Macksta

Bluelighter
From the Sydney Morning Herald
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/05/11/1021002403199.html
Youngsters offered lollies that look a lot like ecstasy
By Daniel Dasey, consumer reporter
May 12 2002
The Sun-Herald
A new line of lollies with a close resemblance to ecstasy tablets has raised concerns that big business is flirting with youth drug culture.
Drug authorities say the similarities between Trebor 24-7 lollies - produced by a subsidiary of chocolate company Cadbury - and ecstasy (MDMA) may reflect a deliberate marketing strategy.
The tablets, which are being promoted through a $7 million advertising campaign, are the same size and colouring as ecstasy, have similar designs and boast a hit of the caffeine-laden food guarana.
The likeness has alarmed drug counsellors at the Salvation Army who fear it may normalise ecstasy.
Paul Dillon from the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre said after examining the sweets that he was struck by their resemblance to MDMA.
advertisement
advertisement
''It looks remarkably like an ecstasy tablet," Mr Dillon said. ''I think its manufacturers are trying to get through to that market."
Mr Dillon said he believed the product was aimed at mid-teens and reflected a trend for businesses to utilise the youth drug culture to sell product.
Social researcher Neer Korn, of marketing group Heartbeat, agreed that advertisers were trying to connect with young audiences through references to the drug culture.
''They want people to say, 'You understand our lifestyle, you are part of our lifestyle'," he said.
Major Ken Sanz of Salvation Army rehabilitation services said he had several concerns about the tablets. He said he agreed there was a strong similarity with ecstasy and that children could store ecstasy in the lolly containers without their parents knowing.
''We have enough problems now without people mimicking drugs," Major Sanz said.
But Cadbury Schweppes manager corporate affairs Karina O'Meara said any similarities between the lollies and ecstasy were coincidental.
''The product is clearly branded as Trebor 24-7 on both sides," she said. ''We reject any suggestion this product has been deliberately manufactured to look like ecstasy or any other drug."
She said the design was inspired by other factors.
''Trebor 24-7 is an everyday refresh product with a similar shape, colour and packaging design to others in the market...
The mint version of Trebor 24-7 was manufactured as a circular shape so it could be dispensed through the unique packaging design which provides an important point of differentiation for consumers."
Hmm, oh well, if my dealer offers me any 'Trebor 24-7's' I'll know better, though someone should definitely do a pill report on these when they come out. :)
[ 11 May 2002: Message edited by: Macksta ]

and that children could store ecstasy in the lolly containers without their parents knowing.
I love it when people who don't really know what they are talking about get quoted like this. What, so children had no way of hiding drugs till these came along? Sheeesh....

Right, and next time I eat a polly waffle I'll no doubt develop a shit fetish...

Hahah,
I read this article in the paper today. For fucks sake, "It's small and round, therefore it looks like an ecstasy tablet!"
Geezus fuckin christ, 'ecstasy tablets' look like pills of any kind plain and simple. So who's up for making a Trebor 24/7 mint pill so we can really trick our parents when we hide our pills in their containers?....
Ghey..
Adikkal

Fuck the papers... I can remember buying lollies that look like pills nearly 20 years ago.

Guys, go to pill reports and do a search under the aus/nz section for 24...(!)
Couldn't post the url, but here's some of it:
Date Submitted 27-Apr-2002
Submitted By BigBadBari *#$!
Name: 24-7
Area: Melbourne
Color: white with inscription
Logo: 24-7
Shape: round
Rating: 0
Comments: This pill was the worse ever. Had no effect what so ever on myself. I paid 35 dollars for it and it had no physical effect on me... Maybe im immune but it just done nothing.
EZ Test Result:
Pill Consumed: unknown
Suspected Contents: Unknown - Unknown substance *#$!
So he might have been kiding but half the replys take him seriously... feck.

I bought these and they do look exactly like pills more than any other lolly I have ever seen. It would be easy to sell these as pills to dimwits! Their dimensions are about 8mm x 5mm so many pills would fit into the containers they come in. And yes, I did think of putting pills in there when I first bought them, so I don't know what everyone is objecting to.
The commercial I saw for them seemed club influenced, so I think the marketers are trying to sell them to people who think "pills are cool"! Don't know whether they are actually marketed towards kids though. Seems more like an adult product since some contain teeth whitening stuff or breath freshening stuff.
I think the look of them would actually stop me eating them in a club environment, because it would look like you were eating a pill.

I figure if your a Advertiser campaigner earning circa $200k+ and you've come up with an advertising campaign you know will be sucessful then good on you.
Companies have been doing it for years, and if the media wants to take focus just because its a fopah topic then so be it, it further makes Cadbury's advertising campaign even more sucessful by gaining media attention.

^^^^^
Exactly... there's a good chance I'll buy a pack sometime now, whereas I probably wouldn't have if I didn't hear about this via the media. All publicity is good publicity - especially bad publicity... :)

Why get so worried,
everything can look like a pill,
it just depends on how you look at it and how paranoid you are....

heh. the youth arts centre that i work for bought these for the kiosk, not knowing what they looked like. we all agreed that they did look a little too suss, and we sent em back. i showed everyone in the office the pillreport and they thought it was hysterical.

I was in a dutch shop the other day. Saw a bag of 500grams of round (Speckled mind u) licorice lollies on sale. they were a bit big, maybe Omega size, but u never know...they could be E's hey. Maybe thats why pills have that licorice smell...

". He said he agreed there was a strong similarity with ecstasy and that children could store ecstasy in the lolly containers without their parents knowing."
Until nana comes over and wants a butter scotch with her tea.
Mum discovers juniors lollies in a jar and they both have an afternoon tea and scones session unlike any other.

haha, my sister bought some of these the other day. I put a pink lady next to one of the pills and I have to say, there isn't alot of difference in shape and size. I tried a couple inside the container and they fit really good! I don't think thet will be on the market too long.

I have to say, that is the funniest thing i have heard in such a long time.
The worst thing about it though is that i can really see people falling for these things when people sell them. There is no limit to someone's stupidity.

I'll bet they don't test purple/black, so if you get ripped off you deserve it for not testing your pills.
BigTrancer :)

May pay to be weary of backpackers coming up to you in clubs trying to pay there way round australia. easy way to make a buck...

the thing is, they actually taste realy nice... well the lemon ones do anyways...