Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

beep beep...excuse me sir

phase_dancer

Bluelight Crew
beep beep…Excuse me Sir
Brisbane paper ‘The Courier Mail’ posted this front page story yesterday.
‘Queensland Police could soon use drug sniffer dogs and hand held detection devices at public events such as youth rave parties and outdoor rock festivals.
Police minister Tony McGrady yesterday gave the green light to use the controversial investigative aids in police searches and drug raids. Senior police said that if the specially trained powder sniffing dogs and machines delivered the expected results, their use could be expanded to rave parties, outdoor musical festivals and other areas popular among drug-users.’
[Here’s a scary good bit!]
‘The highly sensitive ion scanner machines can detect vapours and trace particles of a range of drugs, including cocaine, heroin, cannabis, amphetamine, ecstasy and the date rape drug GBH [wrong abbreviation again: phase] within 15 seconds of exposure… ’
The rest of the article goes on about the usual police justification, with a comment or two from a true public servant Terry O’Gorman about civil liberties, and another from Youth Advocacy Center Director Paul Spooner claiming dogs and scanners were a blanket measure where any person would be made to feel like a criminal.
Mental Picture of future headline: Stolen police scanners used by ravers to locate the best drugs
I bet they would be worthy little devices though. The article states 2 handheld meters cost $140,000. US customs has had them for years, and rumors abound that Aus customs has em as well.
Does this mean future drug dealers be wearing ion beam deflective clothing? ;)
Lets imagine the probable outcome if these scanners were to be introduced and proved “effective”.
1) Punters would party at home more. Not necessarily less dangerous, but perhaps more difficult to reach with emergency assistance.
2) People would be more tempted to swallow all before going in to a club/ party / whatever. The thinking drug manufacture could also coat tablets, making them dissolve slowly.
3) Suspicion would rise between the public and harm minimisation groups effectively undoing trust developed, trust that saves lives.
In the end I don’t think much would be gained by the police by using scanners. Most likely they would get mainly small users and the odd not so smart dealer. And like you all I can think of many things that 140k could be better spent on.

How `bout sparing a thought for the poor drug sniffing doggies.
If they wandered into a large scale dance festival or were even posted on the door, I bet the poor things would be sent into a mad frenzy before the first 50 ppl were thrrough the gate. [woof woof...aarrrgghh...too much stimulation!!]
and yes, customs do already have ion scanners, but not so sure about the handheld numbers. very effective they are too, i'm told.

hahahaha, at raves those things would just me max'd out in every direction from raver sweat in the air.

so thats what the ion cannon does
it can see drugs from space, no wonder NOD got owned

Chem: I thought the same thing, it'd be set off by almost every piece of clothing I own...
Sounds like the government throwing joe public a bone to show they're doing something about this "war on drugs".

I am SO fucking sick of GHB being labelled a 'date rape drugs'.
I'm sure there are cases where it has been used for rape, however most of these are when combined with alcohol. It is painfully obvious this is merely a ploy by the authorities to make it's use seem quite perverted, indeed ONLY ever used by rapists upon their victims.
GBH on the other hand is a different matter....

Yet again,lets blame the drugs and not the people misusing them!?! They have had ion scanning devices for quite awhile now so i dont know why this is such ground breaking news on the fight against drugs, or could it just be to look good in the eyes of their adoring public! What next, enforcement of the crack house laws!?! S.

Not to be off-topic but:
roflmfao@Dogah... thats one of the funniest things ive read in months man :)