Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Codeine

Eckythump

Bluelighter
If i do the extraction method in erowid what would be the best way to evaporate the liquid so i can get powder?
id usually use the oven to evaporate stuff but
Most sources recommend that codeine not be stored at temperatures in excess of 40C (104F),

I'd recommend putting it in a very shallow baking tray or glass dish, so it's over as large an area as possible, then putting it somewhere dark and dry for a while, and letting it evaporate naturally.
Codeine is pretty fragile in this form. So don't expose to light or heat.
I'd say just drink the stuff straight off, it's easier.
-plaz out-

I read on an extraction site that codine starts to be ruined at about 40°C, so you're better off not heating it at all... if you want to evaporate you might just have to let it sit for a while and evaporate naturally (although I have no experience with doing this so that's just a guess)...
I'll go try and find where I read that - until then don't take it as gospel... :)
{edit}
The site where I think I got the 40°C information has been taken down, so if anyone else can back that up (or prove it wrong) it'd be appreciated... :)
[ 22 April 2002: Message edited by: Pleonastic ]

^^^^^
Probably is 60... I'm sure there's a 40 in there somewhere though... maybe that's the temp of the water to use...
Hmmmmmmm...
But enough of that I think... not sure if details of a full codine extraction are really needed here... heh heh... ;)

Why would you want to make a powder out of the codeine? It's very convenient in liquid form, as you can easily administer orally. Codeine is quickly absorbed from the GI tract and very little loss of codeine occurs in the first pass through the liver (cf. 90% removal of morphine on first-pass metabolism).
Most OTC Codeine Extraction recipes seem to recommend using hot tap water to initially dissolve the tablets prior to filtration. Depending on the hot-water system of the building you're in, this may be anywhere between 50-70 degrees or more. Most storage information for codeine containing pharmaceuticals states that they should be stored under 40deg C and preferably between 10-30deg C out of direct sunlight. I can't find reasons for this - perhaps it's merely to preserve the integrity of the binders that shape the tablets, perhaps it's damaging to the codeine to be outside this temperature range. I did find one reference stating that the flash point of codeine is 75deg C but I doubt anyone will be placing codeine powder in the oven waiting for it to catch fire...
BigTrancer :)

You should be able to dissolve about 40g (yes, that's grams) of codeine in 100mL of 31 degree Celcius water. Cool the water to 21 degrees and you should be able to dissolve more than 140g in the same volume. In the corresponding volume of water, you can only fit 1.4g paracetamol (31deg) or 0.66g paracetamol (21deg). So it's obvious that the solubility of these chemicals is working in your favour.
This means that there's no need to drink bucketfuls of bitter flavoured water. Just dissolve your codeine dose in a shot of water and swallow it with a SMILE like a MAN, dammit.
BigTrancer :)

Its not that its bad to drink (it's better than chewing a pill) its that i want to put in in a cap with MDMA+speed for a rave