Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age 13 May 02: Ecstasy the new 'reefer madness'

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Ecstasy the new 'reefer madness'
By Julie Szego
May 13 2002

A father grieving over his daughter. Brain scans showing "holes" that indicate long-term damage. These television images in the United States are part of a shock anti-drugs campaign, promoting the orthodox "Just Say No" message. But there is a new culprit now being targeted - the dance drug ecstasy.
The advertisement exemplifies a sensationalist approach to the drug that will only result in more dangers for young users, says Dr Marsha Rosenbaum, a US expert on drugs policy, who will today address the Third International Conference on Drugs and Young People in Sydney.
She says ecstasy is America's new "reefer madness". The media have pumped out more than 1000 ecstasy stories in the past two years, focusing on supply and demand, arrests of distributors, adverse reactions and fatalities. The US Government responded with tougher penalties and shock campaigns.
Dr Rosenbaum says much of the government-sponsored research on ecstasy's long-term effects has been discredited by scientists. But the government refuses to acknowledge the controversy and concentrates its resources on law enforcement rather than research. The response from young people is close-minded cynicism...
Full article at: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/05/12/1021002413825.html
BigTrancer :)

I heard on the radio today that since the USA has lunched this campain for teens to 'just say no' to drugs, that ecstasy has dramaticly increased with teenages. Now isn't that what we've been saying all the time, that if the government says it's bad, that it encourages people to do it. That the government should just tell the truth instead of portraying all these lies. I sure do hope they learn their lesson by this one.
I'm dog tired and i can't think properly, but u get the message right?

I got no problem with this !
Only people in denial will get upset at this. If you have to lie to yourself fine...but at the end of the day, their will be some damage. how much is up to you :(

These tactics are relics from when the powers that be were adament about eradicating Marijuana.
We all see how well that worked...
I say we form a Bluelight Political Party and run for office. We'd do a better job than these suckers...

That's a good idea Schizo! Well i can personally say ive never had a pill, giggled uncontrollably, then got butt nekid for some sort of aquatic drug ceremony! I can see the advertising campaigns now "Know your eccy fiend: ecstacy users are easily spotted by the dried semen on their trousers from jacking off too much, when they can't find a rape victim." The whole war on drugs thing has shown to be ineffective in reducing the total number of people using illicit drugs, which increases every year. Take New Yorks much flaunted zero tolerance approach to crime, prima facee it was highly effective, but in reality there was a general down turn in crime in the early to middle 90s and heroin & crack epidemic died down and shifted the drug problem elsewhere. When oh when are the authorities going to realise that nothing will change in terms of the drug issues if they don't take new approaches. In all probability media sensationalisation of drug use, creates a moral panic, where politicians are goaded to taking a zero tolerance approach, which in turn is ineffectual and creates as many problems as those it claims to solve.

I sometimes look at the world, with my cynical sunnies on and see the same world that existed during the days of the burning of witches during the middle ages. It seems that the US has put a different cloak on the spanish inquisition and called it the drug war.
The idea stays true:
Do what the establishment tells is you is right, or
suffer the consequences.
The urine and saliva tests remind me of the various tests used to determine if people where witches. If you fail the test, say good bye to your freedom, perhaps even your life.
"We the rulers of your country, know what is better for you. If you don't do what we know is better for you, then you are a heretic, a criminal, a villian."
In conclusion:
Let me tell you, those who believe you know what is better for me! I am a human being who loves. I am a human being who contributes to society, I am a human being who shares his wealth. I have my fears, I have the things that anger me, I have things I will fight, kill and die for. How can you too know these things and tell me what I should be doing with myself. If I need help I will ask for it. If I am too proud to accept help then let me sulk. I HAVE taken drugs, and in the words of the late bill hicks, " I had a good time! Didn't kill anybody, didn't rape any body, didn't lose ONE fucking job!"

Thankyou,
Leprechaun

I heard an interview on this topic with Dr Rosenbaum on the ABC, I've only got complements on her approach. Its lovely to hear someone who is actually being heard, who is voicing the approach of active harm minimisation without preventing people from using drugs.
-plaz out-

americans are getting absolutely screwed from the ammount of money they pour in and get no results.
fuck, they are smart economists. why didnt they stop 10 years ago?