Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

what exactly, is xanax?

melancholic

Bluelighter
ok, i know its a benzodiazapine, but i dont really know what that means... as far as i know it does something to the central nervous system, makes you sleepy, dulls your senses, helps with anxiety or something..
i tried searching the drug FAQs, the other drugs forum, and this one, no avail.. can anyone give me a simple description of effects, dosage, side-effects, etc? or a link with a description?
thanks guys :)

Xanax is a brand name for Alaprozolam, a benzodiazepine.
It is prescribed in the same way Valium (diazepam) is generally prescribed - as a anti anxiety agent.
Information can be found here:
Xanax Information

Xanax:
Use: Anxiety incl. anxious patients with some symptoms of depression (short-term); panic disorder
Contraindications: Myasthenia gravis; COPD with incipient respiratory failure
Adverse Reactions: CNS disturbances incl. impaired alertness, drowsiness, dizziness; dependence, tolerance; amnesia; hypotension; paradoxical reactions; others, see full PI
Interactions: Alcohol; CNS depressants; HIV protease inhibitors (eg ritonavir); anticonvulsants; anticholinergics; cimetidine; disulfiram; macrolides; lithium; OCs; others, see full PI
Dose: May be taken with or without food. Individualise dosage; see full PI. Anxiety disorders: range 0.5-4.5 mg/day. Panic disorders: max. 10 mg/day
Effects: Pharmacological properties of alprazolam in animals appear similar to those of other benzodiazepines, that is, it produces significant anxiolytic, muscle relaxant, sleep promoting and anticonvulsant effects in appropriate animal models.
I think thats all your q's.

While enough Xanax will promote sleep, it's primarily prescribed for its anxiolytic qualities. Temazepam is the benzodiazepine most commonly prescribed for sleeping and has more of a hypnotic effect (ie sleep-promoting). Xanax appears to be particularly useful in cases of panic attacks and unlike the other benzodiazepines seems to have a slight antidepressant effect.
Anecdotally I would have to say that fewer people seem to abuse Xanax/use Xanax to get off their face than is the case with Valium, possibly because Xanax seems to calm anxiety without producing as much of a warm fuzzy feeling as Valium. I should add that this is my opinion but I don't have any hard facts to back it up. Would others agree?

One wierd little thing we heard of a while ago was someone who'd taken a large dose of xanax (about 10mg in one hit) followed by a couple of cones. No alcohol or any other drugs. This actually caused a major paranoid freakout, which was really hard to control and talk down. Said person then spent the next few hours spewing their guts up until it eased off.
Not sure how common this reaction is, but you should be careful with high/multiple doses of xanax, as well as mixing xanax with other drugs. Those tiny little pills can be deceptive.

High doses of any benzodiazepine - not Xanax only - can cause very scattered, chaotic and messy emotional states, with moods flying all over the place. Marijuana can also cause or intensify paranoia, so the combination ain't pretty.

10mg of Xanax would K.O a fucken horse. Don't know how anyone could take that and stay awake.
I took 5mg to knock myself out of a bad lsd trip and I find it hard to believe of paranoia when under the influence of Xanax because you'd be too scattered and would have great difficulty moving or even functioning for that matter. But hey I'm not saying what you say is not true, of course this might happen in the miniority. But generally 99% of the time this is not the case.

If you can memorise the last paragraph that mug quoted, you will know most of the important stuff about benzo's in general. The main difference between benzo's is potency (how much you take), length of effect and how they are available (oral, im, iv etc).