Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

DMT extraction from various acacia's ?

Sniff

Bluelighter
Hi all, I posted this in other drugs, but was told it might get a better response here...
I have been developing an interest in DMT lately after reading up on it. I already know that it occurs in Acacia Maidennii, but that particular species is not found anywhere near where I live.
I have found the following list of other acacia species that reportedly contain tryptamines, and I thought I would ask if anyone has experience/success extracting DMT from any of these ?
BTW if anyone else is interested in experimenting with extractions, please do some more research before trying any of these. I have heard that some acacias might be poisonous - don't know which ones though (yet)
The List
--------
Acacia confusa
Formosa Acacia
Contains tryptamines
Acacia floribunda
White Sally Wattle
Spring flowering wattle - early bee food. Tested positive for tryptamines.
Acacia longifolia
Sydney Golden Wattle
Australian icon with masses of early golden flowers. Tested positive for tryptamines.
Acacia maidenii
Maiden's Wattle
Very pale, early spring flowers. High tryptamine content.
Acacia nilotica
Tested positive for tryptamines in leaf.
Acacia obtusifolia
Stiff Leaf Wattle
Tested positive for high tryptamine content.
Acacia sieberiana
Tested positive for tryptamines in the leaves.
Acacia sophorae
Coast Wattle
Tested positive for tryptamines.
Acacia victoriae
Bramble Wattle
Tested positive for tryptamines.

Sorry, not any info, but I don't wanna see this good question go unanswered, whoever knows or has experience, please share :)

I have a paper on the phytochemistry of acacias somewhere, but I just can’t find it.
Some varieties of acacia contain a mixture of tryptamines, including the nasty 5-OH-DMT or bufotenine, which is often associated with cane toad poisonings. If you are thinking of taking DMT or related tryptamines orally with a mono amine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI's) BE VERY CAREFUL.
Read up well on the properties and dangers of MAOI’s
Most sites recommend against this for beginners. I certainly wouldn’t encourage it as MAOIs are potentially life threatening.
My advice if you want to, but have not yet tried DMT, is to sit in on a couple of sessions first as an observer. This way you will have more of an idea what to expect (and you may change your mind!) If you still decide to do it, have an experienced person with you - preferably straight.
These sites will explain extraction procedures
extraction guide
another extraction guide
This will give a pretty good indication of the plants containing DMT. Be aware, beta-carbolines are MAOIs,
Plants containing tryptamines
I have not extracted any tryptamine alkaloids as they are illegal and I don’t do any prohibited or unauthorised chemistry, but I have heard of several people being successful with various acacia species and polaris grass (harder).
If you know the unmentionable site from those who make honey, you will find all you need if you register and use the search engine. Note if you don't register and log in you get far less access.

This is not directly related to acacias, but i have atually had datura - which is a plant found to have hallucinagenic properties. I dont know what area you are from, but this is found widely spread in all states. My friend has it in her backyard.
We boiled the leaves to extraxt the properties, and it did work. Just thought yo umight like to widen your knowledge of plants with "drug" properties, and you might be able to get your hands on some of this.
You might want to do some more research on this to perhaps find out what it looks like so if you come across any..............

Please be really careful with datura. I have personal horror stories with this substance.

Datura contains scopolamine, an analog of atropine which is a powerful muscarinic receptor antagonist [thanks babydoc]. Higher doses have been known to cause death, and lower doses blindness.

The biggest problem with datura, besides its unwanted properties, is establishing the right dose. At different times of the year there are different levels of alkaloids in the trees. The flowers contain the most scopolamine, and should be the only part used, as the leaves contain other more poisonous things. (although its best not to use it at all)

Another problem is that there are different species, some with really high levels of the active alkaloids. I once thought there were only white, pink and yellow flower varieties, (yellow being the most potent) but someone told me there are several subspecies of white. I've not checked the literature on this.
The first time I had datura, it was a weak boil-up of white flowers. I was cautious and had a small amount. Others were greedy and paid the price. It was somewhat scary but at the time not realising the dangers it seemed more humorous.

The next time we had less than 10mls each of the yellow extract. I couldn't tell whether it was day or night. I would just appear places, but had no idea how I got there or what could have happened in between. I went into the wrong caravan at the park, and thinking it was ours, lay on the bed in front of the people and didn't even notice them. Another one of the crew, a normally quite easy going guy, chased a family around a picnic table with a knife. He'd never met them before and couldn't remember anything of the incident later. A third mate almost totally lost his sight and the rest of us suffered poor eyesight for weeks after (couldn't read a paper for 3 days)

Another time I acted as co-pilot (I only touched it twice myself-Edit: err...3 times actually, but as I hardly felt the second time it probably doesn't count as an experience) I walked into a house where two guys were coming up. They were really out of it so I accompanied one guy to the shop. That was bad enough on its own. When we returned the other guy had completely smashed every wall in the house. He said he got paranoid and stashed his plant in the wall by bashing a hole in it. He then forgot where it was and figured the wall had healed up, so he smashed them all until he found it.

On a later bent the other guy went up into his ceiling and fell through. I found him hours later on his lounge room floor with a fractured jaw and a busted knee, oh and coffee table.

If you're not deterred yet, how about the 5 people in Christchurch around the early 80's, who got locked in a room while on datura and literally tore each other to peices!

Datura in my opinion is a poison which causes hallucinations. That's all - avoid it, there’s little other harm minimisation advise to offer for this one.

Last edited:
wow! i never knew that it caused so much problems! I have a book at home which mentions datura - and from that i got he feeling it wasnt that dangerous. I suppose first hand experience is the best information.
I must say i was quite young and stupid when we took this and obviously from what you say about your experiences,we didnt have too much.
I don't think i will ever trry this again - sounds lik eit makes oyu into a murderer

I once looked after a guy in his early 20's who had a drug induced psychosis after taking datura with his friends. This guy had no history of mental illness. His friends dumped him at the emergency department when he lost the plot. He was hallucinating and highly agitated, so they medicated him with a drug called droperidol, not knowing he had had datura. Droperidol, has some anticholinergic effects, while datura is a potent anticholinergic, thus the combination could have killed him. Anyhow, he ended up sedated in the psych ward overnight, and woke up the next morning completely recovered with no idea how he had got there. His friend phoned anonymously that morning to say they'd taken datura, but in the circumstances it could have been way to late to be useful.
The lesson here is be very careful with datura, and if someone loses the plot and you seek medical care, at least have the decency to tell the clinicians what they have taken. See Toxicity, Anticholinergic for more on that topic.

phase_dancer: Thanks for the info ! That helped quite a bit. And I will keep your suggestions in mind too.
As for datura, I know enough about that stuff to know I'm not really interested in it. Hallucinations are one thing, delusions another !

A person I know has successfully brewed up Ayahuasca previously - but when he tried using some locally available materials (Acacia Maidenii bark) there were unfortunately no effects. After reading the Mulga Country Website he has decided that the next attempt will be with Acacia Obtusifolia (Though Phlebophylla sounds the best of them all, but is much more difficult to get). I would also be interested to hear any successful Acacia stories - either extraction or Ayahuasca brewing.
The best bet is still Mimosa Hostilis root bark - not an Aussie native but available over the 'net

Perhaps it is possible to synthesise DMT from bufotenine? i dont see why not... and with such a huge amount of toads i have access to! should be interesting to looksy if there is a method of doing it!
now we all know the reason for those stories (maybe they arent stories even) people boil up canetoads!
Andromeda :)

synthesising DMT from bufotenine.. hah i dont' think so unless you are a wizz chemist.
And people boiling up cane toads.. i doubt that was a story. The get bufotenine froma toad i think it easiest to let it secrete its poison and you can easily scrape this off without harming the toad. After you have scraped it off you allow it to dry and it will become a tar like substance which you then smoke.. and then you get hammered

Smoking DMT from organic sources.. you can always buy seeds from the net to grow your own phalaris or whatever tryptamine containing plant you wish. The easiest way to do it is to produce the extract and soak oregano or any smokable material in tyhe extract and allow it to dry.. then try smoking that shit.

What are the red wattles called? And since it's popular I doubt it contains any DMT?

Sniff.... Your list looks like entries from
*... correct?
[ 19 July 2002: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]

^^^
correct ;)
Apparently Acacia Longifolia (also called sydney golden or coastal wattle) has around 0.2% DMT in its bark, which isn't very much, but it is very commonly domesticated.