Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

5-HTP in bananas?

Altered_mind

Bluelighter
OK, I can't get 5-HTP in caps here in Syd so I was wondering how much 5-HTP does each banana contain? How many bananas will I have to eat to equal a 5-HTP capsule?
[Edit: Fixed title and replaced all references to '5thp' with '5-HTP'. BigTrancer]
[ 16 July 2002: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]

They don't actually contain 5-HTP as such... but they do contain tryptophan which is one direct step before 5-HTP and is converted in your body...
As for the actual amounts you'd need to eat to equal a 5-HTP cap, I'm not sure on that - I'll go try to find out now (unless someone beats me to it)... :)

I eat 2 bananas a day everyday but they definitely make a noticeable difference on a come-down. I eat one usually at about 6-7am then another at about 12 then one at night and u it makes a huge difference for me. But no I don't know how much tryptophan is in them

Here's an interesting article that I found on the web. I couldn't confirm any of the details at this stage, because I have very dodgy internet access at this point, but many of the comments seem to make sense, in a weird engrish kinda way.

NB: I have left all spelling as it exists in the original article here

Too little vitamin B3 enhances serotonine (sic) deficiency.

[*] Vitamin B3 deficiency commonly comes with serotonine deficiency, for both substances are composed of tryptophan. If sufficient B3 is available, no tryptophan needs to be transformed into B3, leaving more tryptophan to be transformed into serotonine. Like meat and nuts, raw salmon, tuna and mackerel are loaded with B3.
'Happy' and 'sleepy foods' improve both serotonine and vitamin B3 production.

'Happy-' and 'Sleepy-food'
The body actually doesn't need much tryptophan to compose serotonine. And yet you can consume lots of protein containing lots of tryptophan, with serotonine production remaining far too low. Simply because protein also contains amino acids inhibiting serotonine production, like leucine and phenylalanine in particular. Optimizing serotonine metabolism therefore is not about consuming protein containing much tryptophan, but about consuming protein containing relatively more tryptophan than leucine and phenylalanine. Consuming such proteins improves serotonine metabolism, allowing you to feel happy, and sleep well.

Great 'happy-' and 'sleepy-foods' are fruits like dried dates, figs, papaya, banana, strawberries, sweet cherries, orange, mango, pineapple, grapefruit and hazelnuts, combined with fresh raw egg yolk (because of the cholesterol), alternated with fresh raw salmon (because of the vitamin B3).

Of course the best 'happy-foods' are easy to digest and should be consumed raw.

Mushrooms and potato crisps are best 'happy'-munch-food (crisps combine well with egg yolk and avocado), but consuming mushrooms can cause gripes.

Why are these foods 'happy-' and 'sleepy-foods'?

Because these foods are high in tryptophan and low in leucine and phenylalanine. (and contain cholesterol, fats and sugars when combined)

To know what foods can improve your sleep and happiness, you have to look at their SPF. 'SPF' = 'Serotonine-Production Factor' = tryptophan / (phenylalanine + leucine).

For example: if the SPF of a certain food-protein is 50%, this protein contains exactly as much tryptophan as the average of phenylalanine and leucine, strongly improving serotonine production. All foods with a SPF below 10%, more or less inhibit serotonine production. Whether these low-SPF foods actually do inhibit serotonine production, depends on how much protein they contain.

To enhance serotonine production, you should consume as little low-SPF foods, especially when containing much protein. (avocado doesn't) So, consuming corn flakes for breakfast, bread for lunch, and pasta with lobster or horsemeat for dinner, is an extremely bad idea;

Code:
[b]SPF* -  Food[/b]
95%  -  edible boletus 
43%  -  date, dried
32%  -  papaya **
32%  -  chanterelle
29%  -  banana
22%  -  strawberries
21%  -  sweet cherries
17%  -  mango **
17%  -  cashew nut
16%  -  pineapple **
16%  -  grapefruit
15%  -  fig, dried
14%  -  hazelnut
14%  -  carrots
13%  -  potato crisps
13%  -  orange
12%  -  guava **
12%  -  mushroom
12%  -  crawfish
12%  -  egg yolk
12%  -  apricot **
11%  -  oyster mushroom
11%  -  wheat whole meal bread
11%  -  peach
11%  -  tomato
11%  -  oriental sesame               
10%  -  sunflower seed
10%  -  chicken breast
10%  -  salmon
10%  -  mackerel
10%  -  beef, muscles only
10%  -  goose
10%  -  rolled oats
10%  -  green peas, canned
10%  -  Brazil nut
 9%  -  walnut
 9%  -  peanut
 9%  -  tuna
 9%  -  turkey, young
 9%  -  Soya bean
 9%  -  crisp bread
 9%  -  mandarins
 9%  -  cow’s milk
 8%  -  apple 
 8%  -  lamb, muscles only
 8%  -  rice
 8%  -  white bread
 8%  -  coconut
 8%  -  Lamb’s lettuce
 8%  -  quark, fresh cheese
 7%  -  lentil
 7%  -  avocado
 7%  -  cheddar cheese
 7%  -  yogurt
 6%  -  almond
 6%  -  bread rolls
 6%  -  oyster
 6%  -  white beans
 6%  -  rye bread
 5%  -  horsemeat
 5%  -  pasta made with eggs
 5%  -  lobster
 4%  -  shredded wheat bread
 3%  -  sweet corn
 3%  -  corn flakes

Warning: Besides tryptophan, 'happy foods' like papaya, banana and pineapple also contain lots of serotonine, which you cannot utilize as serotonine in the brain. If you are not used to eating much of theses (sic) fruits, your body needs time to produce more enzymes decomposing the serotonine from these fruits. So, if you are not used to eating much of these fruits, increase consumption gradually to enable enzyme production keeping up with serotonine consumption. If you don't, exogenous serotonine is not decomposed sufficiently, and can harden heart-muscles, causing mild heart pains.

Code:
* Amino acid contents have been taken from: 
Souci, S.W. et al, Food Composition and Nutrition Tabels (sic), 
Medpharm Scientific Publishers Stuttgart.
** Amino acid contents have been taken from:
The USDA Nutrient Database at: [url=http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl]www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl[/url]

© 2000 Copyright Artists Cooperative Groove Union U.A.
For related topics, click here

The warning at the end seems to make sense – about the serotonin (5-HT) ingested not being able to be used in the brain meaning we need to eat tryptophan or 5-HTP (because 5-HT can't cross the blood brain barrier, while 5-HTP can).

BigTrancer :)

[Edit: Fixed formatting for VBulletin. BigTrancer]

Last edited:
To get ~1000mg of tryptophan from bananas between 8-10 large cavendish are required.
A better idea is to make milk smoothies with 2-3 bananas and all the goodies you'd normally have.
Many foods contain tryptophan... here a couple of good threads
Serotonin restoring natural foods
wanna have some dreams
This thread explains with pictures, the pathway form tryptophan through 5HTP to serotonin

WooHoo!! I knew my strict diet of goose was good for something
Seriously, I always have a banana, tub of yogurt & turkey roll for lunch. I have done for ages now. Maybe this is the reason why I never went nutzo (like others I know) after going out -> week in, week out for months.. (I no longer do this tho)
I also have mushrooms, most nights at dinner.
Should I even bother continueing to purchase 5htp ??

^ Why not? It's cheap at about 40c per 100mg capsule from various easily contacted sources online... if it stops you feeling bad, then go for it.
The much-debated topic of neurotoxicity aside, if having a bottle of 5-HTP at your house means that when you come home from a club/event you see the bottle and think about your health for even 30 seconds, then it's good to have on hand. Then, there may be a chance that you won't lose sight of the fact that drugs cause some harm to your body, and nutritional supplements, food, antioxidants and vitamins can be beneficial.
At the very least, assuming it works only as placebo due to your diet and state of health, at least it's a cheap reminder to take care of yourself.
BigTrancer :)

Originally posted by BigTrancer:

pasta with lobster or horsemeat for dinner, is an extremely bad idea

Aaaw man, I love wolfing down a nice lobster or horsemeat pasta for dinner... :(
:D

ahha for OTC tryptophan just get sustagen sport its like $18 and has 345mg/100ml! and its sorta yummyish if you drink it REALLY fast and get the chocolate one (chocolate one has more tryptophan anyways ;) and mix it up with lotsa milk!

^^ How do you know that Sustagen contacins Trytophan? If it can be proven I will invest!

Because it says it on the label. You must get SUSTAGEN SPORT thought (not sure about hospital) but standard sustagen won' t have the tryptophan and tyrosine etc (it has a LOT of non essential amino acids + vitamins).

I swear by Sustagen Sport after drug sessions. (and for normal day to day ;life) :)

^^ Me too. Used to be a fan of Up & Go, but Sustagen Sport appears to be far more beneficial...

:)

My usual breakfast after a big night is a Sustagen and milk after I've gotten that first few hours sleep (say, at 8 or 9am), then when I fully wake up, scrambled eggs with bacon and toast. Seems to do the trick.
On a side note; I bought 5HTP from an overseas pharmacy and I didn't notice any difference really after using it. It might just be me or it could have been crap stuff, but that's my opinion. I won't waste my money again. A good vitamin B supplement, vitamin C and food and water does the same trick for me.

i love up and go, if i dont feel like eating but know i have 2, then i chug down an up&go... ill look out for this 'sustagen sport' from now on tho

Found a really good book a while ago about diet, lifestyle & serotonin, melatonin, adrenalin, cortisol & insulin brain chemical balance. Very easy to read and explains realistic and easy ways to manipulate key brain & body drugs to maintain a more balanced level.

High Life - Balance Your Body 24/7
Matt Church
Available from the ABC shop for about $30.