Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

3rd International Conference on Drugs and Young People

hardup

Bluelighter
Thought I'd start a thread on this conference happening from May 13 - 15 in Sydney. Hardup is lucky enough to be presenting a paper at this conference, looking at some of the future directions of peer education in Australia.
Being a conference on drugs and young people, it would be nice if young people were actually encouraged to attend. Conference registration costs $300 for all three days, or $150 per day. This is the student/un-waged price, too. What we're going to do is take notes of each session that we attend and present that here for some further discussion. Hopefully, papers preseneted will be collated and made available on-line, although we're not counting on it.
Check the url below for the program. There are some pretty amazing things happening including key note speaker Dr Marsha Rosenbaum "Ecstasy: America’s New Reefer Madness."
Stay tuned for some thought provoking drug discussion.
Conference Program available here

i was going to go to this, but it conflicts with work badly. it looks to be quite interesting.

well done hardup!! im really looking forward to reading the papers too.
shame i cant make it...work and uni commitments too

Madmick19 is representing Canberra and Code Blue for us. We're all keen to get some feedback. :)
DJC*

Okies...
Just got back from Sydney last night. I have to say, I found Sydney folk really friendly. Had a great time out at some Sydney venues, and had the very special privilege of seeing see the sniffer dogs in action (5 cops dealing with a guy for possesion of a joint).
Heaps of stuff happend at the conference. Apparently, speakers from the conference are emailing their presentaions to the ADF who will be posting them shortly. I'll post again when they get released, but it might take a while. There is already a range of media releases based on presentations. These basically summarise certain sessions. They aren't identified as related to the confernce, but all the press releases dated 13/5 to 15/5 are from the conference. The URL for the media releases is here
Firstly, some general comments about the conference... There was a fair bit of rhetoric around about how much "youth" would be involved in this conference. Here's some of the stuff being spouted about the "participation of youth".
Youth to Have a Say at International Drugs Conference
Friday 10 May 2002.
Young people from the Sydney metropolitan region will have their say and be heard by international youth and drug experts at a specially convened youth panel on Monday, which is the first day of the 3rd International Conference on Drugs and Young People.
The panel will be chaired by Triple J announcer Adam Spencer and will feature young speakers from local schools and youth organisations who will talk from another perspective about drugs.
The panel is a highlight on day one of the conference, which is being attended by more than 500 national and international experts on drugs and youth issues.
The opportunity to speak and be heard on this issue by adult experts is rare for young people and should provide an interesting discussion session.
Young people are also assisting to chair other sessions at the three-day conference and writing a daily newspaper.
Other than the youth panel, the young peoples' participation was really just token involvement. There wasn't even a mention of the involvement of actual young drug users, or any drug users for that matter. The conference had the distinct feeling that a whole range of "experts" were basically talking about young people behind their back. There was no oppurtunity to raise these concerns at all. In fact, it seemed like they were aware of this issue from previous conferences, and had gone all out to reduce the oppurtunity for comment on the conference itself. The conference evaluation form even failed to mention young peoples' participation or the issue of access to the conference for young people (it was $300 for student/unwaged for the whole confernce). We were amongst only a handful of young people attending the conference, and an even smaller number of young people actually presenting papers.
The youth panel was somewhat informative. I'm not sure where these young people came from, or how representative they were. Prior to the youth panel, Special Minister of State (NSW) John Della Bosca spoke about the value of this conference, and how he can't wait to hear of the outcomes, and to hear what the young people had to say. He promtly left after this speech, and missed any of the comments from the young people. One of the young people mentioned this fact, and the audience cracked up. There is a fairly high level of cynicism towards politicans in the drug and alcohol field, and it showed. Della Bosca came out with lots of meaningless buzzwords, about how much his government relies on evidence based practice, community capacity building etc etc. He mentioned how frigtening it was that many young people think Es are slightly more dangerous than alcohol, tobacco, inhalants and pot and then went on to say that drug educators need to tell the truth, and not exagerate potential drug related harms... So, who's truth are we talking about??? He also mentioned "so called recreational drug use" and how this term has implied a normailisation of drug use in "youth sub-cultures" (whatever that means). I just think that politicians are the last people that should enter into drug debates. Politics and drugs just don't mix. How can you hope to have a balanced, even handed approach to drug issues when so much of politics is driven by talk back radio and "A Current Affair"? Mr Della Bosca believes that we can separate ideology from drug debates by using evidence based practice. He failed to acknowledge that so much drug and alcohol research is ideologically driven, and ideologically read. Evidence based practice sounds great, but in practice its not that simple.
The first key note speaker was Ms Sheila Henderson, whose paper was titled "On a Road to Nowhere? Young People, Drug Use and Social Exclusion in the UK". Not what I was expecting at all, from the title. She basically looked at two areas: How does social background affect drug use and life opportunities? and Does drug use have long term predictable bad effects on young people? She was very interested in the idea of transition in life (ie childhood to adolescence, primary to high school, high school to uni etc). She used two case studies. Both were 16 year old young women, who had been disapproving of drug use while in early adolescence, yet by the age of 16, they had started taking Es are going out to niteclubs. Their patterns of use were both similar. Both reported an E "honeymoon" for the first year of their E use, whereby they thought Es were the best thing since sliced bread. During this year, they used Es "frequently". I'm not sure exactly how much actual use this means, or if other drugs were also used. These two young women came from very different social backgrounds. One was from Northern Island, and had been exposed to high levels of violence around the sectarian issues of the region. She lived on "the wrong side of the tracks" in a poor family etc etc etc... All the stereotypical risk factors that always get wheeled out. The other young woman came from a wealthy family in a nice area etc etc. The woman from the "at risk" background gave up E use after her first year "honeymoon", because she wanted to become a nurse, and felt Es would make it harder for her to concentrate at uni. The other young woman from the well-off background became a podium dancer at her favourite nightclub, almost got sacked because of her excessive drug use, but then slowly reduced her drug use over a few years, but continued to use Es, and saw it as not much of an issue. The conclusion of this presentation was that life outcomes are unpredictable when considering drug use, and that heavy drug use is often related to transition, and perhaps problematic drug use comes from some kind of problem in transition phases of life. Overall, a very interesting talk.
The next key note speaker was Dr Marsha Rosenbaum's "Ecstasy: The New Reefer Madness". There's already been a thread on this, as it was reported in the press. This thread is here. The URL for the press release based on Dr Marsha's talk is here. She's a very brave woman saying what she does in the US. She has actually managed to get into the various Parent Teacher Associations in the US and help them form policies on drug education in schools. The Parent Teacher Associations in the US are nothing like our's in Australia. In the US they have a huge amount of power in terms of what goes on in the actual curriculum, such as what sort of drug ed kids get a school. Hopefully, Dr Marsha's talks will be posted in full in the next week or so. I'll put it in the thread thats already been started about her talk.
Next, I went off to a session about "On Line Education". First talk was about "Drug Education in the Virtual World: An Assessment of Electronic Drug Prevention Resources". Basically, it was an English guy talking about some of the CD-Rom based drug prevention "games" for use in schools. The guy was so wrapped up in the technology, he forgot to consider all of the problematic areas of drug use prevention strategies. These include using scare tactics and misinformation, and a general "drugs are bad, m'kay" type of approach. And all the games looked really lame too, just to top it off.
Next was a talk called "Teens On Line for Life Advice: Youth Empowerment via the Internet". This was about a website designed by the Austrlain Drug Foundation (who organised the conference). It was one of the very few presentations actually made by a young person. The URL for the website they are talking about is here. Not much interesting in this presentation. Check this URL for a summary.
Other interesting talks on this day included:
"Mixing with Hairdressers" (study showing hairdressers to be big drug users). Summary of this is here.
"What has tax and public transport got to do with youth drug use?" (no summary available, but basically looking at the idea of social cohesion and drug use. The idea was that the more public transport is used, the higher the rates of social cohesion, and community spirit etc. This, along with other similar social factors needs to be addressed when looking at problematic drug use).
"Are Some Approaches to Youth Drug Use Doing More Harm than Good?" (Summary is here)
Also an evaluation of harm minimisation approach in a South Austrlian school for kids that don't get on well in regular schools was presented. Some of the kids were pretty heavy cannabis and alcohol users. The school promoted a "self-help" philosophy, whereby the kids are alowed to decide if they want to come to school or not. If they turn up smashed, they're asked to go home for the day, and then there's a discussion about it the next day. This approach was mirrored at many levels of the school, in different ways. The evaluation showed that the kids use of cannabis and alcohol had reduced across the board, their attendence levels had increased, and their opinions about school and teachers had changed significantly for the better.
Dr Marsh Rosenbaum (who gave the talk on Ecstasy: The New Reefer Madness) gave another talk called "Safety First: A Reality Based Approach to Teens, Drugs and Drug Education". This talk started with Dr Marsha's account of her exchange with a San Francisco newspaper editor, on the issue of drug education. The editor told Dr Marsha that if she would write a letter to her own teenage son about everything she thought he needed to know about drugs, her letter would be published. So Dr Marsha wrote a letter telling her son about the potential negative consequences of drug use (in realistic terms) and finished with a paragraph that started "If you do choose to use ecstasy, there are some other things you need to know. If you're dancing, you'll need to drink adequate water, but not too much, etc etc etc." When the entire talk is posted on the ADF website, I'll post the URL in the other thread about "Ecstasy: The New Reefer Madness".
Day one finished up with a really interesting talk from Lowitja O'Donoghue called "New Habits Die Hard" about the current situation with Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander young people and drug use. Her talk covered a huge amount of ground. I'll wait until this is available online. It really was one of the best talks of the whole conference.
So that was day one in rough...I'll finish the rest sometime during the week. There's some really good stuff to come too
[ 20 May 2002: Message edited by: hardup ]

hardup: Great post. A lot of interesting things. Pity about the cost to go, I suppose young people are all welcome at these sorts of things, as long as you can afford it.
Great comment about Poltics and Drug Policy not mixing. Is sadly so true. Politicians just can't help themselves. Its an amazing phenomonon.

What drugs and/or sexual pleasures do you get for $300?

Cheers for the report hardup, be interested to see if anything more interesting comes out of it. It’s just a shame that a conference supposedly dealing with drug issues and young people gives the impression that the young people’s thoughts on issues aren’t all that important
John Della Bosca spoke about the value of this conference, and how he can't wait to hear of the outcomes, and to hear what the young people had to say. He promptly left after this speech, and missed any of the comments from the young people
I guess it’s taken a long time to even get our arguments heard; we'll be waiting even longer to get taken seriously. Don't get me wrong though at least we have the opertunity to speak.

Here's day 2 of the confernece in brief... Its a bit of a read, but its important as much gets out as possible.
Firstly, the opening night talk from Lowitja O'Donoghue called "New Habits Die Hard" is now on the ADF website here. Its pretty long, but its an excellent overview of indigenous drug and alcohol issues in Australia at the moment.
First key note speaker was Dr Ingrid van Beek (who is the manager of the Medically Supervised Injecting Centre in Kings Cross as well as some other services in the area) "Preventing Hep C Infection Among Young People: A Public Health Priority". Some quite scary stuff here. Here's the abstract
The incidence of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection continues to be high among Australian injecting drug users (IDUs) despite the current prevention strategies. The most recent Australian Needle and Syringe Program (NSP) survey undertaken in 2001 among IDus attending various NSPs in all states showed that HCV prevalence was already 40% among IDUs under 20 and 29% among IDUs who had commenced injecting in the last 3 years, the highest rates recorded to date. An ongoing HCV incidence study among IDUs attending the Kirketon Road Centre, a prevention setting in Kings Cross, Sydney, continued to show a high rate of new infections in the 3 years to end 2001, highest (32 per 100 person years) among IDUs who were 20 or younger.
These data confrim that young people continue to be at high risk of acquiring HCV soon after they commence injecting, often before they have contact with prevention programs such as NSPs, potentially limiting their effectiveness among young injectors in this regard. HCV prevention strategies need to engage and educate young people about how to prevent HCV earlier, preferably before they start injecting. Prevention of the transition to injecting among "at risk" young people also has a potential role in reducing the rate of HCV infection in this population. The development of prevention strategies that target young people "at risk" of transition to injecting and subsequent hepatitis C infection should be considered a public health priority.
This has been coming for a while now, but it seems the pool of hep C infection is fairly high. The virus has grown exponentially, so that now the odds are getting stacked even further against people who share any equipment, like swabs, sppons, torniquets etc...whatever. 40% prevalence is pretty scary. Spread the word: Be Blood Aware! Even if your not injecting. Tattooing, piercing, razors, whatever...Keep your eyes open for blood to blood contact.
Next key note speaker was Paula Snowden from NZ, who's talk was titled "Who lisens to whom? Its all about being cool, hip, whatever..." She basiclaly shared her experiences of setting up a campaign for a prominant Maori radio station, around the idea of moderation in drinking. They released songs, ad gingle things, little messages, cross-promotional stuff, competitions, etc, but I wouldn't mind finding out what some real NZ kids thought of it. Some of it sounded a bit lame.
After another plush morning tea, we went off to the session on Drug Policy and Legal Issues.
First speaker was a NSW state public service bureaucrat talking about "Partnerships for Change in NSW: Good practice in Drug Policy Development and Implementation". This was a corker of a talk really, given the use of sniffer dogs just days before the conference kicked off. The main part of his talk was about how NSW drug policy formation was different prior to the 1999 Drug Summit, and how now there is multi-level consultation, community capacity building, evidence based practice, harm reduction, blah, blah, blah...So many buzzwords flying around, you wonder if anyone actually stopped to see if any of this made sense? Well they did. First question from the floor was "Where does the use of sniffer dogs fit into evidence based practice and harm reduction?" Room fills with applause and heckels at the same time...very divisive issue obviously. Public servant informed the room that he certainly wasn't a politician, and so therefore wasn't going to spout off in that way, although he could most definately assure us that "the use of sniffer dogs sat quite comfortably unde the banner of evidence based practice and harm reduction." Room erupts into hysterics, but some people are loudly agreeing that yes, sniffer dogs are a valid part of evidence based practice and harm reduction (including the sweet old lady sitting next to me, who turned and snarled "Its true, you know."..while I tried to stop myself wetting my pants laughing). This was the hottest topic of the day, and quite a lot of fun to watch. Although, I think the room was divided about 50/50 for and against at this point.
Next speaker was a politician, from Victoria, but I've chosen not to summarise his talk because its was more of the same politician crap...We've all heard it before...You guys could guess all the usual catch-phrases and fence sitting.
Final speaker for this session was a real highlight. Robert Oakshott was elected in 1996 as the youngest member of the NSW parliament while in the National Party. Just 26 at the time, he was interviewd on the ABC's Stateline, and as he was young, was asked his opinions on a range of "youth" issues, including this question: "With Police Commissioner Peter Ryan having given support for a heroin injecting room trial, and with the significant problems heroin is causing many young people, would you support such a trial?" Innocnetly, he responded "Why yes. We should be doing all we can to assist those with drug problems." The next day, it was headline news around the state, then on TV news etc etc etc. His senior colleaugues were very unimpressed. At the Party room meeting, he restated his views, and added that the National Party needed to
"...open their eyes to what is going on in regional NSW and not be locked into harder and tougher necessarily equating to better. Of course, I was torn up and spat out, with some MPs nearly jumping across the table as I quickly realised I had just challenged everything some of them stood for...the irony of all this was heroin and drug abuse was an issue I had given some thought to from what I considered a logical point of view, but not from a political point of view. And that is what I would like to talk about today - the illogical component of our drugs debate, that being the politics of drugs policy."
He is now an independent member (having resigned from the National Party), somewhere around the central coast of NSW.
After lunch, we went to a workshop. These were 90min interactive presentations. Titled "Drugs: The Chioces we Make. Is there a place for moral development?" I won't go into the details of the workshop, because it was basiclally an introduction to the idea of morailty, moral philosophy etc. It was good to see the issue of morailty included in a conference about drugs. Too often drug debates are really moral and existential debates, disguised so that it looks like we're actually arguing over some small point of fact. If you think that you live to experience the fullness of the world, you'd perhaps have a different moral opinion about drug use than someone who thought the purpose of living was constraint and the avoidance of physical temptations and sensations. Its important to look at the assumptions in arguments about drugs. Often, the assumptions are moral and ultimately existential.
After this, there was another key note speaker Salley Casswell looking at "Marketing Alcohol to Young People". She looked at the different perceptions of alcohol advertising amongst different age groups (eg younger people were more likely to pick up themes of intoxication in alcohol ads than older people were). None of this was very surprising. Alcohol companies actively target young drinkers in sophisticated ways, that many adults would be unaware of. Interesting talk.
Rest of the day was prety boring really. Here's some quick sumarries of other stuff happening on this day.
James Rowe "Homeless and Heroin dependent: Observations from and Ongoing Study" Read a summary of this here
Katherine Mills "Alcohol Consumption Among Univeristy Students" one conclusion included "...significantly higher levels of alcohol consumption was found among those studying health compared with science, economics, finance, business and law. " Read more here.
Spencer So "Drug Education in the Chinese Context" summary here.
So thats day 2... I'll get back with day 3 in a few more days...Still haven't found any of the papers published in full, bit I'll keep hasseling them.
[ 25 May 2002: Message edited by: hardup ]

Thanks for pointing this talk out, apollo. Pissed off I missed that one actually, but here's the abstract. Haven't seen any full text on the ADF website yet.
Are Some Aprroaches to Youth Drug Use Doing More Harm than Good? by Emma Saleeba
A growing body of evidence is demonstrating that youth drug misuse is not an isolated behaviour, but often the result of many personal and environmnetal influences. There are strong arguments that interventions addressing drug use in isolation have significant limitations.
Despite this, Australia has recently seen the implementation of various approaches targeting young people. These include the introduction of random drug testing in schools, expulsion of students for drug misdemeanors, sniffer dog searches and "rave party crackdowns". Serious consideration needs to be given to these approaches in relation to the likelihood of increased drug related harm , privacy, human rights, selective targeting, cost effectiveness, and the potential breakdown of what should be trusting relationships between young people, their teachers, parents and the police.
This paper will outline potentially effective alternatives and argue that discriminatory, heavy-heanded approaches are likely to cause more harm than good and do little to address the underlying issue of youth drug use.
[ 27 May 2002: Message edited by: hardup ]