Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

what exactly r the differences and dangers of MDA MDMA MDXX etc etc

braveheart

Bluelighter
generally speaking mdma is what everyone wants in their pill for a good night out. i see on some reports things like mda, mdxx & mdma etc. now i have heard pma is dangerous - can anyone explain to me the differences in these chemicals & which is the best pill tester to obtain to turn up the nasties?
there are sooo many rumours about these different chemicals floating around that it would be good to have some clarification.

What is the difference between MDMA, MDEA, and MDA?
Chemically, they're all different kinds of a chemical group called 'phenethylamines'. Subjectively the differences are as follows:
MDMA – lovey, floaty, euphoric, empathic, visuals at high doses, duration 4-6 hours.
MDEA – stoney, heavy, shortness of breath, duration 4-6 hours.
MDA – some euphoria, noticeable visuals, energetic, duration 8-12 hours.
Please see www.erowid.org -> Plants & Drugs section for in-depth information.
All the above MDxx chemicals will test purple/black using Marquis test, and a more advanced tester such as EZ-Xtreme will allow the difference between MDA and MDMA/MDEA to be determined, after a purple/black Marquis result.
BigTrancer :)

so pills that are sometimes described as "dancy" (not speedy) and test positive to mdma could be mda or mdma & mda? also, are these variants (this prob sounds dumb :) ) any more dangeous, generally apeaking?

the 'terms' used to describe pills such a dancy, smacky etc are, as has been said before subjective and basically useless and annoying, as most of the effects rely on set, setting and dosage

Welcome to bluelight braveheart, and congratulations on an intelligent post. Nothing really more to add, BT pretty much always hits the nail on the head (I've never seen him go astray), so all I can add is a few suggestions.
Firstly, like BT said, erowid is a great place to look for information. Secondly, the search function is really handy, as the board has been around a few years, pretty much everything has been spoken about :)
A thread you may find really interesting to read is Loved up VS Fucked up. It's good to see you seeking some factual information, and please spread the word that there is NO HEROIN IN YOU PILLS :p~~

Agreed dogah...
In the past I've had 3 pills from the exact same batch (purchased at the same time) on three different occasions. The three experiences were like 3 different drugs entirely - one "smacky", one "dancey" and one "just plain fucking weird"...
Set and setting is a huge factor... set being the state of mind you're in at the time, and setting being the physical place and how suited to a particular experience it is. Setting can also include other physical factors like how much you've had to eat, and your general fitness at the time... :)
[ 04 April 2002: Message edited by: Pleonastic ]

so pills that are sometimes described as "dancy" (not speedy) and test positive to mdma could be mda or mdma & mda?
Depends which test you use. If you just use the marquis on it's own, then the type of pill you describe could contain mdma and/or mda (or mdxx and amphetamines, etc). Personally any pill that contains mdma or mda will make me dance (if I'm in the vicinity of DnB), it's not always that easy to tell whether you have taken mdma or mda based only on the effects you experience. Some people claim they can tell, and sometimes you can, but as others said, individuals will have completely different effects off the same pill on different occassions, so no effects can "prove" what a pill contains.
Also the dosage makes a big difference to the effects. Some people feel like they have had mdea or mda when they have a high dose of mdma.

This is why words like "smacky", "dancey", etc. are misleading and uninformative. IMHO it is far better to test the pill first (prior to eating it) and be able to confidently say "MDxx-based", "speed-based" etc. and then make your post-ingestion guesswork on the strength of the pill... than to rely on guesswork after the fact to determine what kind of pill it was.
OK so it doesn't sound quite so K3wL but who gives a fuck? At least you're able to reject speedbombs and adulterated pills that way, and you can make informed choices about what you want to take BEFORE taking it.

using those descriptions posted by BT, i'm quite sure i can say ive had far more MDEA and MDA than MDMA pills..
which is possibly sad, but yeah..
ill inlcude a little list so pepople can point out if they know, which ones were/werent MDMA.
pink butterfly
green bean
beige mercedes
orange alpha
red ferrari
pink channel
orange/pink HQ
dark green BB
light green clover
orange ying yang
green question mark
beige dome
green apple
blue barrel
white butterfly
green 2000
cream/off white 007
pink heart
pink playboy
orange U2
6 pointed white star
light blue MTV
orange SEX
pink kangaroo
all of them were MDXX but i just dont know which are which.
the green clover and the pink butterfly are the only pills which for me directly link with BT's description of MDMA.
[ 06 April 2002: Message edited by: melancholic ]

The original poster also asked about PMA. PMA is another amphetamine derivative that is not a member of the MD family. Makes you feel very charged up and excited but not happy or lovey. The reason PMA is dangerous is that it hits the body quite hard with effects like raised temperature and the lethal dose is not that far above the effective dose. If someone takes 5 PMA pills thinking they are MDMA they will likely die, and deaths occur on much less (several in south australia occurred on 3 pills). It also doesn't combine too well with MDMA so taking two MD pills and then a PMA pill would also not be good for you.
Now a little pet hate of mine: people blithely making judgements about what variety of MDXX they had based on their experience. It's not like you can produce a different MD variant than you intended by accident, it's not a matter of cooking it at the wrong temperature or something, you have to use whole different reagents. When pills are MDA (for example the cloud nines of last year) they are made to be MDA. Some people like MDA - the cloud nines were quite popular pills. I would be surprised if there are ANY MDEA pills at all in Australia. Just because you took a pill and felt smacked out doesn't mean it was MDEA. MDMA does that. Manufacturing MDEA is no less difficult than MDMA, so you might as well go for the genuine article. If you are getting ripped off, it is far far more likely to be speed and/or K than MDEA.
/rant.
Does anyone else think low doses of MDMA is what causes smackiness? I am usually a bit smacky on the comeup and also usually with bad pills. Is this rubbish, common knowledge, possible, or what?
Chris

i understand what you mean that just because my particular experience was such, it does not mean the pill was MDMA or MDA... but if the differences between them can be described, then the effects i received from certain pills can be described and categorised.
obviously, the setting and circumstances could have a major effect upon what effects i got from certain pills, however, if what BT described were simple definitions of the differences, then i can safely say that ive rarely had textbook MDMA experiences.
and i do know that its not an accident which variant of MD is mad when doing so, but im simply saying that if i use BT's description as a guide, i would bew describing far more of my pills as MDEA and MDA than MDMA...
of course this is totally subjective, i understand that most or all of the pills ive eaten could have been MDMA, and it may just be my body chemistry.

Melancholic: Remember that the subjective effects you experience may differ from the experiences of others - the general characteristics of the experience should be similar but your definition of loved-up or mood-lifting may differ from the definitions of other people.
The only serious way to define the contents of your pills is to use a chemical tester - and this is qualitative information using a tiny sample from the pill that can elucidate the difference as far as telling you if you have primary amine (MDA) or seconday amine (MDMA/MDEA). To go further than this, we look to gas chromatography/mass spectrometry testing, which is quantitative, consumes the entire pill sample, but gives accurate determination of the amount of each chemical present in the pill.