Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

"Users say ecstasy cheaper than booze " - Bris Courier Mail 30.04.02

bluegirl

Bluelighter
I found this article yesterday in the Courier Mail.....
Users say ecstasy cheaper than booze
Siobhain Ryan
30apr02
A NIGHT out on ecstasy in Brisbane is cheaper than one spent at the pub, according to users.
But they claim increasing use of the party drug has spawned a new set of pressures, with more than three-quarters of users blaming ecstasy for relationship and money problems.
The report Queensland Party Drug Trends 2001, to be released today, found that the market for ecstasy in southeast Queensland is on the rise.
"This demand is increasing, the access to ecstasy appears to be improving and the price decreasing," it says.
"This trend will probably continue for as long as there is a thriving rave and dance culture scene."
The study, from the Queensland Alcohol and Drug Research and Education Centre at the University of Queensland, estimates the number of rave party venues in the Brisbane metro region has tripled in the past year.
At the same time, ecstasy has spilled over into more common community usage.
It has established itself in "coffee lounges, private homes and recovery sessions".
The annual survey of 126 southeast Queensland users found that most rate ecstasy as cheaper than drinking, partly because they can drive home "not under the influence of alcohol".
Alcohol and Drug Foundation Queensland chief executive officer Bob Aldred said the results highlighted a "very disturbing trend" – one that mirrored other studies that reported an 80 per cent jump in illicit drug use statewide.
"In my opinion, ecstasy does far greater damage in a different way than heroin does. It doesn't kill kids but it leaves them physical and mental wrecks," he said.
More than half of ecstasy users report symptoms ranging from insomnia and weight loss to tremors and heart palpitations, which they mostly attributed to the drug.
Psychological side-effects are common, ranging from confusion and memory loss to paranoia and panic attacks.
"We see the effects of people using ecstasy suffering from sleep deprivation, lack of nutrition and therefore loss of employment," Mr Aldred said.
"There's also a drug-induced psychosis we're seeing a lot of, that manifests itself as aggression and other psychotic behaviour."
Mr Aldred said one of the biggest problems was that ecstasy was often laced with other drugs, or substituted entirely with methamphetamines.
"So they don't know what they're buying, and that in itself has inherent dangers for young people," he said.
The number of ecstasy samples seized by Queensland Police dropped to 68 in 2000-01, down from 103 the previous financial year, with most containing only 20-50 per cent pure ecstasy.
The vast majority of ecstasy users, however, had no past convictions and had committed no crimes during the survey period.
Most had finished year 12, were in part or full-time employment and took multiple drugs – particularly alcohol, cannabis and tobacco – over the six-month survey period.
-----------------------------
overall i don't think this was a particularly bad article - but i have a few questions about the report. it said the report was "from the Queensland Alcohol and Drug Research and Education Centre at the University of Queensland" and went for six months. however, i'd really like to know who made up the sample and how the data was collected.
the report claims that more than three-quarters of users blamed ecstasy for relationship and money problems - that's a pretty big call so i'd like to know exactly who made up their population sample (sure, maybe over three-quarters of their sample expressed these concerns but that doesn't mean you can automatically extrapolate that to the wider ecstasy-using population.
however, i quite liked the part where mr alfred warned that one of the biggest problems associated with ecstasy use was the change of impurites or substitution of other drugs entirely.
too tired now, me go bed
bk

I'd rate this as being fairly disturbing and a display of blatent ignorance.
The annual survey of 126 southeast Queensland users found that most rate ecstasy as cheaper than drinking, partly because they can drive home "not under the influence of alcohol".
To me it seemed like yet another skeletal Courier Mail attack on ecstasy.
I agree that it was a good point about the impurities found in the drugs however, why couldn't they have gone into more detail? It was just an open-ended 'impurities' which implies anything from glass shards, to cocaine to glucose. They said that police seized and tested 68 pills and most contained low amounts of pure ecstasy, why didn't they care to share what was found in the pills. I also wonder if binders were included in the composition analysis of the pills?
To be frank, its all information which they've covered time and time again and with the little amount of useful information contained in these articles its apparent that they are more concerned with media sensationalism rather than educating.
I also love the title, almost as though it comes as a complete surprise that a night out on the pills is cheaper than on the booze. Do the math, in most clubs drinks are at least $5, $7-$10 for shots and cocktails don't even go there sister. Assuming you only need one pill @ a generous figure of $40-$50, i'd say the pill is the econo-option.

QLD Party Drugs Trends 2000
McAllister, Topp, Dawes, Watt, & Shuttlewood (2001)

I can't find the new report online yet, but it looks like an interesting survey of the price, purity, availability of a few street drugs. According to the notes in the link above, the 2000 report was based upon 50 current ecstacy users and 15 key informants who have contact with the party drug scene. I think that the new report is based on information from triple this number of users is a good step, statistically.
If anyone finds a link to the new report, please include it here, if possible, as it would be a good comparison.
BigTrancer :)

It's probably not online yet. Someone here should know
QADREC
School of Population Health UQ
Level 1 Public Health Building
Herston Rd. Herston Qld 4006
07-33655189

I actually had a bit to do with this study, and I'm also in fairly regular contact with the woman in charge of this study too, so any further questions, I'd be happy to answer.
People were recruited for this study through ads in street press, posters, and snow balling (people referring their friends). The recruits would call QADREC, and a face-to-face structured interview would be organised at a venue of mutual convienience. Participants were paid $20 for their contribution.
I can honestly say it was a pretty representative sample. All participants had to have consumed at least 6 Es in the previous 6 months (monthly E use). There was a wide range of people, including dealers, average users, crazy irresponsible users, intelligent smart users, and everything in between.
The study BT refers to was the first IDRS (Illicit Drug Reporting System - the name given to the body of research based on the Party Drugs study and an Injecting Drugs User study) and only had a smaller sample size (50 people) to test out the methodology etc. I'm not sure if the current report will be posted online in full...I'll make some enquiries on that one. You might keep an eye out for an IDRS in your state as well, because I believe they happen in every capital city.
One thing that the Courier Mail report failed to get across, was the number of relationship/money/health prblems were directly related to the number and frequency of E use. People who used Es once a month had few problems. People who used Es every weekend had more problems. By saying 75% had relationship problems, I think that probably means 75% were quite heavy users. I'll check this up too.
Oh yeah, one more thing...I'm not sure where the the idea that "rave" venues have trippled in Brisbane comes from...Any Brissy folks here would agree there has been steady decline in dance venues and events overs the last 5-7 years. The scene has shrunk, the parties are fewer and further between... I think someone is trying to create somekind of moral panic about the incidious growth of the dance scene, and therefore ecstasy. At least they reported E use actually happens everywhere (like the lounge room floor).
[ 02 May 2002: Message edited by: hardup ]

Go hardup - spot on. i know about 10 people who went for the free $20 bucks.. not a bad offer. Talk about drugs get paid.. kinda like bluelight, but without the fear of persecution.. oh and you get paid too ;) .
I shoulda participated, but meh, laziness is a curse.
Results are interesting, but if in a similar circumstance (ie being interviewed) i'd try to avoid saying things like "E is cheaper than a night on the piss" in any context as i could just picture the by-line in a CM story.

can anyone here honestly say that they take e every weekend and not have relationship/money/health problems?

well i can't even honestly say i take an e every weekend!!!
there are several reasons i'm so interested in this study. 1, i'm a brissy girl and ex-uq student (graduated last year), 2, i know people who participated in the study, and 3, i've done several 3rd year sociology subjects re. social research and survey design - and eventually i am planning on going back to do honours (i majored in criminology and i would like to do some research regarding crimes without a complainant, specifically focussing on illicit drug use) --> so this is why i am being a research nazi!! (nothing personal hardup, i think this is a very important area for further study).
i'm very interested with what you had to say hardup, and the issues i take with this article relate more to how the information gathered and analysed in the study and report has been presented more than the actual study/report themselves. no where in the article does it state that the participants of the study on which the report was based had to have consumed at least 6 e's in the previous 6 months in order to be eligble for the study. this makes a HUGE difference as it lets the reader know the report is based on a specific sub-group of illicit drug users.
I can honestly say it was a pretty representative sample. All participants had to have consumed at least 6 Es in the previous 6 months (monthly E use). There was a wide range of people, including dealers, average users, crazy irresponsible users, intelligent smart users, and everything in between.
this is not necessarily a representative sample - sure you're getting a cross-sample of a specific group of people (ie people who have used at least 6 e's in the previous 6 months) but in a true representative sample the proportions of the group are the same as in the population. based on the fact that your sample was made up of volunteers it is very hard to say that is truly representative (you’ve already created sample-bias). so again, this makes it very risky to extrapolate from the information gathered to the wider population.
hmmmmm, i think i’d be better off to actually read the report, as most of the things i am interested in and want to know were omitted from the newspaper article…….
bk
---------------
here's the link to the article, i forgot to post it originally
users say ecstasy cheaper than booze
[ 02 May 2002: Message edited by: blue kitten ]

I agree with the points you raise blue kitten.
The Party Drugs study focuses on several specific areas. It collects demographic info, drug use history, as well as price, purity and availability (of a range of drugs). It then looks at side effects of ecstasy including physical(some of which are actually deisred effects such as tingling sensations etc), social, financial, legal, work/study issues. It also looks at involvement in criminal activity including property crime, dealing, fraud and crimes involving violence. It also looks at the effects of police activity on the availability of Es.
To get this very specific information, the IDRS targets people who use quite regularly. The study wanted people who are "in touch" with the drug market place, and also somewhat aware of the types of effects to expect from various drugs, and a relative depth of experience with illicit drugs. The Party Drugs study is also pretty tightly focused on local areas (Brisbane/Gold Coast)and the dance scene in particular in these areas. Recruitment of participants is always the biggest issue in research like this, along with the conclusions people draw from that (very specific) sample group. Its unfortunate such issues will never come out via the Courier Mail, which is much more content reporting headlines such as those above.
I actually think Es are used by such a broad range of people these days it would be really hard to get a truly representative sample. It seems the average person uses Es these days, but how to you get to them? Its a really interesting area to consider.
Thanks for bringing this up blue kitten, because methodology issues usually get left out when people discuss research like this.
[ 02 May 2002: Message edited by: hardup ]

I actually think Es are used by such a broad range of people these days it would be really hard to get a truly representative sample. It seems the average person uses Es these days, but how to you get to them? Its a really interesting area to consider.
I wholeheartedly agree!
BigTrancer :)

You better make that two "rave" venues...
JaJa's closed down weeks ago...

I know of two couples, both over the age of 35, with children living the 'average' Australian lifestyle who can't get enough of ecstasy. Drinking for them is not an option at all. One such person, who is 43, takes ecstasy and goes clubbing once a month! No way is the sample group a true representation. A very hard task to quantify this...good luck though.

the empire is hardly a 'rave' venue!! :)
Dilate, beat, arena, tivoli and RNA.
RIP: JaJas and Matrix. (plus the worlds best club, which wasnt a 'rave' venue, MANTRA!!)
M
(i'm sure i saw a topic around here somewhere... ;) )

"The number of ecstasy samples seized by Queensland Police dropped to 68 in 2000-01, down from 103 the previous financial year, with most containing only 20-50 per cent pure ecstasy. "
In all my experiences the purity is given with reference to the total weight of the drug - i.e: the whole pill.
So hello, a 300mg pill with 30% MDMA ("pure ecstasy") and 70% inactive fillers/binders is highly desirable.
Unless they specify what other adulterants were found and additionally the relative amount of indeterminable chemicals found on the chromatograph (e.g from the reaction itself) the statement is useless and misleading.