and never had a seizure, im definitely not saying to do what I did but I dont think you would have a seizure stopping at the dose your on.

The real problem for me is that I have been off the xannies for over a year and when I rarely come across them I still need at least 6mg, I tried 4mg and it did nothing. It seems like my tolerance will never leave me which really sucks.

Yeah it is possible it'll never leave you. It may suck but consider how lucky you are not to be dependent on it anymore. :)

And don't forget some other people with a bigger dependency may not even feel 6mg, for instance.

Benzo dependancy is nasty, you should be glad to be over it