Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Replenishing Seretonin while Pillin'

Peaking Shaun

Greenlighter
Hey dudes!! It has come to my attention, the issue of seretonin depletion while on ecstacy.. You use up your seretonin right, and when going on the 2nd and 3rd pill, it is great, but not the same as the first.. i'm wondering, if while you are peaking, or 3 hours into it, you down some tryptophan (seretonin) rich foods.. or drinks! (we know we cant eat.. hehe) and then pop your drugs, will you generally get a better feeling because you have replenished your seretonin levels? Anyways i'm going to try it on the weekend and see what happens and then get back to y'all.. Any comments, feel free!
Keep on smilin'!! :eek: ))

From my limited medical knowledge it doesn't work - it takes time to convert to serotonin...
Dunno if it's my place to comment either, so feel free to ignore what I'm about to say - but if you're taking 3 pills and it still doesn't feel good enough then maybe the issue is a huge tollerance you've developed...

The general bluelight consensus is that 5-htp (what tryptophan is converted into before being converted to serotonin) takes around 6-8 hrs to start happening, so therefore tryptophan will take even longer to be converted into serotonin (and to cross the BBB - Blood brain barrier) as the serotonin needs to be in your brain if you want it to be affected by your roll.
So in all honesty, I don't think any loading during your roll will make it any better unless it’s a placebo effect.
Have you tried preloading with 5-htp, antioxidants?
*edited* thanks babydoc!
[ 09 July 2002: Message edited by: wazza ]

Waz: that has been the bluelight consensus (that 5HTP takes many hours to be converted to serotonin) but see this quote from zorn:
5-HTP is actually metabolized to serotonin very quickly. The natural step of tryptophan->5-HTP takes hours typically, but 5-HTP->serotonin takes minutes or less. So 5-HTP pills will take the usual ~hour to "kick in." from MDMA/neurotoxicity misconceptions (long)
I don't know what his source is for that, but I'm inclined to agree with it, based on my personal experience. Tryptophan takes hours to be converted to serotonin, and given that 5HTP is a step closer to serotonin, it makes sense that it takes less time than tryptophan ->serotonin.
Peaking Shaun: some people find taking 5HTP during a pill helpful, others don't. You'll just have to try it and see. Don't take a lot of 5HTP at first, as it can upset your stomach and some people find it makes them feel sleepy.
Taking 5HTP will not mean you can keep taking multiple MD** pills however. Somehow, you will still reach a point where extra pills just increases the negative effects without adding to the positive effects IME. Search the ecstasy forums for more on this topic. And don't forget your antioxidants!
[ 09 July 2002: Message edited by: babydoc_vic ]

It has also been of general opinion from posts on this forum, and the Australia Drug Discussion Archives, that taking 5-HTP immediately prior to MDMA will result in a mellower, more loved up and less rushy roll. For this reason, many people incrementally increase a preloading regime to conclude on the night prior to taking MDMA, and then take postloading doses to help recover.
Example: Simple preload/postload intending to roll Friday night:
  • Take 100mg Tuesday night prior to bed.
  • Take 100mg Wednesday night prior to bed.
  • Take 200mg Thursday night prior to bed.
  • Take MDMA Friday night, having ingested no 5-HTP that day.
  • Take 200mg Saturday morning upon arriving home, with antioxidants, multivitamins and healthy food.
  • Take 100-200mg Sunday depending upon how you feel, with more vitamins.
The reason I suggest taking the 5-HTP prior to going to bed is twofold - first, taking 5-HTP during the day on an empty stomach can cause nausea for some, and second, I believe the brain makes neurotransmitters more efficiently while you're asleep.
BigTrancer :)

I was under the impression that 5htp taken during a pill can cause serotonin syndrome, as as such is discouraged?? That's why the best time to post-load is a few hours after the peak so as to avoid the flooding of the brain with too much serotonin?
I tried a search and read the FAQs but nada... anyone?
I'm going on a drug-addled memory here...

Another thing that must be remembered is the human brain will never be as simple as just taking some 5-HTP.
We really dont know for sure what causes tolerance to MDMA; or at least why tolerance to MDMA is extreme when compared with amphetamine.
If it was just serotonin levels which had to be considered then 5-HTP should prevent MDMA tolerance correct?
Assuming 5-HTP is an excellent tool for restoring serotonin quickly (and I think it is) why then does multiple pills still have minor effects despite 5-HTP use. U get body effects, raised temperature and side effects such as jaw clenching but the empathetic magic is nowhere to be found.
The answer i think is because the causes of tolerance are much more complex than we would like them to be.
Serotonin receptors surely play a part among possibly several other factors.

^^^^
Yes, serotonin receptors are all around inside the brain, not in a localised area, so the effects of MDMA can also be very subtle. 5-HTP may prevent damage from the depletion of serotonin and antioxidants may prevent neurotoxicity, but what if there are also reactions that are caused by MDMA that are so small and so subtle that they are so far as undetected.
This isn't just scare mongering, look at (my favourite) LSD. A microgram dose has huge effects on the brain, causing hallucinations for up to 12 hours. The same reasoning can be applied to MDMA. There may be a reaction in the brain's complex chemistry that causes a few micrograms of a heavily brain altering compund to be created, and this could also cause some permanent damage.
This is why you should treat any chemical that you come into contact with extreme respect and caution. MDMA can improve your quality of life, and it could make you a better person for the rest of your days, but it could also seriously damage your health.
Gingerly, gingerly, tread softly.

I've always found that taking 5htp during the peak is good, and it unlikely to cause serotonin syndrome at reasonable (100-300 mg) doses.

I can actually feel the 5-HTP kick in when I take 200mg. It takes about 50-90min. You get a bit sick in the stomach and you can feel it in your brain, you're mood changes and you feel like you're coming up. I swear by the stuff.

There's a link at the top of the main forum page for the Australia/Asia/NZ/Middle East Drug Discussion Forum:
*** EVERYONE READ - Info, Posting Guidelines and mini-FAQ ***
Please check there first in your search for information as your question may already be answered...
10a. What is 5-HTP?
The acronym 5-HTP indicates 5-hydroxytryptophan, a naturally occurring chemical that is used by your brain to make 5-HT, otherwise known as 5-hydroxytryptamine, or serotonin. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that your brain uses to make you feel happy. When you ingest MDMA, your brain uses up its reserves of serotonin during the experience, which can leave you feeling depressed, or unable to feel happy for several (4-8 days) afterward. By taking 5-HTP supplements, you allow your brain to recover faster from the depletion of serotonin, which should allow you to get back to normal mood fluctuations and sleeping patterns faster.
5-HTP can be found in many foods such as bananas and turkey meat, for example.
More information about using 5-HTP to recover from the use of MDMA can be found in the Australia/Asia/NZ/Middle East Drug Discussion Forum FAQ.
10b. Where can I get 5-HTP?
Unfortunately, 5-HTP is not available in Australia. However, it can be legally imported for personal use. Officially as of the January 2002, the Therapeutic Goods Administration in Australia says that it is permitted to personally import up to 3 months' supply at any one time, and up to 15 months' supply in any 12-month period.
5-HTP is sold from a number of online health stores; these are easy to find simply by searching the internet. For convenience and delivery speed, a vendor closer to Australia is probably quicker, but shopping around will get you a better price. Typical costs for 5-HTP are of the order of AUD$60 for a bottle of 100 capsules, each containing extract of griffonia simplicifolia equivalent to 100mg of 5-HTP. There is no specific Recommended Daily Intake for 5-HTP, so what constitutes 3-months' supply is a little debatable. Many online vendors require credit card payment.

I remember a while ago when green fish were here, i took 2 5-htp caps about 30 mins before dropping ½ (half) a pill.
It didnt give me any sickness (seratonin syndrome) whatsoever, but i found that my roll was much more melow, not as rushy... and VERY VERY long lasting.
I sat infront of a bl'er sleeping, and was told that almost 5 hours later i hadn't moved from that spot with my eyes barely opened.
I have had 5-htp before other pill times, but havn't had nearly the same experience.
But thats because I havn't been in the same situation as the first.
If u break before u take, and pre-load well, all u need is ½ of a nice pill, and u will also have better chances of having the same roll effects for the next week end.
simple theory to me...
take 1/2 now, take 1/2 next week...
take 2 now, u will need 2 next week,
and so on and so forth.

Just a note - even if you are getting THE SHIT week in, week out, having a half and hoping to have a beneficial E experience in my opinion is hopeful.
1/2 doesn't do it for everyone. a 5 foot, 40 kilo girl, perhaps yes, but anyone bigger than this probably will need more than a half. Think about 120kg 6'5 males.
Some people need 2 this week, 2 next week.
Hmmm, i might have to drop some 5htp next time i partake of the pills. I always thought that was really bad for you, hence why in all this time i've never done it. Hmmm, if i die of serotonin syndrome, i'll post up a negative user report for your comments.

Originally posted by CuPiD^^:
I remember a while ago when green fish were here, i took 2 5-htp caps about 30 mins before dropping ½ (half) a pill.
It didnt give me any sickness (seratonin syndrome) whatsoever,

The sick feeling you get from 5htp is not serotonin syndrome!

SupaSpeeD: I'm a male approx 100kg, and I find that a half of an average garden variety purple/black tested MDxx-based pill will usually give me a lovely roll. But, it could also be about what you look for in a peak - socially I prefer the subtler effects of MDMA over turning into an eye-wiggling, jaw-chattering gurn-machine. In private, it's another story hehe.

I just read the FAQ and it said you cant get
5-HTP in australia if thats true what do you guys take instead.I eat bannanas as much as i can but i want something else that can help me a bit more.