Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age 09 Jul 02: Lleyton under fire for smoke

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Lleyton under fire for smoke
July 9 2002
Lleyton Hewitt is under fire from anti-smoking groups after pictures of the celebrating Wimbledon champion smoking a Cuban cigar featured in newspapers around Australia today.
The Queensland Cancer Fund said the world number one had sent a terrible message not only to Australian children but to children around the world.
"We're dealing with very impressionable young people here," the fund's acting executive director Alan Hooper said.
"We're not dealing with adults who are able to make informed choices.
"We're dealing with people who see a sporting hero, someone they admire and look up to and in most cases would like to emulate."
Quit Victoria also called on Hewitt to set a better example to young people...
Full article at: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/07/09/1025667134205.html
OK, what the fuck is up here? He is the best tennis player in the world, aged 21, just won the big one, and he's not allowed to have a nice black cuban to celebrate? Or are they just pissed off that he posed with it in his mouth? Either way it's an overreactive piece of shit IMHO.
BigTrancer :)

I doubt all the kiddies are going to start sucking down big fat poop sticks just because Lleyton did - for the simple reason that cigars taste like crap to most children and are too expensive for them to buy (when normal ciggies are much easier and cheaper to get)...
I'd have been more impressed if there was a photo of Lleyton doing a phat line of celebratory Wimbledon coke and then telling the media to "go fuck themselves because I am the king"... :)
It's not like they were starved for stories either - there's a British boat on rocks, the American corporations are cooking their books, two white people just had a black baby, and the cops in LA are belting the minority groups again. Yet our little Lleyton has a puff of a cuban and it's front page material...
No wonder our media has no credibility... ;)
/rant off

i actually thought this would hapen the moment i saw th pic. i wouldn't be at all suprised if a journo thought the same thing then rang up the QCF for a comment, to bait them.
but yeah, fuck em. he deserves a lot more than a cigar for his work.

It's actually the media's fault for publishing him smoking a cigar on the front page.
There is nothin wrong with smoking a cigar after winning a grandslam, it's just the way the MEDIA portrayed it

lmao Pleonastic...
I think the media is doing a wonderful job dealing with the IVF news at the moment.
The issue isn't "IVF mistake"; it's
"Hey, white people give birth to black folk..... look..... LOOK"
Possibility of finding A Current Affair reporting to the tune of "IVF clinic accepts suspected black junky sperm and ovum donors"?

Frustrating :\
Is Hewitt out to set an example for young people? Is he out to be a role model? No, he's out to play tennis, and live his life...
I suppose it's one of the prices you pay for being famous & successful...

That is so full of shit
Smoking cigarettes or cigars is ones choice
There is no way kids are going to go lighting up just because lleyton hewitt smoked one and its cool.
If the press and anti smoking groups are too dumb to notice that then let it make a Fuss, he has made a great sporting achievement who really cares what he does.
Its the same as drugs, people dont take them because famous people take them and they want to be cool like them, people take them for fun, becaus they want to and for the experience.

Originally posted by En_warp:
It's actually the media's fault for publishing him smoking a cigar on the front page.
There is nothin wrong with smoking a cigar after winning a grandslam, it's just the way the MEDIA portrayed it

Can't be said any better than that. If the media's so worried about the impact it'll have on kids, why publish the photo....or would that impact on their sales?

Simple. It gives the media something to play with. And it gives the anti-smoking lobbies something to do.
Nuff said.

What the hell is going on?
A man achieves possibly the biggest goal of his life and he can't even suck down a cubano?
What a load of shit.
DOWN WITH DUMBASS MEDIA

Soon as I saw it, I too thought, OK media frenzy, especially after the first birthday of no smoking in resturants.. it was just feeding the big media Monster.
I spose if they showed him drinking a pot of beer, all the little kiddies are going to get drunk and turn into alcoholics, I think NOT, it's just all wrong..

[rant="on"]
Okay i'm sick of this shit you study marketing you know the drill
creatte a product that will get banned = MASS MARKETING
now.. the anti smoking boards are so dumb they can't see that doing this shit promotes smoking!!!
duh and how many people are goignt o be popping e now that that cyclest came out about his "once off e experince" hehe doub that but it is just promoting the drug more than hampering its effects on society.