Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drug Schedules in Aussie

mayday

Bluelighter
I dont know how to quote from other threads, so I am simply copying and pasting, if someone cares to show me, Ill do it that way in future.
Here's a quick excerpt from the Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Act 1981 (Vic) - s.12A The Poisons List:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TABLE Schedule No.
1. Poisons of plant, animal or mineral origin that in the public interest should be available only from a person registered under the Chinese Medicine Registration Act 2000 or authorised under another Act.
2. Poisons for therapeutic use that should be available to the public only from pharmacies; or where there is no pharmacy service available, from persons licensed to sell or supply Schedule 2 poisons.
3. Poisons for therapeutic use that are dangerous or are so liable to abuse as to warrant their availability to the public being restricted to supply by pharmacists or registered medical practitioners, dentists or veterinary surgeons.
4. Poisons that should, in the public interest, be restricted to medical, dental or veterinary prescription or supply, together with substances or preparations intended for therapeutic use, the safety or efficacy of which requires further evaluation.
5. Poisons of a hazardous nature that must be readily available to the public but require caution in handling, storage and use.
6. Poisons that must be available to the public but are of a more hazardous or poisonous nature than those classified in Schedule 5.
7. Poisons which require special precautions in manufacture, handling, storage or use, or special individual regulations regarding labelling or availability.
8. Poisons to which the restrictions recommended for drugs of dependence by the 1980 Australian Royal Commission of Inquiry into Drugs should apply.
9. Poisons which are drugs of abuse, the manufacture, possession, sale or use of which
should be prohibited by law except for amounts which may be necessary for medical or scientific research conducted with the approval of the Secretary.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
maybe I got it right.. anyway :)
So under the aussie system, Drugs such as MDMA, Ampetamine, heroin etc (as far as legal eyes view them, not in terms of levels of danger) are all schedule 9 (rather than 8, as there are studies done on many illicits) and drugs which have some legitimate medical use, such as ketamine or morphine (morphine was my lifesaver after my accident last year) would be schedule 4, and prescription drugs such as antibitotics, would be schedule 3? Your panadols and disprins are schedule 2 I would suppose...

Most prescription drugs are schedule 4, with the exception of those in scedule 8. So antibiotics, most benzo's (except flunitrazepam), some painkillers and a bunch of other stuff are s.4. Ketamine is s.4.
Scedule 8 drugs include opiate painkillers (with the exception of Panadeine Forte, although bizarrely plain codeine 30mg tablets are s. 8 ) , stuff like Ritalin and dexamphetamine and flunitrazepam (Rohypnol - this brand has been taken off the markt in Aus though AFAIK). These are the drugs that have strict controls on their prescription and supply. S.8's are often called DD's - Drugs of Dependence.
AFAIK other drugs that aren't in s.8 ie: illicits like MDMA, are then s.9 under this act.
Schedule 3 is stuff like Fiorinal, where you can buy it OTC but the pharmacist has to advise you on it's use before suppplying it.
Schedule 2 is most other OTC chemist stuff like Nurofen, Panadeine Panadol etc.
[ 24 June 2002: Message edited by: babydoc_vic ]

Thanks for the clarifiation Babydoc...
But one more thing, is this a subjective topic, or is there a defined list, with scope for new additions..
ie, if one person thinks you have a substance which is controlled under one schedule, but someone else thinks it may be a different schedule what happens then? A definitive list would stop this from happening...

So, marijuana is (wrongly) in Schedule 9.
Are you allowed to grow a plant for medicinal use at all. I mean, would the "the Secretary" ever approve such a thing? Even to an AIDS/cancer patient, would they still reject you ?

Splatt: Check the wording carefully:
...the manufacture, possession, sale or use of which should be prohibited by law except for amounts which may be necessary for medical or scientific research conducted with the approval of the Secretary.
i.e.: The drugs in Schedule 9 are illegal in any quantity except that which could be used in medical or scientific research (usually minute amounts, far below recreational doses), and the research must be conducted with the approval of the government. There is no provision there for 'medical use' of marijuana, only exemption from prohibition in research quantities for approved projects.
BigTrancer :)

Shouldn't this be in legal?
and in the ketamine thread from which this was taken, I think Supaspeed said that coke, lsd and H were in schedule 1. Is that right?

The reason I posted here and not in the legal section is because more aussies would see it here, and most of the people in the legal section talk about US laws...
Yes, it is still not a criminal offence to grow weed in SA... Only 3 plants now... And I dont even smoke :)

it is still not a criminal offence to grow weed in SA... Only 3 plants now
It used to be ten. They were thinking about reducing the number to one, I don't know how far it went though.
I think Vic also allows for up to 3 plants before it's deemed a criminal quantity.

Far as I'm aware you can't legally grow any amount of plants in Vic...
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

I believe the following covers all states except for SA (then again Federal legislation overrides State legislation so technically if someone from SA was tried in a federal court they'd face the same fines as everyone else).
It seems you can grow here, if caught you'll most likley be fined unless the court finds that your growing was infact traffiking as well. Large quantities it seems will almost always be looked upon badly.
Drugs, both legal and illegal, can be responsible for a great many problems to individuals and society, including physical illness, dependency and psychological problems, social disruption, violence, family breakdown, economic loss, accidents and death.
In Australia, there were an estimated 22,700 drug-related deaths in 1997. Of these, 18,200 were due to tobacco, 3,700 attributed to alcohol and 800 to illegal drugs.
Source: AIHW, 1999. Media release: Drug use in Australia and its health impact. 31 March 1999. www.aihw.gov.au. Canberra
There are some problems that are caused purely by the fact that a drug is illegal.
Many people have been imprisoned (even executed in some other countries) for dealing in or using illegal drugs. For many the stigma of a criminal record continues to burden them long after their drug use has stopped.
Restricting the supply of an illegal drug can make the drug more expensive. Many users of heroin are forced into criminal activities, such as theft and prostitution, in order to obtain sufficient money to support their drug use.
Because some drugs are illegal, they are not subject to any form of quality control. Drugs bought on the street are of unknown strength, which increases the risk of accidental overdose. While there is always a chance of overdose, this can be of particular risk to the one-off, inexperienced or occasional user. Street drugs can contain other unwanted or dangerous chemicals causing illness or death.
Drug laws
The Federal Customs Act covers the importing of drugs, while each state has laws governing the manufacture, possession, distribution and use of drugs, both legal and illegal. Drug laws in Australia distinguish between those who use drugs and those who supply or traffic drugs. Victoria Police recently introduced a cannabis cautionary scheme for those caught using cannabis for the first time. Under this scheme first-time offenders are formally cautioned by police then referred to a drug treatment centre. Police have also begun trialling a cautionary scheme for heroin and other illicit drugs.
The Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Act (DPCSA) includes these major drug offences: use, possession, cultivation, and trafficking:
Use includes smoking, inhaling of fumes, or otherwise introducing a drug of dependence, into a person's body (including another person's body). (A drug is defined as a "drug of dependence" if listed as illegal except under prescribed conditions.) Generally there is a lesser penalty for the use of cannabis compared to other drugs.
Possession is the most common offence. Possession means having control or custody of a drug. Knowledge of such possession must be proven in court. Possession applies both to drugs found on the person or their property, unless it is proven the drugs do not belong to that person. In Victoria, those found in possession of a small quantity of cannabis (50g or less) for the first time are cautioned formally then referred to a drug treatment centre. The penalty for the possession of any drugs not related to trafficking is $3000, or one year imprisonment, or both.
Cultivation is the act of sowing, planting, growing, tending, nurturing or harvesting a narcotic plant. Any of these activities constitutes the offence of cultivation. If a person cultivates 'a trafficable quantity', or intends to sell even a small quantity, it is likely that charges for possession, cultivation and trafficking will be laid.
In Victoria if the court is satisfied that the cultivation is not related to trafficking, then the penalty is a fine not more than $2,000 and/or imprisonment not longer than one year. If the cultivation is related to trafficking, the penalty is a maximum of 15 years imprisonment, or $100,000 fine, or both.

I'm not 100% percent on this, But I'm sure this has been updated since 1999?...

babydoc_vic, regarding plain codeine phosphate, abuse potentional is obviously what they are taking into consideration. That is, because it doesn't have paracetamol in it there is more potential. Not everyone can be bothered or knows how to extract what they want and it is easier and safer for injecting if there is no paracetemol in it in the first place.
Codeine linctus (25mg/5ml) is only S4 though, so If you aren't injecting and don't care about the taste, then this will do the job. Presumably its S4 rating is due to the form it is in.
I found a bottle of Fortral at a friends place which said it was S8. Sounded interesting so I looked it up. Apparently it is only S4 in NSW. I've also noticed some bulk packs of OTC Paracetemol/Codeine combinations are S2 in NSW and S3 everywhere else. Is there any particular reason for this, or just because?
[ 25 June 2002: Message edited by: SeveredPsyche ]

there is a book out on the market that lists every drug its schedule and all the legal mumbo jumbo. ie how much is trafficking and what you are looking at if you get caught for every state in australia. give me a day or two and i'll get it all up here. :)

^^^ The Australian Illicit Drug Users Guide, by Andrew Campbell? If so then it rocks, everyone should have a copy.

Severe Psych.......... some drugs can be in all different schedules, depending on the amount of drug in the preparation, what other actives are in the preparation and what the quantity of tablets......
Codeine for example is an S8 drug....... when its just codeine phosphate tablets 30mg or Codeine phos. Injection 50/mg per ml.
Codeine Linctus is S4 - the quantity of codeine is only 5mg/ml and is by prescription only as it is a very effective antitussive (cough suppresant) but does have abuse potential.
Codeine in preperations with more than 15mg of codeine per tablet and is with at least one other active ingredient - say paracetemol - it is classified S4
Preps. containing codeine with less than 15mg, but more than 10mg, with another active, again say Ibuprofen or Paracetamol are classified S3 in packets of 20 tablets
Preps containing less than 10mg of codeine and another active, in quantities less than 25 tablets are classified S2, if they are in quantities higher than 25 tablets, pack 50's and 100's they are put in S3 category.
Other drugs which fit into various categorys include, paracetomol, ibuprofen, naprosyn, diclofenac - mainly NSAIA's and other analgesics.

Shouldn't this be in legal?
and in the ketamine thread from which this was taken, I think Supaspeed said that coke, lsd and H were in schedule 1. Is that right?
read the K thread again. QLD - schedule 1, Victoria has different laws and schedules.
If you want to see QLD legislation (Drugs Misuse Act is the relevent legisaltion) go here:
http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/OQPChome.htm
click on legislation, click on D, go to Drugs Misuse Act. In QLD there are only 2 schedules for the "common" street drugs.
Again, i state - i was talking about QLD, others talking about Victoria, laws are not the same.

Thanks for the detailed response RR...still a couple of questions. A 100ml bottle of codeine linctus would have 500mg of codeine...this is enough for me in tablet form, though I have never tried the syrup. Is there any reason why this has less abuse potential orally? Is it absorbed more slowly?
The other part of the question is the discrepancy between states (slightly less strict (?) in NSW in this case). In particular Fortral and codeine/paracetemol. This site lists 48 and 96 packs as being S2 in NSW and S3 everywere else.

Yes, it is still not a criminal offence to grow weed in SA... Only 3 plants now... And I dont even smoke
Technically decriminalisation does not mean it isn't a criminal offence, otherwise you wouldn't get an on the spot fine and they wouldn't take your plants away if you get busted.
And the 3 plant rule could have changed already. If anyone was planning on growing a plant or two in adelaide these days I would suggest checking up on the latest laws, since they were going to make it a maximum of 1 outdoor plant only (no hydro!), and this change could have already gone through(?)