Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Bris News Article - "Fantasy's fatal flaw - Courier Mail - 19/4/02

Maxi

Bluelighter
FANTASY'S FATAL FLAW
With sniffer dogs set to check dance club patrons for illicit substances, staff writers, Simon Lomax , Liam Walsh and Joel Dullroy find that the popular designer drug Fantasy is a growing menace to society....
I'll tye the rest up later... this is just a teaser ;) It wasnt up on their web site when i checked last.
M

Fantasy's fatal flaw Relevancy: 100; ( The Courier-Mail (Brisbane, Australia) ) Simon Lomax, Liam Walsh, Joel Dullroy; 04-19-2002 Size: 8K Reading Level: 9.
With sniffer dogs set to check dance club patrons for illicit substances, staff writers Simon Lomax, Liam Walsh and Joel Dullroy find that the popular designer drug fantasy is a growing menace to young lives.' It's tasteless and it can be easily dropped onto someone else's drink without them knowing'
A YOUNG woman walks into her first rave party. A security guard searches her bag and finds nothing suspicious. But she is carrying drugs -- outside the venue a stranger sold her a vial of ``liquid ecstasy' ' for $20. The vial was poured into a drink bottle, which the woman quickly consumes before she starts to dance. Feelings of euphoria kick in about five minutes later, and the woman looks forward to a night of non-stop dancing.
But before long her energy is sapped. Confused, she leaves the main dance area and finds a seat. Drowsiness leads to unconsciousness and then her breathing stops.
This is the nightmarish scenario which drug experts and paramedics fear will soon lead to the death of a young man or woman at a rave party event.
The illegal and potentially lethal drug is fantasy -- a colourless and odourless liquid derived from surgical anaesthetic. The drug is believed to have caused two near-fatal overdoses in Brisbane and two more on the Gold Coast in less than a month.
The drug goes by a series of other names including liquid ecstasy or liquid X -- a dangerous deception, according to Alcohol and Drug Foundation chief executive Bob Aldred.
Aldred says that when fantasy is sold under those names, the unwary user thinks they are getting ecstasy -- an amphetamine-based stimulant. Although also illegal, ecstasy is popular among many who attend raves or other nightclubs with electronic music because it keeps them dancing all night. But fantasy does exactly the opposite.
``Fantasy is more like heroin,''
Aldred says. ``It depresses the central nervous system.''
In small doses, the drug produces euphoria and relaxation and can even act as an aphrodisiac.
But Aldred warns that unlike stimulants such as ecstasy, fantasy can have deadly consequences.
``The normal dosage is very small,'' he says. ``The dose only has to increase marginally to shut down your central nervous system and respiratory system.''
Such was the recent experience of a Brisbane man and woman, both in their early 20s.
The man collapsed in a Fortitude Valley car park about 7am on Saturday after a night of dancing with friends. It is believed he took fantasy less than two hours before his collapse. Paramedics rushed the man to the Prince Charles Hospital at Chermside, in Brisbane's north, and he was later put on life support. Against the advice of doctors, he checked out less than 24 hours later, but is expected to recover fully.
The woman had a much closer brush with death after attending the all- night Advent'jah rave festival at Brisbane's RNA Showground last month.
Paramedics were called to the woman's aid at 5.45am after she collapsed. An ambulance rushed her to the Royal Brisbane Hospital; on the way her breathing stopped. She was revived by paramedics and remained in intensive care for two days.
Ambulance clinical support officer Dave Wharton says the woman was
very lucky to have escaped death or brain damage.
``If she hadn't had the proper treatment early she would have had a hypoxic brain injury and severe cerebral irritation which could have led to her death,'' Wharton says.
The fresh wave of fantasy overdoses began on the Gold Coast in mid- March. Seven people collapsed in a number of locations, and two of those were placed on life support after they stopped breathing.
DOCTORS issued a warning about the near-fatal overdoses, but health professionals still fear the drug -- which sells at between $8 and $20 a ``hit'' -- is growing in popularity as a cheap alternative to ecstasy.
``We've had an increase in cases relating to fantasy use since Christmas, '' paramedic Wharton says.
``Before then, ecstasy was quite prolific, but fantasy seems to have
taken over.''
Wharton says that if users of fantasy and other recreational drugs ignore warnings about the varying strengths of illegal narcotics, they could end up dead.
``It's like putting a gun to your head,'' he says. ``You've got no idea at all what's in them.''
Aldred also warns potential fantasy users against complacency.
``At some point of time someone's going to die from this,'' he says.
But regular users and dealers of designer narcotics such as fantasy say overdoses mostly occur when the inexperienced buy drugs from strangers.
Teens say the drug scene at rave parties and nightclubs revolves around small-time dealers who sell only to friends.
``Nobody buys from a stranger in a club because everybody knows it' s not safe,'' one clubber says.
``You don't know what you are getting. People buy from friends they trust who usually have tested the pills. You wouldn't consider buying from anyone at a rave -- the risks are too high.''
Aldred is quick to point out that over the long term, supposedly ``safe' ' drug use can have a range of catastrophic side effects, including psychotic breakdown.
But also of deep concern is the threat of someone overdosing on fantasy without realising they've even taken the drug. Aldred says there is a growing fear that fantasy has been used to ``spike'' drinks.
Wharton shares that fear.
``It's tasteless and it can be easily dropped into someone else's drink without them knowing,'' he says.
Fantasy's sedative effects lower inhibitions.
The growing frequency of overdoses also has brought security at nightclubs and rave events under scrutiny.
Rave organisers such as Advent'jah
co-ordinator Jason Kinniburgh say everything humanly possible is being done to keep drugs out and protect people's lives.
Kinniburgh says nine St John Ambulance personnel and 16 Rave Safe volunteers attended Advent'jah.
The safety measures won the praise of the Queensland Intravenous AIDS Association, which says the woman who suffered a fantasy overdose could have died without such a ``safety net'' in place.
Kinniburgh says most drug users would have purchased their drugs beforehand. He says six uniformed police officers and 50 security guards were on patrol inside the event.
BUT security industry sources say high workloads and the actions of rogue guards make it impossible to stop drugs finding their way inside nightclubs and rave festivals.
Australian Executive Protection Group director Andrew Murray says up to 10 per cent of bags at major festivals are not checked properly.
The sheer numbers of people and the inexperience of some guards also makes detection difficult.
Chris Nielsen, operations manager of security firm Aces Queensland, says even with perfect bag checks, patrons can ``secrete items anywhere' '.
There was no sure-fire way besides strip-searching, obviously not a viable option.
A rogue element of security guards is also suspected of selling drugs while being paid to keep them out, Advent Security Services general manager Ray Watson says.
He says the allegations relate to nightclubs rather than major raves.
Murray says he has heard similar allegations, but only a ``small percentage' ' of guards are suspect.
``I don't think it's widespread,'' he says.
Simon Lomax, Liam Walsh, Joel Dullroy, Fantasy's fatal flaw. , The Courier-Mail (Brisbane, Australia), 04-19-2002, pp 015.

"a colourless and odourless liquid derived from surgical anaesetic"
WTF??!!
they were doing so well too.

Hey look they've decided ecstasy isn't deadly... good un!
But Aldred warns that unlike stimulants such as ecstasy, fantasy can have deadly consequences

It's tasteless? ...I think not! ...I wish it was tasteless, especially 1,4b, that stuff is horrid...
Comparable to Heroin?
Pfft, you'd think the chief executive of the Drug and Alcohol Foundation would know better...

...It is believed he took fantasy less than two hours before his collapse.
pity that the 'fanta' would have worn off by then :)
also... derived from surgical anaesthetic??? let me guess.. it is a special mix of Ketamine and Nitrous, right?? ;) ;) ;) ;) (<- multiply winky faces)
Gotta love brisbane!!
M

i think that it is VERY intereting that a certain bris promotor (no names) who has issued a warning that anyone caught dealing G at any of his/her events will receive an immediate life-long ban. now while it is good that this person is taking steps to ensure the safety of punters i heard through the grapevine that this person also (ALLEGEDLY) gave away free pills to some guy i know. greeeeeeeat - way to be hypocritical!!
basically, there is just a mass hysterical back-lash against g happening here in bris - it is the latest moral panic. what shits me most about the above article is all the miss-truths and misinformation it is promoting. i see no point in doing that - it will only result in confusing and creating the potential for people to fuck themselves up more..... GRRRRRRRRRR.
bk
[ 21 April 2002: Message edited by: blue kitten ]

The Courier Mail will be worthy of an award for dodgy journalism. It as though the editorial staff is from somewhere else. Only one decent unbiased and reasonably accurate article have I seen - the one about water in clubs (Joel Dullroy) posted some months ago. Strange thing is we now buy the bloody paper every day....wouldn't want to miss anything.
But how do you rate the harm potential of a substance?
If it is by how many people after taking it are admitted to hospital suffering a life threatening condition, then G is up there. Just ask harm minimisation groups how many have had to be referred to emergency personnel since G compounds became popular.
Mass hysteria maybe, and I'm not saying G can't be taken safely, it’s just that you are far less likely to die if you have a bit too much MDMA, as is with most other drugs. It's that simple.
As for the Brisbane promoter mentioned. It’s not hard to see his position. It comes down to consequence. If there is none, the promotion business goes about as normal. But normal doesn’t equate to easy in this business. Constant demands form the public, police, health and council. Not to mention insurance. It’s all demand, little is offered back. Groups are out to undermine you at every opportunity.
To gain respect from all these areas, as well as from punters is quite an achievement. From what I’ve heard, there is a threat towards future permits etc., because of this mass hysteria. What sensible promoter (not on a suicide mission) would say otherwise if pressured to do so? Not many I know of – who are at least successful. So don’t look at it as a loss of integrity, but rather of a preservation of something greater ;)
Be thankful we have events like Adventjah, Brisbane people, even if you feel you’ve grown out of them. Somewhat commercial these events may be, but the Brisbane rave scene has a lot to thank such people for. Lose these promoters, and Brisbane could easily fit the description often given by southerners who have never visited for an ultimate raving experience.

Good points to bring up phase ... :) The big picture...
It almost seems as though the "punters" of brisbane need to be protected from themselves. It's just a shame that the handful of responsible users pay the price :(
[ 21 April 2002: Message edited by: samadhi ]

I disagree with the comment that G might have not been the cause of the person due to the time frame. I from personal experience usually seem to be affected from one dose of G (well, 1,4) from any time from 1-4 hours (and its been seen by some others). Just remember, just what the usual affects on the general population doesn't mean its the BLACK LINE for the rest of the population, there can be the small percentage (albeit it may be very small but if you're part of that low figure and actually try it *boom*).
Drugs are a grey area when it comes to stastics, so please remember.. What works for you and all your friends doesn't mean it will always be the norm for others.
i.e I am allergic to panadine forte and taking one tablet of it almost kills me (well in regards to feelings of PAIN and wanting to die)..
Basically the point I'm just trying to say is, Im a definite statement nazi. There is always that small percentage of people that drugs can have a adverse horrible affect on and we have to remember there is that chance that these people might try that drug that can cause terrible reactions on a small dose (yes, its a SMALL percentage but it can happen!)

Any Brisbane folks wanting to get involved in a bit of a campaign around the GHB stuff, send us an email.
We're looking at getting some kind of resource out (even though we have very little money) and we're looking at forming somekind of working party, including promoters, club owners and punters. First task might be a media release to Sunday Mail correcting some of the crap they are coming out with. Any ideas of a particular approach to this issue would be most appreciated. We'd prefer a ground-up response, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

tars; that's a bit worng, taking the heroin quote out of context. in context he is perfectly right:
Imagine what he would have said before sub-editors decided to save a few words:
Bob Aldred: GHB, as it is properly known, is not a stimulant, as Ecstasy is. In fact it is the opposite; it is a central nervous system depressant.
Journo: Like heroin?
Bob: Well yes, you could say that I guess. It is more like heroin than an amphetamine.
But that's too wordy so it ends up in print as:
But fantasy does exactly the opposite. ``Fantasy is more like heroin,'' Aldred says. ``It depresses the central nervous system.''
Thankfully the spirit of what he said came through, and it is still factually correct. It's just unfortunate that "heroin", the word that makes every recreational drug user get all jumpy, was used.
I stress again I don't realy know what happened, or what Bob Aldred actually said, I'm just trying to illustrate what happens in the media process.

jb- i can see what u are saying, but i'm sure that he didn't need to think twice before throwing the H word in there... considering that to the general public it is the most 'evil' out of all the drugs.
another point: the side bar article refers to a concoction (sp?) called pineapple which is a mix of GHB and heroin. WTF???
gee... nothing masks that G, sorry, fanta taste better than a big heaped spoonfull of H!! ;) ;)
M

maxi: Ummm try looking at the larger context. This is the guy who said such positive things about harm minimisation in the other major new story featured here, the Courier Mail story on testing.
I keep saying this again and again; relexively believing the worst about people/institutions, from the limited information you get from a media soundbite, is just as shallow as the reporting the media does. Take everything with a grain of salt, and look further into the issue with your own research. Has Bluelight taught you nothing? :)

JB: You may be right and what Aldred said may have been edited so much that it comes across differently... Regardless what was printed is what people are going to see as what he said, they aren't going to theorise as you have...
It is correct that GHB is a CNS depressant, as Heroin is, but they way he was quoted makes it seem as if he is saying GHB is like Herion, and its a CNS depressant too, not that they simply both have CNS depressant properties...
It's amazing what a difference a bit of white space can make...
If the editors had a hand in the end result, then I hereby direct my disgust at them, but if Aldred did make that comment as it was printed, I'm disappointed... But as you said, there is a big picture, and that picture shows a better side to Aldred than that simple statement portrays...

sorry... i'm not saying it wasn't fanta... i just dont like that term, it is toooo loose.
i'd prefer if GHB (or Na-GHB) or 1,4b was used.
wazza - true, the effects can last awhile, but from personal experience and that of others, if it is going to put you into a 'G sleep' then that ususally happens quite quickly... not 2 hours later.
M

Maxi.. i know we've had words about what people call this particular drug.. so i wont go there again. I dont know if it was 1,4b or GHB. Thats why i put fanta, sorry, my bad. :)
I'm inclined to agree with you, if its going to send you into a g-nap, it'll happen within up to an hour (from what i've seen) but not 2 hours later.
From what i understand, (from friends of his) the person in the article hadnt done a lot of Fanta and had 10mls that morning. Which is ALOT considering the strength in Brissy ATM.