Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Melbourne antioxidants...

*HappyApple*

Bluelighter
I have searched and searched around health food stores and chemists, and i cant find a source for alpha lipoic acid... (except for on the net, but alas no credit card)...
Can anyone help?

Apparently you can get it if you ask the staff - I think it's sold on naturopath's advice only. So try one of the bigger health shops. ALA is very short acting, so unless you get a sustained release formula, I believe you need to re-dose frequently.
Failing that, I am rather fond of another antioxidant called grape seed extract. Although there are no studies on using it to reduce MDMA related neurotoxicity, logica suggests it should be helpful. It is very long acting compared to vitamin c and ALA, which is a bonus. Apparently it can also reactivate vitamin c and e when they have been used up, prolonging their effect. It's not cheap but it is easy to obtain.

Happyapple,
Alpha Lipoic Acid is now available from the American vitamin company Solgar, who produce some of the best quality supplements in the world.
It's in a gold bottle, and available in 60mg or 120mg potencies - just go to any health food store of pharmacy that stock Solgar, and ask them to get it in. :)

It's always under the counter (in my experience) throughout Sydney.
:)

Thankyou all kindly...
For what reasons are there these restrictions (albeit very weak ones) on its purchase OTC?

Not any restrictions that I'm aware of...
Just go to vitaminzone.com.au, click on "by Brand", click on "Solgar", and there you have it - 60 caps of 120mg ALA - $30.52!
It's all too simple!
:)

*HappyApple*: I think the only restriction is that the naturopath on staff give you advice on it's use (a bit like how the pharmacist is upposed to do when you buy a box of panadeine). I have no idea why this is the case however.