Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What to do when someone gets into trouble

Smil-E

Bluelighter
I was thinking today about something I saw at 2 Tribes. While peaking I look behind me and this dude was convulsing on the floor. I tried to talk to him, and when i reached over to touch him his skin was so tough, all his muscles and contracted to their extent.
I ran for First Aid, and luckily by the time I had got back St Johns had already got him off the floor and started treating him.
It got me a little shaken up, because I didnt know what to do.
Who really knows what to do if someone starts to have a problem? I always try and talk to them, but is there something more? Waht are everyones thoughts? What should I have done if there was no First Aid at the Event?

I wouldn't mind finding out how tio deal with these situations aswell.

Enroll in a St Johns Ambulance course... I've been meaning to do the training again, as I did basically the equivilant to level one in high school - but I'm a bit rusty now...
In fact, this gives me an idea for a thread! :)
[ Edit: This one!!! ]
[ 29 April 2002: Message edited by: Pleonastic ]

If you don't know what to do, the best thing is to find someone that does! When you enter a venue, locate the First Aid beforehand, so you know where to find them in a hurry. If you call an ambulance, let security know, as they may need to open doors to let them in quickly.
If someone appears to be having a seizure, once you've summoned help (whether First Aid or an ambulance) make room for the person so they don't hit anything. You can put something soft like a jacket under their head so they don't smack it on the ground. Don't put anything in their mouth. If they have a tight collar on, loosen it. Once the seizure is over, you can turn them on their side (the recovery position). That's all you can really do until the seizure stops. You can then help the ambo's by clearing space for them to get in and out.
I've been meaning to write a FAQ on this for ages ("When to call an ambulance") and I have written a "Drug Use and Medical Emergencies" leaflet for enlighten that I'll put up here shortly.

An old one here...
This chapter explains the medical nature of deaths and problems caused by ecstasy, particularly overheating. There are help sections on different levels, from the ordinary person to hospital staff. The first explains what to do if you are out with friends and one gets ill. It tells how you can help someone who has had a fit, or collapses. The next is for those trained in first aid and paramedics. Last, there is a section aimed at staff working in hospital emergency units. A section for night club owners shows how they can provide support and how to handle casualties.

I'm surprised that ecstasy.org is still there, it's been a while, huh? ;)
I'd have to second the 'find somebody who *does* know' approach... and if the promoters haven't organised first aid, you shouldn't be supporting them in the first place, IMHO...
:)
[ 30 April 2002: Message edited by: yossarian.lives ]

^^
Jebus man, its been ages since I've seen you on here!

To quote from the boy scouts...Be Prepared.
Get along and do a first aid course. Some of them are relatvely cheap. Also, check around various community organisations...They often have free CPR type courses.
HARDUP is currently on a bit of a CPR training frenzy. Given the recent GHB ODs in Brisneyland, we figure the more people out there who know CPR the better. If your in Brisbane and want to come along to one of HARDUPs free CPR training sessions, drop us an email...But, be warned... Popular demand means that it'll be at least a month before we have some free space. You also get a pretty certificate for this training as well. We'll probably start running CPR training at various dance party events around town as well, so if you don't get in now, keep your eyes peeled for people vigorously massaging a CPR dummy at a niteclub near you!

I did a St Johns First Aid course a while back, haven't been fucked renewing it, but I remember the basics.
I've never had to use that knowledge, and I hope I never have to, but its there.
-plaz out-

Hey hardup...fellow brisvegan here...
Just a quick suggestion regarding CPR training @ events...just make sure people aren't off chops..because really, how much are people going to take in with major shudder vision, and all the other fun stuff associated with being on drugs? ;)
If i was wanting to learn CPR (i've got my FAC) i'd much prefer to learn in an environment that was quiet, etc, so that i could fully focus on the job at hand :)
But big thumbs up for putting in an effort to generate awareness...not enough of that up here IMHO
K
[ 30 April 2002: Message edited by: samadhi ]

Jebus man, its been ages since I've seen you on here!
Two ears and only one mouth, Soma!! Always learnt more around here using them in that ratio... ;)
hehe, ten fingers though, hmmm....
*back to lurking*

if nothing else is available at the time, and you are too altered to remember anything more from your CPR class, remember your ABC's - Airways, Breathing, Circulation.
ribs/sternum will break when you initiate chest compressions, so dont get too freaked out.

If you're breaking ribs, you're compressing WAY too fucking hard.
You should compress, but not fucking flatten, otherwise you're liable to kill them by puncturing their lungs and internal organs with broken ribs.
-plaz out-

^^What he said. I agree with samadhi, it's hard to imagine people at events being able to learn how to do CPR. Picture this:
Instructor: now form a seal with your mouth over their mouth, and breathe out
Dude: awwww, it feels so gooood...it's like having a thousand orgasms and eating Blue Ribbon ice-cream all at once...
Instructor: er, (looks concerned) now compress the chest
Dude: awwww, look at the lights! the lights! ....now they're gone
Instructor: now compress the chest again
Dude: aww the lights, look at the lights!...now they're gone..I fucking love this track! (runs off)
And so on... ;)
[ 30 April 2002: Message edited by: babydoc_vic ]