Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Help with some drug interactions

pair of rollers

Bluelighter
Hey guys,

I've got a new friend who is interested in rolling, but she's on a couple of drugs that I don't know much about, and can't seem to find any information about...

The first drug is "Spironolactone". My friend uses it for acne control, but apparently it's also used to control blood pressure.

The other is "Elmiron". It's used to "treat" interstitial cystitis, but is a blood thinner.

Does anyone know what complications MDMA (pure, or cut with meth) would cause for either of these drugs?

The elmiron is mostly to help her deal with pain, and as such, she's willing to not take it for a couple of days if absolutely necessary, but if there's no real danger, then there's really no need for her to change her routine.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Does anyone know what complications MDMA (pure, or cut with meth) would cause for either of these drugs?
Spironolactone is associated with increased chance for intestinal bleeding, and you say she is on an anticoagulant too? MDMA can have some anticoagulant properties too, because of the rise in body temperature. So this sounds like a potential hazard (excessive anticoagulent activity creates a danger for internal bleeding or stroke).

Spironolactone is also associated with hyperkalemia (increased concentration of potassium in the blood). This might potentially be harmful, since MDMA can cause hyponatremia (decreased concentration of sodium in the blood). Potassium and sodium have antagonistic functions in the body, so excessive increase of potassium accompanied with excessive decrease of sodium can be really dangerous. Should be mentioned that hyponatremia is one of the leading causes of death following MDMA abuse.

The effect of spironolactone has a long wash-out period, so quitting that one for a few days is not really an option. As far as I can estimate, the dangers of spironolactone seem higher than those of Elmiron. I advice you to proceed with caution with this one... Good luck!

3rd: This is EXACTLY why this site will be forever bookmarked. So much great information when people work together.

As a followup question though, I've honestly never even HEARD of Hyponatremia, and definitely not being a problem with MDMA "use". You used the word "abuse" though. I don't mean to sound like I'm "pushing the issue" per se, as safety is my number one priority, but she really wants to try, so I want to make sure I have covered all of my bases before telling her that it would be a bad idea.

How likely is Hyponatremia OR Hyperkalemia?

**EDIT**: Ok, I have definitely heard of Hyponatremia, I've just always called it something else, so I understand the risk factors there...And actually because of that problem, I've always monitored everyone's water intake anyway. Obviously, I'd have to take extra care with her, and maybe force her to drink a gatorade instead.

Last edited:
UPDATE: (for those that care)

We aren't rolling for a few more weeks, so she's decided to get off of the spironolactone (again, she uses it for acne, nothing "major") so hopefully it'll be out of her system by then. A few weeks should be good for just about any drug right?

A few weeks should be good for just about any drug right?
Probably, yes. Perhaps she could also talk to her doctor about the hyperkalemia? If she tells him that she read about it and is worried it might affect her... It's not unheard of to perform regular serum potassium measurements when taking spironolactone.

Drinking Gatorade is always pro. Drinking water is really overrated, some juice, coke or sport drink is ten times better. :)

The likelihood of hyponatremia/hyperkalemia is really hard to assess. If you are warned beforehand, however, chance it will happen is of course much, much smaller. I think you'll manage just fine if you keep up the sensible attitude. Have fun! =D

Yeah, I would suggest she talk to her doctor about the hyperkalemia, but when I talked to her about this yesterday, she already said she's been dealing with that aspect of the drug for a while. Apparently she knew about THOSE dangers, and has already been taking measures to alleviate them (I don't know what those measures are).

Anyway, the first few times I took mdma were a mix between good experiences and bad, and every time I had a bad experience it was due to my ignorance about the facts.

Ever since I found out about this site my entire philosophy about rolling has changed, and I've made sure to be extra safe every time. The bonus? A great roll for myself, and the few people I've introduced to it.

I just wish there was a way for everyone to know about this site.