Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Mugwort: any info?

Andromeda

Bluelighter
I have recently experienced the beautifully relaxing and dream inducing qualities of mugwort, and questions are abounding!
is there any way i can ingest mugwort, without it tasting like utter crap? Ive tried mugwort tea, which even when sweetend beyond belief still made me want to vomit, and mugwort as spin for joints, which made the joint hard to smoke and also tasted like shit (not that nice smooth jointy taste!) has anyone tried any other methods which are more pleasant?
also, are there any other herbs i can combine mugwort with to enhance its dream effects? The dreams i get from mugwort are so vivid and colourful, and i dont often dream which makes it special.
I know mugwort is not a drug per se, but i thought i might find some better answers here! sorry if its in the wrong area! :) :)
Andromeda :)

hey Andromeda,
Mugwort is awesome!
Hmm...not too sure about other ways to ingest it tho...i've made massage oil from the dried leaves, and also burn the oil in an oilburner...the effects are a little more subtle. You can also bundle the dried leaves and use them as a smudging stick, which is great.
Although i've not tried this it sounds awesome:
Dream Pillow
8 parts dried mugwort leaves
4parts dried rose petals
4 parts dried mint leaves
1 part whole cloves
Combine all ingredients and tie into a cloth bundle or use to stuff a small pillow or sachet. Place the dream pillow where you can smell it while you sleep. This is said to promote vivid dreams and clear recall.
As a point of interest, mugwort is almost identical in properties to wormwood, which is the active ingredient in Absinthe (absinthe is the french word for wormwood.) The active chemical compound in both wormwood and mugwort (along with a few other herbs) is thujone which has similar properties to THC. Dalmation sage oil and cedar leaf oil are stated as containing the highest concentration of thujone.
This came from Gernot Katzer's spice dictionary about the main constituents of Mugwort :
The essential oil (0.03 to 0.3%) contains a wealth of different terpenes and terpene derivatives, e.g., 1,8 cineol, camphor, linalool, thujone, 4-terpineole, borneol, alpha-cardinol and further mono- and sesquiterpenes. Quantitative and qualitative composition varies strongly with soil, climate, fertilizing and harvest time.
Thujon, one of the oil's main constituents, is a monoterpenoid ketone also appearing in sage; it is commonly hold responsible for the toxicity of absinthe (see southernwood).
The url to the dictionary is here
Suffice to say that if you want a truly mind-blowing experience, smoking mugwort with wormwood or sage would be the go. There are quite a few warnings about thujone, it can be addicitive and people SHOULD NOT ingest herbs with thujone if they think they may be or are pregnant.
Happy hunting!!! :)
[ 19 June 2002: Message edited by: samadhi ]

Here's another recipe for a 'Dream Tea' that I found online. I've included it wholly to preserve the integrity of the quote, however I'm sure that you can dispense with the chanting shit if you just want to drink mugwort without turning into a toad.
The recipe actually came from "Everyday Magic, by Dorothy Morrison"
Here's the recipe for prophetic dream tea.
1 tsp chamomile
2 tsp rose petals
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp peppermint
1 tsp mugwort
WARNING: EXCESSIVE USE OF MUGWORT COULD BE POISONOUS!!
DRINK AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Mix the ingredients well. Use one tsp of tea for every cup of boiling water. As the tea steeps, chant:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tea of vision, dreaming tea,
As I sip you, bring to me
An altered state conductive to
Psychic dreams. And when I'm through,
Rock me gently into sleep
And bring the answers that I need.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sweeten with honey, if desired. Drink the tea thirty minutes before going to bed. Store the tea in a plastic bag with a zipper closure or in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.
I haven't tried it but the ingredients seem to promise interesting nights (thujone is also the active ingredient in absinthe, which contains wormwood). You may want to burn the herbs as incense (on a charcoal disc or in a smudge pot) rather than actually drinking them.
BigTrancer :)

The tea sounds lovely, and the mix of chamomile, rose petals, cinnamon and peppermint would possibly help to *partially* mask that oh so yummy flavour of mugwort...hehe. Adding honey to it as well would sweeten it further....
Another herb i thought of that would add an interesting slant on the experience may be damiana??? There is a little controversy surrounding damiana, some saying that there are no active ingredients in the plant. I've smoked it by itself and i found myself quite relaxed. Not really stoned, persay, but definitely off baseline...but then again, that could have been mind over matter....i don't know...people i were with felt similar effects.
[ 19 June 2002: Message edited by: samadhi ]

Thanx Samadhi! Damiana sounds like a nice mix, would put me straight into the sleepy dreamworld! Ive tried the dreampillow mix but it didnt really work too well for me :( I'll give the mugwort and sage a go, it sounds like it could be an interesting experience! :)
BT, That tea sounds like it could be a much better tasting alternative to the icky brew i have had of late! a while ago i accidentally found out that inhaling chamomile steam (like when you inhale vicks steam when you have the flu) can lead to quite nice dreams! (and very nice clean soft skin! teehee! ;) ) I'll definietly give this tea a try!
Andromeda :)

The Artemisias or wormwoods, of which both mugwort and absinth belong, have a colourful history associated with their use. The genus covers over 180 species.

Artemisia Vulgaris (mugwort) grows along my front fence. In fact it is my front fence in places, as it pleases itself where and how it grows. Mugwort grows well from cuttings placed in sandy soil. I did try the herb a few times; smoking, tea etc. and found it has the mentioned properties of enhancing dreams, but as usual I have to give out a couple of cautions.

The warning regarding pregnancy is particularly relevant, as mugwort has been known to cause miscarriage through violent contractions of the uterus; prolapsus and rupture of the uterus, metrorrhagia, and increase lochial discharge. It is also reported to cause an increase in epileptic spasms, irritation of the nervous system, profuse sweat; and causing the person to have a fetid, cardaverous odor resembling garlic!

That being said there are some interesting facts about wormwoods as recorded in herbal literature.

Some writings state mugwort was valued as a treatment for epilepsy, palsy, and hysteria (considered so also by Parkinson) it proving successful when all other treatments failed. It was also claimed to be excellent for preventing/curing fever. Leaves used in baths were also said to be invigorating.

Perhaps vapour inhalation, as mentioned by Andromeda may be an palatable alternative way to administer.
According to the ancients, wormwood counteracted poisoning effects of hemlock, toadstool, and the biting of the sea dragon [?] It was used as a Tonic, a treatment for falling sickness and to relieve flatulence. Many of the other wormwoods appear also to have been valued medicinally. Culpepper writes of the three common species “…Each has its particular virtue”

PREPARATIONS
Culpepper states: “…leaves and flowers are used fresh as a very slight infusion. The oil of the seed can be prepared in lard to remedy tonsillitis, and mugwort and vinegar is an antidote for the mischief of mushrooms and henbane” [something perhaps acting as a muscarinic antagonist?].

However, extract should probably be made with the roots as although they may contain less thujone, they contain a host of other oils which could be dream enhancing.

From American Medicinal Plants:

“ The fresh root is chopped and pounded to a pulp and weighed. Then two parts by weight of alcohol are taken, and the pulp thoroughly mixed with 1/6th part of it, and the rest of the alcohol added. After thorough succession, the whole is poured into a well-stoppered bottle, and allowed to stand eight days in a dark cool place. The tincture thus prepared should after straining and filtering, have a deep yellowish colour by transmitted light; a characteristic un-comparable odour -that of the bruised leaves; an aromatic, slightly bitter taste; and an acid reaction.

AN OLD LOVE CHARM
On St Luke’s Day, take marigold flowers, a sprig of marjoram, thyme, and a little wormwood; dry them before a fire, rub them to powder; then sift through a fine piece of lawn, and simmer it over a slow fire, adding a small quantity of virgin honey, and vinegar. Anoint yourself with this when you go to bed saying the following three times and you will dream of your partner that is to be.
“St. Luke, St. Luke, be kind to me, in dreams let me my true-love see.”

WORMSEED, LEVANT

It has been mentioned many species of the Artemisia genus have very different properties. Artemisia Cina also known as Sea Wormwood contains santonin, a CYTOTOXIN (to add confusion the maritime variety is also called sea wormwood). Santonin is extracted immediately after the flower heads have expanded as it rapidly diminishes in quality. This is done by treating them with milk of lime (lime mixed with sweat water), producing a soluble calcium Santonate.

It is sparingly soluble in water but is soluble in alcohol and ether. This compound is stated as becoming poisonous with exposure to sunlight, with even small doses reported to produce remarkable effects in the vision. Appreciation of colour being so disturbed that objects appear yellow and are often preceded by colour trails.
The preparation was used as a worm treatment, with santonin receiving great attention from recent research, as the molecule is a great starting point for other substances. Many molecular variations of santonin have been prepared but to my knowledge none are known to be psychoactive.

Here’s the phytochemistry of Artemisia Cina.
web page

Although thujone is thought to be the major active substance in raw mugwort, there is also an allyl benzene present which could become aminated in-vivo, to produce a probably active compound, although this is present in only very small amounts.

Pihkal# 152
“…And the 3,5-dimethoxyallylbenzene isomer from artemisia (a pungent herb commonly called mugwort) and from sage, would give rise to 3,5-DMA. This is an unexplored isomer which would be both an antidote for opium as well as a stimulant, if the classical reputation of mugwort is transferred to the amphetamine...”

Despite Mugwort being closely related, Absinthium contains much higher levels (1750ppm in leaf) of alpha-thujone, as well as the beta form of thujone not found in mugwort.

The phytochemical make up can be found here.
web page

Plants listed with the highest alpha thujone levels are:

Salvia officinalis L. -- Sage; 200 - 10,172 ppm in Leaf BML JAD;
Artemisia salsoloides WILLD.; 9,500 ppm in Shoot 5001;
Artemisia absinthium L. -- Wormwood; 1,750 ppm in Leaf;
Artemisia herba-alba ASSO. -- Desert Wormwood; 580 - 773 ppm in Plant;
Cistus ladaniferus L. -- Ambreine, Gum Cistus, Labdanum, Rockrose; 8 - 560 ppm in Leaf;
Rosmarinus officinalis L. -- Rosemary; 84 - 399 ppm in Plant;
Satureja montana L. -- Savory, Winter Savory; 10 - 385 ppm in Plant BML CRC JEO3:147;

Plants listed with the highest beta thujone levels are:

Artemisia salsoloides WILLD.; 15,000 ppm in Shoot 5001;
Salvia officinalis L. -- Sage; 200 - 9,968 ppm in Leaf BML JAD;
Tanacetum vulgare L. -- Tansy; 1,124 - 3,500 ppm in Leaf;
Artemisia absinthium L. -- Wormwood; 1,750 ppm in Leaf;
Salvia triloba L. -- Greek Sage; 160 - 1,500 ppm in Plant BML HHB;
Artemisia herba-alba ASSO. -- Desert Wormwood; 580 - 773 ppm in Plant;
Rosmarinus officinalis L. -- Rosemary; 11 - 209 ppm in Plant FFJ9:29;
---------------------------------------------------------
Just to repeat BT’s warning. Mugwort, like most wormwoods, can be very toxic. Low dosages of light infusion teas, or pillows for dreams are unlikely to cause any problems, but be very careful about concentrates. There are many herbs with interesting properties but most of those which aren’t toxic are already widely used. That’s not to say there aren't possibly some very interesting compounds within the wealth of Australian natives.

OTHER REFERENCES
Millspaugh,C.F., American Medicinal Plants, 1974
Grieve, M. A Modern Herbal, 1944
http://www.nf-2000.org/secure/Fair/R1781.htm
web page

Last edited:
hey just another dreaming herb out there is CALEA or Calea Zacatechichi.
you need at least 10 grams of the leaf for it to be effective.Calea needs to be made into a tea which i may add tastes terrible and pungent.
it should be taken 45mins before bed and user will become more so aware of there pulse.this is easyily available in melb,syd and nimbon from the happy high herbs crew and its fully legal! also very cosmic! enjoy.

one more thing that it is great for is in dream pillows aswell and go's great with damiana

Great thread! Refreshing to see stuff here other than the typical pill related info.

Since reading this thread, I thought I'd put the dream pillow to good use. Although I had taken the tea and smoked Mugwort years ago, I had never tried the herb under the pillow. I likened the effect to a post mescaline sleep I once experienced. Colours, shapes, wild adventures!
After realising the power of this aroma induced state, my girl tried it and after several nights of incredible dream experiences we gave it to our friends. Without exception, they have all experienced amazing dreams. For one girl who never remembers her dreams, this was a bit scary as she had nightmarish encounters. We are now helping her work throught this stuff.
Something worth mentioning is the fresh state one wakes up in. Even if your dreaming is intense it seems as though you've had a great night’s sleep, and you arise clear headed. This is rather surprising because both of us seem to be more restless during the night, sometimes waking often.
The herb is used fresh, and simply put in the pillow slip. We change it every couple of days. I initially tried putting patchouli leaves with the mugwort in an effort to cover the smell, but I now feel quite comfortable with its aroma. Sometimes the aroma will actually wake us, but it seems you can jump right back into a dream. I also feel I have more control in my dreams, almost as if I know I’m dreaming, yet this doesn’t seem to restrict the adventure.
Fabulous stuff, and all you need to do is breathe the smallest amount of molecules! For the value and safety of the experience it’s worth a go. Check for any allergies first by rubbing a bit of the herb on the back of your hand. It shouldn’t be a problem but just in case…
Next thing to do is to discover whether the dried herb is as effective as the fresh

^
16.gif
: Great post, thanks phase_dancer!
BigTrancer :)

I have been told mugwort is in that Hemp energy drink, sold in 7-11, Nightowl, Servos etc.. Anyone verify this?