Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Magic Mushrooms + MAOI's?

nickthecheese

Bluelighter
Any idea on the effect of the following?
I recentley picked up some 2nd hand info from a dodgy friend who swore that when you take MM's your tripping from the effects of the psilocibe, not the actual psilocibin..not only that but taking an MAOI would 'increase' the effects, to the point where you would trip much harder from a smaller dose. He suggested/was talking about using Syrian Rue as an MAOI to increase the effects of the mushrooms?
(then again, this guy eats mushrooms with the intention to see god, so who knows eh? ;)
Is this utter shite? Or is there a shread, or shredder of truth in there somewhere...
Anyone here deliberateley taken an MAOI to increase the effect of other thing(s)? (no, not mdma you fool :p)

Your dodgy friend is telling more truth than lies. People have been known to combine Syrian Rue or other reversible MAOI's with mushrooms, or even some other tryptamines and phenethylamines, for an increased effect. You must realise however you need to be extremely careful when combining things of this nature, as there are many potential dangers. There are many ways you can get yourself into trouble with this combination however and the long-term effects, as with most chemical combinations, are not known.
As for Psilocybe with respect to psilocybin I think he has things a little confused. Psilocybe mushrooms contain psilocybin and psilocin which are the active tryptamines that occur in the mushrooms from which your experience comes from.
Hope that helps :)
There is a bulk load of information regarding this around the shroomery and erowid.
[edit] damm spell checkers ;)
[ 31 May 2002: Message edited by: Fry-d- ]

Mixing shrooms and something like syrian rue has been done for possibly thousands of years. Be more concerned with the types of foods and other drugs (inlcuding prescription etc.) you consume roughly 12-24 hours before and after the MAOI.

Except from: Erowid --> Mushroom Vault --> Basics:
Taking psyilocybin containing mushrooms while on an MAOI can dramatically increase the effects of the experience. MAOIs are most commonly found in the prescription anti-depressants Nardil (phenelzine), Parnate (tranylcypromine), Marplan (isocarboxazid), Eldepryl (l-deprenyl), and Aurorex or Manerix (moclobemide). Ayahuasca also contains MAOIs (harmine and harmaline). Check with your doctor if you are not sure whether your prescription medication is an MAOI.
BigTrancer :)

though slightly off topic, what would the effects (any) be of combining Dexamphetamine and mushrooms? note: the Dex is not implied to be recreationally consumed either, rather as medication...

timmy c stop sucking cock, of course its on topic, its a harm minimisation topic about drugs in aus/nz.... keep up that behaviour and youll be a mod in no time
syrian rue and psilocybin containing mushrooms are part of the big 5 that the ancient civilisations used to acheive spiritual enlightenment
[ 03 June 2002: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]

timmy c stop sucking cock, of course its on topic, its a harm minimisation topic about drugs in aus/nz.... keep up that behaviour and youll be a mod in no timeWhat exactly is your problem? I've had to delete 4 of you and your friend lotus_biter's threads this morning already, and comments like that are just not needed. If you want to contribute then by all means contribute, but snide remarks like that are not wanted.
Do not reply to this here though - email me if you wish to discuss it.
[ 03 June 2002: Message edited by: Pleonastic ]

so minimise potential harm and answer the question smartarse...
[ 03 June 2002: Message edited by: Timmy C ]
[ 03 June 2002: Message edited by: Timmy C ]

I can see no reason for any interaction between shrooms and Dex. If Dex were being used recreationally then the user may face the potential concern of mixing amphetamines and shrooms. Many people may enjoy such a combination, some may find it too intense. But if you're on Dex for medication I see no reason for concern.