Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

4-MTA in Australia

lorrett

Bluelighter
Don't know if this is the right place for this topic but I was wondering how often 4-MTA turns up in ecstasy pills in Australia. I was in Amsterdam a few years back and 4-MTA was readily available from the "smartshops". But on the 1/1/00 it became illegal like mdma. There must of been a stockpile of the stuff left over...just like what happened to mdea.
Can current otc testers identify mta in pills? Has anyone knowingly encountered it in Oz? And what did they think of it? I thought the effects were like being stoned and drunk. I wouldn't go back for another round.
Thanx for any constructive info.

From a quick look around the net, I've found that 4-MTA produces no colour change in a Marquis reagent test. As for other tests though I'm not sure...
I don't know of anyone personally that's come across it in Australia - but that's not to say it hasn't happened... if any police out there would like to post their knowledge of this chemical coming up in pill seizures it'd be much appreciated... ;)
For those interested, here's some links to info on 4-methylthioamphetamine:
ecstasy.org info (from london toxicology group website)
Erowid 4-MTA Vault
DEA info
[ 13 July 2002: Message edited by: Pleonastic ]

4-MTA pills are known as "flatliners".
Do a search on that term in the archive and you'll find a few references to them in Australia, but I haven't heard anyone mention them for a long itme now.

When I posted the above links I didn't throughly read all the info at the time - I just skim read it... anyway, I just finished reading them all properly and I found that 4-MTA will very slowly turn blue with a Cobalt thiocyanate reagent test (which is commonly used to test for the presence of cocaine)... :)