Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Joint rolling: Tips, tricks and your techniques

Dante

Bluelight Crew
Well, after making the best joint I've made in my life, I'm going to share the secret (blatantly stolen from www.jointen.dk but modified)...
You need:
  • Marijuana
  • 1 cigarette
  • 1 pack of king-size rolling papers
  • 1 piece of paper/funnel/similar equipment
Step 1Make a large joint filter like so: LINK
jointroll6.jpg

Once the filter is made, DISREGARD any other instructions...
Step 2
Roll a paper around the joint filter, starting about halfway along the filter. You can cut the paper to fit better if you desire, but I find it's easier to just roll a whole paper around it...
And if you start halfway along the filter, when the paper is sealed, you can slide it towards the larger end of the filter to give it a very tight seal.
Step 3
Chop up your marijuana (around 1.2 grams should fill one of these), and add approximately 1/4 of your cigarette to add some filler to the mix.
Step 4
Using a piece of paper, a funnel or other equipment, pour the chopped mix into the prerolled joint paper & filter, and pack tightly with a pen or something similar.
Step 5
Once the joint has been filled and packed, twist the very end of the paper together, and push flat against the end of the joint, like so:
joint7.jpg

You could even push it flatter against the end than in that photo...
Step 6
Light it up, mofo! You'll find that this will burn very well, however, be sure to not burn the underside of the joint too much. To counteract this, turn the joint 180 degrees when passing it/having another toke ;)
Now that I'm finished, anyone else please feel free to add their special joint tekniques... ;)
[ 02 May 2002: Message edited by: Dante ]

Tips for people who never seem to get the hang of rolling the damn things
  • Stand around at a party and wait for one to be passed to you (note: if this has not happened within half an hour then you are at the wrong party)
  • buy a pipe

Ah, but you don't need to get the hang of these joints, because you are rolling it empty, and filling it afterwards...
Basically, you spiral the kingsize paper around the filter, and fill... it's that simple!
(This is gonna turn into an infomercial in a sec...)

In the interests of harm minimisation you should
*use dry product
*roll tightly (not too tight so they don't burn)
*not use leaf
*use a long filter of PLAIN cardboard (no inks or dyes or bleaching)
*not mix with tobacco
Reasons:
Using a dry combustible and rolling so less air exists, reduces the amount of carbon monoxide formed (the most toxic thing about smoking). Leaf is worse than head for CO formation.
A long filter allows the smoke to cool better and this is undoubtedly better for you. Dante has the right idea here. Inks and dyes can produce hideous carcinogens when heated or burned, so don't use coloured cardboard.
Not mixing with tobacco is better for you. Less heat produced and less carcinogens. It may appear that mixing them makes the smoke is cooler, but it actually burns both your pharynx (throat) and your trachea (windpipe)
That being said, if you want a rolling technique which incorporates these principles:
After mulling well, begin by folding rather than rolling the paper. Tuck the first part under, fold and finally roll the last bit. Oh and stick the filter in afterwards, it helps to lessen air space by squeezing up the contents.

I don't trust someone who can't roll a blunt while peakin of there tits in the middle of a dancefloor filled with crazed ravers going nuts to Happy Hardcore. But in all serious my only advise is roll them before you go out as its a pain in the ass when your hands are shaking and you can't see for shit. (Ahh the memories)

Man, next party I go to, I'm so tempted to roll some of these that are the size of an arm or something...
They be good...

Personally i jsut empty out as cigi and then proced to stuff it pot (usally using a pen) to make it nice and tight.
Then take the butt and put a bit of cardboard in and ..... :) :) :)

Nice thread....but if i don't have a bong then i dont want to smoke it anyway!
Besides it pisses me off that i've never got the hang of the 3 tally-ho paper spliff :(
Off topic
How do i create rolling eyed smilies???

Whe hell do you mix it with tobacco???? I know that when I was in Europe, this tended to be the trend. Why would you want to smoke tobacco when you have weed? Europeans also tended to use filters...if you don't want to inhale harmful smoke...don't smoke weed. This can't possibly help that much without taking out THC. Also...pipes kick ass. Why roll when you can just load a bowl in a pipe ;)
[ 02 May 2002: Message edited by: SgtD82 ]

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I personaly use tobacco in my pot because i find straight dope has a cold choking sensation.
Mixed with tobacco you can actually feel it hit ya throat,rather than that cold choking :)
Besides straight pot feels like your smoking a 1mg ciggy...IMO

Tobacco is used as a fuel, because marijuana burns erratically in joints, and if you're using hash to make your joints it's imperative that you use tobacco because hash doesn't burn at all well. Also many people prefer tobacco in a bong mix because pulling a phat cone mixed with some nice toasted tobacco gives you a lovely nicotine rush to enjoy immediately while you're waiting to become stoned.

Here's another joint rolling method that I enjoy. Some of you may have found that when rolling that there just seems to be too much paper, or don't like the taste of cigarette paper particularly. Well, here is the tricky, but effective solution!

The Super Inside-Out Joint

Warning - this method doesn't use the prerolled, stuff-the-mix-and-pack-it-down beginner newbie joint rolling technique, but a much more difficult and manly cowboy tough guy professional rockstar method.

• Prepare the filter as normal - taking a strip of cardboard or thick paper (what else are 'rave' fliers for?), and tear a small rectangular piece off a corner. The method featured in Dante's original post is fine, as the accordion fold grate inside the filter acts to stop the mix coming straight through into your mouth when you smoke it.
  • Since we're making a super inside-out joint, this may require some practice. Take a rolling paper, and fold it backwards along the fold that runs lengthways along the paper, reversing the fold. The glue strip should face outward instead of inward. Lay the paper flat on the table, not erasing the crease along the middle but opening it up a little, ensuring the glue strip faces away from you.
  • Get your mix ready - this is obviously up to personal taste. I like to use about 2:1 mix of choof and tobacco, adding about 4-5 teaspoons of pulverised choof to the tobacco from one Marlboro Red cigarette (the kind that real men smoke). If you're using hash to make the joint then don't bother adding that yet, just get the tobacco ready.
  • Put the cardboard filter close to one end of the rolling paper, making sure the open end of the filter faces the end of the rolling paper. Roll the paper back and forth around the filter a few times so that the paper and the cardboard can become friends and fit together well. Put the paper with the filter back on the table, and open the paper without letting the filter fall out. Hold the filterless end of the rolling paper open, and with the other hand, add the mix, or just tobacco at this stage for a hash joint. Spread the mix evenly across the paper; hash can be added along the tobacco now, in a line along the middle of the tobacco. Pack the mix against the grate-end of the filter, as this will make the joint robust. If you pack more mix toward the open end of the paper, your joint will take on a conical shape. Leave about 1cm length of the open end empty, because the length of the mix will grow as you actually close and roll the joint.
  • Now, by this stage you should be just about able to taste it, because in front of you there's all the potential for a super joint: Paper, filter, nice amount of mix, and it's all ready to go. Now comes the trickiest part - the rolling. Techniques for rolling are as many and varied as there are strains of weed, however here is a quick description:

- Pick the paper with everything in it up with both hands, each end between your thumb and middle finger. Let both ends rest on your ring fingers, and relax your grip a little. Place your index fingers between the folds of the rolling paper, holding them open.
    - Slide your fingers towards the middle of the joint, making a rolling movement. When in the middle, slide back towards the ends with the same rolling movement. This will be more difficult with longer papers or multiple Tally-Ho's. The length of the mix rolled in the centre of the paper will grow as your roll it, so when it reaches the open end of the paper, just push it back in with a finger. If you have used too much mix, just save it for the next one.
    - Continue rolling in this fashion until your joint starts to take shape. The filter should always be tightly hugging the mix, for sturdiness, and the diameter of the mix at the filter end should be the same as the filter diameter. Try to ensure that the filter stays close to, but not quite over its end of the paper.
    - When you are satisfied that your joint is beautiful and is a marvel to look at, change your grip to have both ends resting on your middle fingers, holding with your thumbs and index fingers. By pressing your thumb and index finger together the paper should close. Slide both hands towards the middle and out again to smooth everything out... you may have some spillage here, but you can stuff the mix back in later with your Marlboro filter.
    - By now the mix should be rolled into a cylinder about the same firmness as a Marlboro filter, and the joint should be slightly conical, with the long edges of the paper brushing against each other every time you roll the joint back and forth.
  • Lickin' time... this can be nearly as difficult as the rolling, but having rolled a super joint everything should pretty much hold itself in place. At this stage you should be holding your joint with the glue strip along the length of the rolling paper facing out, not in, and away from you (which is where we started... if your glue strip is now on the inside, I have no idea how it got there, and your joint is going to be a boring normal joint instead of a groovy inside-out super joint). Now, roll the joint so that the paper edge with the glue strip gets shorter, and the paper on the close side facing you grows longer. When the glue side is small enough, roll back the other way, but make sure that the glue strip is rolled under the fold facing you. This may be tough, so try to learn to do this in one smooth roll, because once you start messing about to get the glue strip under... well you might as well go back to #1. If people are watching you and you fuck up totally at this point, you can save face by pretending that you're too drunk. Or, like in surgery ask that someone mops your brow and complain about the intense pressure.

One way I find really easy to fold in the strip is tuck it under with the index fingers and then use the thumbs to fold over the long side and hold it in place. Then releasing the index fingers and using the middle fingers, roll the joint up tight. You'll see the glue strip through the outer layer of paper, because the paper is very thin. Now... here comes the beauty of rolling inside-out joints - you can wet the sticky strip from outside the joint, licking in one smooth lick from filter to open end, along the glue strip you see through the outer paper. The saliva will seep through the outer layer of paper, thus wetting and sticking the joint closed with the glue strip. No need to go overboard, it's not a french kissing competition, just enough saliva to ensure that the entire glue strip is sufficiently moist.
  • The reason why the inside-out joint rolling method is famous worldwide, and is responsible for dramatically increased sex-lives of all its proponents, is not because it's so fiendishly difficult, but because it allows you to keep the amount of paper used to a minimum. At this stage the outer layer is wet, right along the line of the glue strip, so the paper is soft there. Carefully, and/or in one firm motion, tear off the strip of excess paper that is not rolled around the joint. It is my advice to tear in the direction that the paper is rolled, like separating the perforations on a cheque book, to avoid peeling away the glued seal. This results in a joint that is at once both gorgeous in appearance, and only has one layer of paper around the entire length.
  • The super inside-out joint is nearly completed... at this stage you may have an audience of rapt viewers who are enthralled by your skill and charisma (ok so they may also be salivating for the 'puff puff give'). Since you kept the filter close to, but not quite at the edge of the paper all the way through the process, there's a small amount of excess paper at that end. Tuck it inside the filter cylinder, making the joint stronger. At the other end, use the Marlboro filter in the opening to stuff spilling mix back in, or pack the mix a bit more tightly. When that is done, take the excess paper at the open end, and using your thumb and index finger, close that end tightly, then twist firmly to seal. Any excessively long twists can be bitten off or burnt like a wick when you blaze up the bad bitch.[/list=a]

The above steps will no doubt have provided you with the best joint you have ever smoked in your life, with a smooth draw, good clean taste and a nice high. If something went wrong at any stage, just repeat that step because every well-completed stage will contribute to a more professional product.

BigTrancer :)

[Edit: Fixed formatting destroyed in VB copyover. BT]

Last edited:
The test of a good joint roller is to be able to roll a straight one (not a trumpet) over twice the length of his middle finger. This is hard because you can’t brace the middle of the joint against your fingers. However if you practice folding first one end then the middle then the other end, you can end up with a creaseless result.
I once knew a guy who could roll his pre mulled dope with one hand. Yep, start to finish, including getting it on to the paper which was a sight to behold. When I ask him how he learnt such a technique, he said he was forced to when he dated a bossy girlfriend who liked to smoke during 4play ;)
I agree with BT about excess paper. Yuk - and no good for your throat. I use Zig Zag papers as they are very thin rice paper. (blues are best). I also prefer long thin joints as apposed to fat shorties, as the smoke is way cooler.

A few more thoughts on the topic of rolling your own.
If your someone who likes using tobacco (As I do) to keep the burn alive then using cigarette tobacco as opposed to rolling tobacco is better as its dryer and won't go out as often.
I personally prefer big chunks of green in my joint over small chunks. Don't entirely know why but I always get more stoned this way.
If your attempting to smoke a spliff in the outdoors and its really windy roll the fucker as tight as you can. In normal circumstances this will make the fucker go out all the time but in high wind you need it this tight so that it doesn't burn to fast therefore mother nature gets high not you.
Although big fat long spliffs are a nice work of art they aren't that great if your smoking on your pat molone (Unless of course you have BTs tolerance in which case go ahead ;) ). A nice single talo-ho paper will make the perfect joint for individual use.
For beginners its always easiest to add the filter last.
And last but not least. The real joint rolling artists will always use Cheek and Chongs 'Up in Smoke' example of a joint as something to emulate.

Why, this thread is Spliftacular!
Personally, if i'm having a night out, then joints/blunts are great, but if i want to get stoned instead of high, bongs are best.

It has to be buckets IMO.
Not for newbies of course
Ya need lungs of steel !!

I much prefer to use the King Size Smoking Slim (Gold) variety paper. Much thinner than the Tally-ho paper..almost like rice paper as you can see the green through it when you roll a number.
As Airwalk says tobacco from a ciggie will be drier but rolling with Drum/Bank/*insert your brand of rolling tobacco here* is much easier.
Best way to learn how to roll is to sit down one night and PRACTICE! Don't blow any j's until you've mastered it..or get close ;-) . Have a few packs of rolling papers of your choice ready, sit your self down and repeat the following: Roll, now tear it apart, get a fresh paper and roll again, now tear it apart, and roll again, now tear apart... Keep this up for a few hours and you'll be right!
Have fun!

phase_dancer: you think the one handed roll is impressive, I used to know a guy who could roll a joint while steering his manual Mini with his knees (he was VERY tall).
I in no way condone the actions of the person mentioned above! But I reserve the right to chuckle at it.
And BT was right: lads, the ability to quickly roll a quality spliff will get you chicks. Really.

BEST JOINT ROLLING TIP ANYONE EVER TOLD ME:
THE MOUSETRAP ROACH:
1. Cut/Tear a piece of card to look like this:
Code:
|_______________|
^make the bottom length a little shorter than you normally would, the top length a little longer.
Fold the longer bit into an M shape or a zig zag.
you should have something like this:
Code:
_____________/\/\
|...........|||||
|.........../\/\|
|...............|
|_______________|
Roll the rest of the roach around it.
Put the 'M' at the ash end, and the open end where your mouth goes.
The idea is that it increases the amount of carboard coming in contact with the ash, without severely reducing airflow.
(Best roach cardboard ever is metcards. Dont smoke the black bit, it tastes funny)

Last edited by a moderator: