• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids detoxing in MMT

tryingsohard2011

Greenlighter
Hi,
For those in methadone maintenance I have a question:

I've been in MMT for almost a year and was at my stable dose for 8 months so I started detoxing Jan 1st. I have been going down every week on wednesday by 10mgs, I was at 135mg and now I am at 55mg. I feel great! However I am starting to crave opiates just a little and thinking about them a lot (don't know if thats the same thing) I have not been having any withdraws, I feel wonderful and I do not want to relapse but if for some reason I decide I just want to get it out of my system and get a buzz one last time, what do you think it would take for me too? or would I just be wasting pills? My fav way of using was banging and snorting, so I had a HIGH tolerence! I was taking around 800mg a day when I started MMT.
Everyone says the w/ds from detoxing methadone are horrible and I am doing wonderful! Thats another question, Has anyone sucessfully detoxed off methadone and stayed clean? and if I did try to get a buzz would I screw up all my progress I have done with detoxing?
Please Be nice with your answers, I have seen some pretty judgemental comments and I am pretty sensitive right now because my Best guy friend just died monday (another reason for wanting to get high)
Thanks for your help! :)

Hi,
For those in methadone maintenance I have a question:

I've been in MMT for almost a year and was at my stable dose for 8 months so I started detoxing Jan 1st. I have been going down every week on wednesday by 10mgs, I was at 135mg and now I am at 55mg. I feel great! However I am starting to crave opiates just a little and thinking about them a lot (don't know if thats the same thing) I have not been having any withdraws, I feel wonderful and I do not want to relapse but if for some reason I decide I just want to get it out of my system and get a buzz one last time, what do you think it would take for me too? or would I just be wasting pills? My fav way of using was banging and snorting, so I had a HIGH tolerence! I was taking around 800mg a day when I started MMT.
Everyone says the w/ds from detoxing methadone are horrible and I am doing wonderful! Thats another question, Has anyone sucessfully detoxed off methadone and stayed clean? and if I did try to get a buzz would I screw up all my progress I have done with detoxing?
Please Be nice with your answers, I have seen some pretty judgemental comments and I am pretty sensitive right now because my Best guy friend just died monday (another reason for wanting to get high)
Thanks for your help! :)

You would be wasting your time in my experience. As long as you have been on done and at that level you wouldn't even be able to get high off of heroin.

Once you get stable on a low level you might be able to, but it will take a lot and it will be expensive and disappointing compared to before MMT.

I have been through this myself and I would urge you to not give into the cravings. You can get clean with help and outside support.

You won't start feeling WD's too bad until you get under 20mg/day and then it will be horrible. I would suggest trying to switch to suboxone at that point so you can come down easier.

If you really want to get clean you need to get your mind right and have a lot of support. You should go to NA/AA meetings and change your whole outlook before you make the jump or you will likely relapse.

I hope you take it seriously, if you need anything feel free to PM me. There are a lot of people that have been through the same thing and would be more than willing to help you through it.

Good luck,
David

^Great post, Ripamaru. I will just add on a little bit.

I understand the craving to get high while tapering down can become pretty annoying, I sympathize with you. I am on MMT as well and know what it is like. But let me tell you though, that attempting this is basically a waste of time money and drugs. Even though you are down to 55mg, that is still enough to basically nullify the joyful effects of other opiates. You would have to do a serious amount to get high, and even so it would be dulled. All the bad without the good. I am on 75mg daily, and 300mg of oxycodone does nothing, even after waiting three days without dosing. Shooting 5 bags of good dope does nothing as well.

Not to mention it isn't worth it, it will just potentially fuck up your taper and could jeopardize your recovery. Just stick with your taper, buddy. You seem to be doing great, and getting high again could throw that all away.

I am really sorry to hear about your friend, but trying to do one more shot or whatever is going to be futile at best. You don't want to end up overdosing, and dying yourself now, do you?

As hard as it may seem, just stick with your taper my friend. You will be grateful in the end that you didn't try and chase that high one last time.

Good luck

Mike

thank you!

Thank you for the advice! I am not going to give into my cravings! MMT has turned my life into a wonderful one and I am closing on a brand new 4 bedroom house friday and if I was still on pills i would never be able to do that because I wouldnt be able to afford it! I have taken my treatment seriously this entire time and I am not going to F it up now! My friend died not of OD but of a car accident, and what pisses me off is he turned his life around a month after me! Once he saw me on methadone and how it changed me for the better he went to my clinic and had done a 360 with his life! He even quit selling them and was looking to open his own motorcycle repair business! I don't understand why he had to die when he wanted to live a good life! His brother is the exact opposite and when I was on pills he robbed me of a grand when he was suposed to get me some ocs. He also robbed his brother friend at gunpoint, I guess he didn't rob me at gun point because Im a girl and thought he could over power me.
So how slow should I go from 20mg? like a mg a week? will that be enough to not be agony? I have a script of benzos so that should help i have heard, i hope! I think alot is mind over matter but I know it is physical though!
I will not give into my cravings, I would like to have someone to talk to like a coach whose been through MMT and detoxed sucessfully and is clean. All my friends were cheerleaders and goodie goodies in school and none of them know Im an addict. Im 29 and have managed to hide it from them since i was 21! I even lived with my BF and she had no idea!
What is the worst WD you get when coming of methadone? and will you still get wds if you go 1mg a week?
thanks guys! :)

1mg a week should be fine, once you get to 20mg. If you feel its too fast just hang out at whatever dose you are on for another week or two to get used to it. No matter how slow you taper you will still get some w/d when finally jumping off. I know it sounds retarded but seriously try and go all the way down to 1mg. This way the w/d will be more than bearable. Probably just a little annoying. Very minor, physically. Mentally is where it will get you, though. Insomnia and shit. the PAWS is the worst part and could last a long time.

Check out the Methadone Mega Thread (link in my signature) for a large amount of information. I will probably end up merging this thread with that one a little later on, to keep things organized.

Thank you for the advice! I am not going to give into my cravings! MMT has turned my life into a wonderful one and I am closing on a brand new 4 bedroom house friday and if I was still on pills i would never be able to do that because I wouldnt be able to afford it! I have taken my treatment seriously this entire time and I am not going to F it up now! My friend died not of OD but of a car accident, and what pisses me off is he turned his life around a month after me! Once he saw me on methadone and how it changed me for the better he went to my clinic and had done a 360 with his life! He even quit selling them and was looking to open his own motorcycle repair business! I don't understand why he had to die when he wanted to live a good life! His brother is the exact opposite and when I was on pills he robbed me of a grand when he was suposed to get me some ocs. He also robbed his brother friend at gunpoint, I guess he didn't rob me at gun point because Im a girl and thought he could over power me.
So how slow should I go from 20mg? like a mg a week? will that be enough to not be agony? I have a script of benzos so that should help i have heard, i hope! I think alot is mind over matter but I know it is physical though!
I will not give into my cravings, I would like to have someone to talk to like a coach whose been through MMT and detoxed sucessfully and is clean. All my friends were cheerleaders and goodie goodies in school and none of them know Im an addict. Im 29 and have managed to hide it from them since i was 21! I even lived with my BF and she had no idea!
What is the worst WD you get when coming of methadone? and will you still get wds if you go 1mg a week?
thanks guys! :)

Yes that is a good taper level in theory but you will have to feel it out yourself.

If the methadone WD is too painful for you it is possible to switch to subs for a while which don't have nearly as bad of a WD from most accounts.

I would really suggest you go to some NA meetings for guidance. There are a lot of people that have successfully quit in NA and they will do more for you than most peoples family would. It is a really great source of support and the best way to stay clean IMO.

Everyone I know who has kicked done successfully has gone through NA. Don't be afraid to do it.

Good luck,
David