Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Give me an excuse to buy 5-HTP

antiicheez

Bluelighter
My mother (my credit card is under my mums name) wants to know why I want to order 5-HTP over the net, when St. Johns Wort is available here and does pretty much the same thing anyway.
Obviously the problem here is that telling her that is helps me have a better comedown, and it keeps my brain fresher for my next pill isnt going to impress her too much.
Does anyone know why I would want to purchase 5-HTP over SJW (aside from the obvious)
Not too scientific please. I would really really appreciate some help , cheers

check out this link and read why SJW isnt too great, might give you some ideas you can work with.

a friend of mine told his mum that 5-htp was good for sleeping and that he hadnt been sleeping well. she didnt really ask questions. what about comparing prices or value for money? maybe try that?

Cheers, but SJW is also good for sleep (I had some last night and slept like a log), and it tends to be more expensive to buy it and have it airmailed (as opposed to shipped) over. That thread that you gave me is good cowboy mac, but unfortunately there isnt much there I can use.
Ah, if only my mums generation could hack the idea of pills like she hacks the idea of weed.

If she's asking questions, and you really don't want her to find out about your pill use, I'd bail on the idea of using her credit card sooner rather than later...
Who knows what could happen - tomorrow there might be a news story about how people that take the illegal and deadly drug ecstasy also usually use 5-HTP. Then your mum's gunna put one and one together and you're gunna have to do some fast back-pedalling... sounds like your mum is the type of mum that would do this, since she's actually questioning your choice of "sleep-aid"... probably not a likely scenario, but my point is - if you involve your mum and have to lie about it, she'll find out eventually. Mum's always do.
If I were you, I'd find a friend that's got a credit card and give them the cash for it. :)

Some legitimate uses for 5-HTP include:
Uses
5-HTP may be helpful in treating a wide variety of conditions related to low serotonin levels, including the following:
Depression
Low levels of serotonin in the brain can contribute to the development of depression. Many drugs prescribed for depression increase serotonin levels. Some studies indicate that 5-HTP may be as effective as certain antidepressant drugs in treating individuals with mild to moderate depression. Such individuals have shown improvements in mood, anxiety, insomnia, and physical symptoms.
Fibromyalgia
Although many factors can influence the stiffness, pain, and fatigue associated with fibromyalgia, evidence from several studies indicates that low serotonin levels may play a role in the development of this condition. 5-HTP has been shown to improve sleep quality and reduce pain, stiffness, anxiety, and depression in individuals with fibromyalgia.
Insomnia
Medical research indicates that supplementation with tryptophan before bedtime can induce sleepiness and delay wake times. Studies also suggest that 5-HTP may be useful in treating insomnia associated with depression.
Headaches
Some studies suggest that 5-HTP may be effective in children and adults with various types of headaches including migraines.
Obesity
There is some evidence that low tryptophan levels may contribute to excess fat and carbohydrate intake (which can result in weight gain). A study of overweight individuals with diabetes suggests that supplementation with 5-HTP may decrease fat and carbohydrate intake by promoting a feeling of satiety (fullness). Additional similar studies of obese men and women without diabetes found that supplementation with 5-HTP resulted in decreased food intake and weight loss.
From: http://www.healthandage.com/html/res/com/ConsSupplements/5Hydroxytryptophan5HTPcs.html
Also:
There have been several controlled clinical studies in humans. With regard to depression, it appears 5-HTP’s best effect is on those associated with aggression or panic disorders. For some types of depression, it doesn’t fare as well. For example, in people who have seen no benefit from using tricyclic antidepressants in treating their depression, no further benefit is seen by switching to 5-HTP.
Finally, a study indicates that use of 5-HTP in obese people resulted in feelings of early satiety (feeling full after eating a small amount) and reduction in carbohydrate intake. Significant weight loss was found in the group using 300 mg of 5-HTP, 1 hour before meals.
References
Sandyk R. L-tryptophan in neuropsychiatric disorders: A review. Int J Neurosci 1992; 67:127-44.
From: http://www.lifelinknet.com/siteResources/ArchivePages/HTP-B6-Controversy.html
Hope that's a help to you - I found some good information just by searching on www.google.com for the keywords "5-HTP uses". When I was asked what I needed 5-HTP for by people who wouldn't want to hear about drugs, I told them that it was a natural supplement used to help lower anxiety and help sleep, used by people who are under stress. That's mostly true...
BigTrancer :)

Originally posted by Pleonastic:

Who knows what could happen - tomorrow there might be a news story about how people that take the illegal and deadly drug ecstasy also usually use 5-HTP. Then your mum's gunna put one and one together and you're gunna have to do some fast back-pedalling... sounds like your mum is the type of mum that would do this, since she's actually questioning your choice of "sleep-aid"... probably not a likely scenario, but my point is - if you involve your mum and have to lie about it, she'll find out eventually. Mum's always do.
If I were you, I'd find a friend that's got a credit card and give them the cash for it. :)

Hahaha as if any of my mates have a credit rating better then me- we're all bums :D
I doubt the media would do that, cause 5-HTP could be seen as a form of harm minimalization, and its hardly likely that all us e-tards are smart enough to do THAT is it 8)
Cheers bigtrancer, that should be good. I have actually searched for info on the effects of 5-HTP, but I guess what I was after is why, comparitivly, 5-HTP is better then SJW. 'tis all good, I will try to convince her with those points, but she will just turn around and say "sounds the same as SJW to me"
(BTW I dont live at home anymore. I know it doesnt matter, but it must sound like I'm a little kid trying to score my mummies credit card. I have a card, but its under her name- I have to pay her back...)

Fair enough... from that extra information what I said probably doesn't really apply. Personally I don't like to involve my parents in anything to do with what I get up to - but when you weigh it up, the fact that you don't live at home anymore decreases the chances of you being found out drastically... :)
Best of luck with it anyway...

haha ok
put it this way- if she found out, there isnt much she could do about it, I just don't want her to find out because she would disrespect me.
Yo

Have no idea how many of you can use this as an excuse but if you suffer Post Natal Depression they recommend you try 5-HTP!!! I think having a baby helps explain that one to your parents ;)

it really sux that 5thp cant be available over the counter in sydney , not everyone has a credit card , whats up with our government and its damm law

I asked my chemist why, and he only had vague knowledge of 5-HTP. He said that it MIGHT have been because they were doing some tests on the plant that they get the 5-HTP from in Japan, and it failed the test, because it was genetically engineered or something. Just a guess.
I think he's wrong, my theory is that the government is fucked.

i thought it was banned because yeeeears ago a batch was contaminated and caused some really weird / bad side effects for users
im bored so i'll go find out why

clicky
yep like 10yrs ago contaminant "peak X" was found in 5htp and was seen to cause EMS blah blah blah
so FDA banned it, i suppose Australia followed suit?

Most brands of 5-HTP nowadays carry labelling such as "HPLC Tested to be free of 'Peak X'".
BigTrancer :)

hey as far as having a bad credit rating and wanting a visa card, you can get a visa card linked to your normal bank acount with with most banks with very little hassles. No credit no overdraft, but its a visa so you can use it over the net.