Tv tonight - channel 7 news "New drug called "liquid x" sweaps melbourne

ChEmIcaL_NiGhT

Bluelighter
Tv tonight - channel 7 news "New drug called "liquid x" sweaps melbourne

HAHA
yeah.
Real new.
Only been around for like 40 years.
Anyway. chanel 7 news 6 to 630 for a laugh.
Chem out.

Oooo! I hope it's on ACA and Today Tonight too - the two shows where it's OK to write off the stories before you see them - because they're never any good... ;)

FDA Approves GHB for select sleeping disorders.
I find this funny...
FDA approving it for use, while the media dishes out on it for been SOOOO dangerous..
Its simply a case of been more informed on dosage.
Pleo.. I'll dish out on stuff as much as i like, especially given the record from the commercial stations on these issues.

I actually agree with you on this one, despite my use of the winky face... ACA and Today Tonight are the worst shows on television... :)

ChEmIcaL_NiGhT: whether you want to admit it or not GHB and its analogues are very dangerous for mainstream use as a recreactional drug, people who know what it does dont get hurt (but it still happens) those who have no idea about dosage are the ones who fall victim. The media has a right to warn about its dangerous use because if you have no idea about it, and most dont, then it is dangerous.

i thought The Age article i read was slightly biased but im speaking from the view of someone who is familiar with it. i liked Pleo's point: they don't mention that GHB has recently been approved for the treatment of selected sleep disorders do they?
then again...scare campaigns rate better than the facts alone i guess ;)
[ 25 July 2002: Message edited by: Timmy C ]

Herald Sun - Friday 26th - Page 7
There is some truth to this article.
Paul Dillon, of the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre says that it is inexperience, not bad batches of the drug which is responsible for Melbourne's recent spate of hospital admissions.
I would have posted the whole article but i cant be bothered looking for it.

^^^^^
I would have said thank's for the info, but I can't be bothered either...

Club drug risk rises
By EVONNE BARRY,
health reporter
26jul02

OVERDOSES of the drug linked to the death of Hollywood star River Phoenix have risen sharply in Melbourne.
Party-goers have been warned to avoid the illegal drug, nicknamed fantasy, following a spate of life-threatening overdoses last weekend.
Five men, aged between 18 and 30, were admitted to the Alfred Hospital over three days after taking GHB (gamma-hydroxybutyrate).
All required life support after they stopped breathing.
Health authorities fear a particularly deadly batch of GHB, which is also known as liquid ecstasy, may be circulating at nightclubs around the Prahran hospital.
The rise in overdoses has only been recorded at the Alfred Hospital.
Two of last weekend's victims had been to the same club.
"It does seem to be an issue that is associated with this area," Health Minister John Thwaites said yesterday.
"We want to warn young people about the very extreme danger of this drug fantasy, which is going around at some parties now."
Associate professor Mark Fitzgerald, director of emergency services at the Alfred Hospital, said users were unaware of the potentially deadly effects of GHB.
"None of these people are bad people. I think they are just inexperienced," he said.
"They've been given an agent, they're unsure of its effects and they've had near-death experiences."
The drug, which is taken in liquid or powder form, is a depressant that was once used as an anaesthetic.
"It knocks you out. It stops you breathing," Professor Fitzgerald said.
"The medical profession stopped using it in the 1960s because it's unpredictable and too dangerous."
In 1993, actor River Phoenix died after he collapsed on the front pavement of a West Hollywood nightclub.
Autopsy results revealed he died from a potent cocktail of several drugs, including GHB.
Paul Dillon, of the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, said fantasy was particularly easy to overdose on.
He believes inexperience, not bad batches, is responsible for Melbourne's recent spate of hospital admissions.
"I don't think you have bad batches of it. I think it's more to do with 'GHB naive' people taking it," he said.
"Saying a bad batch implies that there are good batches.
"This drug should not be taken lightly. It's highly dose-dependent.
"It's a very powerful depressant that can cause your respiratory system to collapse."
Mr Dillon said GHB was potentially lethal, particularly if taken with alcohol.
However he said no deaths had officially been attributed to the drug in Australia because it was difficult to detect.
"The problem we have is that if you don't actually get a blood or urine sample incredibly quickly (after death), you can't detect it," Mr Dillon said.
Source - Herald Sun

I heard on Triple J this morning that there is a bad batch going around and people should avoid it. And I quote from Adam Spencer, “Please avoid the drug called Liquid X as there is a bad batch going around. It is putting 70% of the people that use it in hospital.” (Quote from my bad memory)
This is not the sort of this they usually do on the radio, so I commend them for trying to help warn people, but the facts were wrong.
Inexperience is the problem, not bad batches.

I'm amazed that nothing has been said in the media (or on this post) about mixing G with alcohol. I reckon it's the drinking then the consumption of G that fucks people up. Isn't that what happened up in brissie a while back??
(Ah, just read the other post about the batch of bad G ;) - the alcohol thing gets a mention there!)
[ 26 July 2002: Message edited by: cAmmAc ]