Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

GHB and bodybuilding

D&AWg

Bluelighter
Not so long ago, before GHB became an illicit party drug, it was actually sold in health food stores as a supplement for bodybuilders.
I was just wondering, is anybody out there still using GHB in their gym routine today? If so, how?
I would assume that very tiny doses would be used, not enough to give an intoxicating effect, but that's just an assumption. What sort of doses *are* used? Before or after working out? Continually or in short stacking bursts? With particular kinds of exercises?
What sort of effects would this have, and how soon would it be noticeable?
Finally, are there any dangers or negative effects when used like this? And what sort of harm minimisation techniques should be applied?
Your feedback welcomed!
:) :)

AFAIK GHB was used by body builders because it stimualted the release of human growth hormone. The problem is that no one has been able to prove a corresponding increase in muscle tone.
GHB is extremely popular with bodybuilders for a variety of reasons. Some feel the GH releasing effect contributes to increased energy and to a leaner more "ripped" look from training. Other athletes use GHB to induce and improve the quality of sleep. This proven effect of GHB may aid in the recovery process. Other athletes use GHB as a diuretic. A number of athletes use GHB simply to tranquillise themselves. Often, a very euphoric sensation occurs after taking GHB which is attributable to an increase in brain dopamine levels. One expert has theorized that GHB exhibits its most beneficial effect on bodybuilders by reducing the body's endogenous cortisol levels. In this respect, GHB may be exhibiting its actions through an anti-catabolic mode.
Before it was removed from the over-the-counter market, supplement distributors advertised the ability of GHB to increase natural growth hormone secretion. These claims were based on a 1977 study by the Third Department of Internal Medicine, Okayama University School of Medicine, Okayama Japan. In this study, it was discovered that GHB has a significant effect on pituitary hormones, specifically growth hormone (GH) and prolactin. In this trial, a dose of 2.5 grams of GHB was administered to a sample of healthy male subjects prior to sleep. What they observed were significant increases in plasma GH over a period of 90 minutes. These plasma GH levels reached peaks of nearly 40 mg/ml. This lead researchers to conclude that the supplementation of GHB stimulates the secretion of GH by the pituitary gland in healthy human subjects.
GHB may cause a release in GH by modifying the amount of serotonin available from the nerve terminals. Others believe that GHB blocks the release of dopamine from nerve endings thus increasing the dopamine concentration of the brain. Others feels that a serotoninergic mechanism is responsible.
OK normally I reference anything I post, but it seems that the site I took this from is on our banned list, probably because it's supplier of the substance in question. I'm not sure I can be arsed finding another, less controversial source, especially one that summizes this so well.
[ 05 July 2002: Message edited by: johnboy ]

i was under the believe it is used as it promotes muscle growth and muscle repair. isnt that how muscles grow? being ripped and repaired?

good'un JB!
unfortunately, i believe (sorry no links) there were later studies that determined that a rise in GH levels was accompanied by a corresponding rise in lactic acid levels, which effectively negated about 90% of the GH's growth promotant and tissue restorative fx.
plus, i hear it's a bummer to drop a dumbell on your foot when g-lifting ;)

Lactic acid levels should be able to be lowered with usage of creatine, usually available in the form of creatine monohydrate powder, available at health food stores.
Plus, creatine is something that most bodybuilders would use anyway.
[ 05 July 2002: Message edited by: Jakoz ]

what applies to GHB above, does it also apply to 1,4b?
could bodybuilders also use 1,4b as a bodybuilding supplement?

AFAIK 1,4 is converted by the body into GHB so yes, theoretically. But keep in mind that there has been exactly no proof that there is any real benefit to body builders who use GHB. Even the most optimistic supplier sits refer to these "benefits" as "reported by some users" and "still debatable".
[ 07 July 2002: Message edited by: johnboy ]

Thanks for the info johnboy.
Many manufacturers of vitamins and supplements state that their product "may" be of benefit. In the case of GHB I'm guessing that there hasn't been any clinical research into its bodybuilding benefits, other than the study you mention?
You'd think that if there *were* benefits there'd be anecodotal evidence at least from people who believe it has helped them achieve results, which is why I'd be interested to hear if any bodybuilders out there are using GHB in their routines.
And if there aren't any bodybuilding benefits, I guess a lot of gullible bodybuilders were taken for a ride by the manufacturers while it was still legal!

From the Simpsons' episode "Marge in Chains:"
An angry crowd has gathered outside the Hibbert Medical Clinic...
Crowd: We need a cure! We need a cure!
Hibbert: Ho ho ho. Why, the only cure is bedrest.
Anything I give you would be a placebo.
Woman: [frantic] Where can we get these placebos?
The crowd overturn a truck in search of placebos, but alas the only thing inside is a crate of killer bees.
The Simpsons Archive.

Ummm not sure if i can ask this.
Not acutally asking for a source.
What may be illegal in Australia may not be illegal here!
But, does anyone know what names GHB was sold under as a bodybuilding supplement?
I'm NOT thinking of ordering from overseas.
I live overseas now, and they have lots of bodybuilding shops here. Its not USA so i'm not sure if its banned here yet.
Or, if i was to go into as bodybuilding shop to enquire.
Would i ask something along the lines of
"do you have a aides musles growth or to increase natural growth hormone secretion?"
Thanks.. and if i cant ask these questions, let me know!

GloryGlamour: All you have to do is search the web using Google or some other similar search engine for the terms "GHB" or "Gammahydroxybutyrate" or similar and you'll find hundreds of brand names for GHB/GBL and similar products. I don't think we need to push the edges of the grey area by stating specific products which may or may not be linked to internet vendors. Many of the sites that offer products of "questionable" legality are, in fact, scams which try to lure you into handing over money or credit card details in the hope of receiving "pure, real GHB" or whatever.
NONE of these are legal in Australia (I'm almost certain of this) and therefore attempting to import some here is fraught with risks. I'm not certain though, there may be some tiny loopholes with analogues or package labelling that could get something through, but you'll have to search the legal docs yourself.
Many of the old GHB products had names such as "Renewtrient" (which, if you search Australia/Asia/NZ/Middle East Drug Discussion Archives will show up a few times as a brand name in connection with GHB, as it was legal back then), and other permutation of the words 'renew' and 'vitalise'. These will almost certainly be siezed and destroyed by customs these days, if you're lucky, and/or be accompanied by a visit from law enforcement, if you're not.
Sadly, the illegalisation of GHB and analogues has forced a chemical which has significant health benefits underground. It used to be possible to buy quality assured, known dosage GHB products, but this is not so any longer. Therefore the illegalisation has created a black market where, as usual, quality assurance and product purity are heavily compromised at every level. The low safety margin of GHB and similar chemicals, and their associated risks when mixing with other depressants, makes these chemicals particularly dangerous when encountered in variable concentrations.
BigTrancer :)

For a good article linking GHB to bodybuilding, check out:
http://www.avantlabs.com/ghb_chemically_correct.htm
this article is biased towards the positive effects of GHB, so make sure to look at the negatives as well (maybe check out erowid or http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic848.htm for some negatives)
i am also very interested to see if this does work, and if the same holds true for 1-4b. i may try 1-4b for a week and see how it goes - but i need to get an accurate idea of dosage (i still have to be functional at work - can't be walking around all giddy trying to screw everything in sight...)

Bodybuilders use GHB for anxiety and as a form of sleeping aid. These 2 problems occur from steriod use :)