Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Cheaper? 5-htp

Benj

Bluelighter
Just a quick word on the 5-htp front
for those who may not know, iherb have started an international `division' - iherbi, linked to from their main page.
only US$5 to ship to Oz for orders UNDER $50.
This is in stark contrast to big charges everywhere else i looked. they also ship these orders via airmail and theoretically avoid problems with customs as has occured in the past.
ordered today, so we'll see how they go. sure seems cheap though [no, I don't work for them!]

Could you PLEASE keep us updated!
I've also seen that site and am thinking of getting some 5-HTP for non drug reasons, so I'm interested if it's less of a hassle for you.

About iHerbi.com (iHerbinternational.com)
iHerbi.com is a new division of iHerb.com, created exclusively for those international customers wanting to place smaller orders of up to $50.00.
Please use the main iHerb.com website instead if:
you are placing a domestic (U.S.) order, regardless of the $ amount.
you are placing an international order for more than $50.00--from selected countries only. (See iherb.com international page.)
Exactly why did we create this division?
(*) We have a number of overseas customers (and prospective customers), particularly from the U.K. and Canada, who wish to place smaller orders (for instance, one bottle of 5-HTP or DHEA), but find the flat $20.00 shipping charge too high.
(*) iHerb customers ordering from Australia, New Zealand, and Taiwan have had to endure substantial problems at customs--delays, permit requirements, hefty import duties and other charges--mainly because of iHerb.com's choice of Airborne and DHL as its carriers. In the case of iHerbi.com, we are confident that--due to the Airmail shipping method and the smaller value of the shipments--these problems will be a thing of the past...
Continues at: www.iherbi.com/info.html
I notice that the volume purchase discounts are unavailable with this option because the order maximum value is US$50.00. This means that Jarrow 5-HTP which is usually sold for US$16.00 per bottle of 60x 100mg capsules stays at that unit price. Ordering from the usual iHerb site allows you to select single bottles for US$15.00, or larger orders, ie. 4 bottles for US$58.00, 12 for US$168.00, 48 for US$648.00. Obviously there are limits to how much one can import at a time, however... in our case 3-months supply (about 4 bottles or so).
Realistically the slightly higher price at iHerbi.com is outweighed by the cheaper shipping charges and the possibility of less customs hassles. It looks like a great option - if anyone orders from there, could you please post up your observations of their service and reliability. They've usually had good customer service in the past, in my experience, so I can't see why they'd change now.
BigTrancer :)

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I thought it better to reply here than to have 2 current 5-HTP topics. k? ;)
Could someone tell me (and backup with evidence) why exactly 5-HTP is illegal to sell in Australia? I have several ideas about why it possibly could be banned, but I cant find any evidence to proove/disprove any of them.
Thanks, gleep.

sorry gleep cant give any hard evidence, but as i recall 5-htp was introduced in Australia for ppl who have a condition that suffers from lack-of seratonin, or basicly no seratonin, the psycologists were using it as a major anti-depressant, but as always their 'super drugs' get investigated and seem to have too many flaws to suit the australian laws i guess....

I believe it's not permitted to sell in Australia because the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) have not specifically approved it, and that is the bureau who dictate what nutrients are, and what are not allowed to be sold here.
Lots of people have posted opinions on why this might be, however it remains legal to import for personal use. Usually 3 months supply at a time is permitted, up to a max of 15 months worth per year. Since no approval has been given, however, there is also no Recommended Daily Intake... so ordering up to (say) 4 bottles of 60x 100mg 5-HTP capsules should be permissible. Many of us have ordered that quantity on line in the past and had no troubles.
RE: Personal import of 5-hydroxy tryptophan (5-HTP)
Please be advised that you do not require an import permit under the
Customs ( Prohibited Imports ) Regulations to import these substances.
However, the maximum quantity allowed for import at any one time is 3
month's supply and nmt 15 months supply in any 12 month period.

I don't have any more answers, but it is interesting to note that the FDA (the USA equivalent of the TGA) does not allow the sale of L-tryptophan in the USA, where it is generally freely available in AUS. That suggests that the stories about ppl having severe adverse reactions to 5htp and L-tryptophan have only occurred in AUS and USA respectively.

From the Therapeutic Goods Administration website:
Access to Unapproved Therapeutic Goods via Personal Importation
From http://www.health.gov.au/tga/docs/pdf/unapproved/personalimp.pdf
... The major legislation dealing with the regulation of therapeutic goods in Australia is the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989 (the Act) and the Therapeutic Goods Regulations 1990 (the Regulations). One important outcome of this legislation is that most therapeutic goods (medicines and medical devices) are required to be approved and included on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods before they can be supplied unless there is an exemption...
So therefore, unless the TGA say "5-HTP is specifically allowed to be sold in Australia" then it's not legal to do so.

I feel sorry for those that dont live in Queensland.
I do and i can get 5-htp tablets, over the counter, from my local chemist.
Each capsule contains: 5HTP.....75 mg
Pyridoxine 5 phosphate.............5 mg
Thiamine hydrochloride (B1) ........30 mg
Riboflavine (B2).....................25 mg
Folic acid ..............................100 mcg
Chromium (picolinate) ....................50 mcg
Magnesium (orotate)........................10 mg
I'm about to mention prices, is this allowed? Due to the fact it is 5-htp? If its not, feel free to edit it out Mods. Cheers!
There's 30capsules in a bottle. It is expensive at about $45, but it saves hassles ordering from overseas. The woman who sells it at the chemist is a naturopath, maybe thats why they can sell it. I told her why i wanted it, for post-loading purposes. She sold it to me no problems.
There is an online ordering site in Australia.
But its for QUEENSLAND RESIDENTS ONLY!!!
If you put in an order and you don't live in QLD, the order will not be processed.
Link:
http://www.vitaminsaustralia.com.au/prod1652.htm
[ 04 June 2002: Message edited by: glory_glamour ]

MezZedUp: l-tryptophan is not freely available in Aus, it is only available on prescription (schedule 4) from compounding pharmacies, if my memeory serves me.
AFAIK, the reason 5htp isn't sold in Aus (at least this is what health food store web pages say) was a panic reaction because of the problems with l-tryptophan. After some people died from contaminated l-tryptophan, the govt didn't want to take the same chance with 5htp. You can see their point - a health supplement that might be able to kill people (even though this has never happened with 5htp) isn't deemed worth the risk.
CuPiD^^: although many people including some helath professionals often say "---- is due to a lack of serotonin" there is absolutely no evidence to support this claim.
Apparently, enteric coated 5htp is better than capsules as it is less irritating to the stomach, and doesn't get broken down in the stomach, enhancing it's chances of getting to the brain (apparently).
I can recommend www.healthy.co.nz - I got 60 enteric tablets of 50mg 5htp including shipping for about $55. That's better value than the Qld site, but worse than some other places. It arrived in 5 days, and had been opened and checked by customs. Although it isn't as cheaps as others, I have found them fast and reliable on the 2 occasions I used them (unlike jomarlabs for example).

I know this site has been mentioned before but here gos, cheapest i;ve seen
http://www.clubnatural.com/cramrx.html
4 bottles of 60x100mg 5-htp for $50US + $8US flat rate shipping to aus (via air mail). Thats about $101AU at current exchange rate for 240 caps definately cost effective.
I ordered last week and they've emailed to say they will be about 10 days to deliver.
i'll keep you guys posted on when they arrive.

I've read on this site (sorry no link) and on the iherb 5-htp info page that the problems with contaminated l-tryptophan were caused by the process by which it is produced. apparently it involves bacteria which can be left behind in the final product if not treated properly. Because 5-htp is extracted from a plant, it does not have this problem.
Also i'm gonna try putting an order through iherbi pretty soon so i'll keep you posted.
AJ :)

Tryptophan for human therapeutic use is included in Schedule 4 (PRESCRIPTION ONLY
MEDICINES) of the Standard for the Uniform Scheduling of Drugs and Poisons (SUSDP)
except in preparations labelled with a daily dose of less than 100 mg. As result, exempted
preparations were not included in an Australia-wide recall of products containing tryptophan
It's on about page 9 of here
There are lots of products avail in AUS with L-tryptophan in them, at doeses anywhere from 1mg to 100mg. Sure, they may not be high dose enough for what many consider to be effective doses, but it's still freely available ;)
This iherbi.com thing sounds promising.. *keeps eyes peeled for new developments*

I just pop down to a local vitamin and health food store where 30 caps are $37. Been doing it for a loooong time now.. never once have i ordered off the net. They always have a ready supply, and they don't give a shit if you buy multiple bottles.
It's not what you know.. it's where u shop ;) .
I'm sure other cities must have a similar set-up?

I put in an order for 4 bottles of 5-HTP to Club Natural on 15 May - still waiting... hoping for it to arrive ASAP.
The order details for some reason specify that they're sending it with a US$8 airmail shipping charge, but a UPS US$35 charge appears on the invoice too! I'm hoping that they don't charge me twice for shipping, because that will up my US$50 four bottle order to around $40 per bottle. Hopefully they will realise the situation and not double charge.

BT and teXman01...
I made an order of 5htp with club natural last year (sorry I cant remember the costs now), it took so long to arrive that I sent them an email asking where it was. Aparently it dissapeared in the mail (they checked this out some how) and so they sent me another one no charge. I think all up it took about 2months to arive. I will still order with them in the future but will do so way in advance.

On the topic of OTC tryptophan...Sustagen Sport is fairly high in tryptophan . This along with a whole range of other goodies...In convientient drinkable form too!
Check this and click Sustagen Sport powder in either Chocolate or Vanilla flavour for a breakdown of actual quantities.
Excellent stuff for a big night out.

MezZedUp: you're right - got me there on a technicality. Not that 100mg of l-tryptophan is going to do squat :)
**AJ**: you're absolutely right of course - like I said it was a panic reaction.

The order details for some reason specify that they're sending it with a US$8 airmail shipping charge, but a UPS US$35 charge appears on the invoice too!
BT: by invoice, do you mean one by snail mail or email?
Apparently mine left the warehouse last week, so im hoping they arrive shortly.